Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Mabel
Mabel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Add dictionary?

One of the great advantages of an ereader (or at least of my sony T3) is that i can, when reading books in a foreign language, just tap on a word and hey presto: a translation or explanation appears on screen. This feature alone could make it worth while to buy a reader, but to my astonishment it seems my device does not allow me to buy & load other dictionaries than the ones built in! There's a bunch of them and they are good-to-reasonable, but there's only one foreign language and I'd like at least 4 and of better quality as well. If I'm right and you can't add dictionaries I'm truly shocked: what a missed opportunity! I'd gladly pay twice the price of the reader itself for those additional dictionaries.
My question, then, is: are there readers around which will allow me to purchase and install additional dictionaries? And do they offer the same ease of use (just tapping on a word)?
Mabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle has some dictionaries in the store, I think. I've never needed any but the builtin ones. Several foreign languages are builtin (although they reside in your Cloud Library by default).

You can also add your own mobipocket dictionaries via USB and they will appear under Dictionaries.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices have dictionaries for eight languages. Plus translation dictionaries for to and from English for most of these. The dictionaries are not the best quality. Everyone says the Sony and Kindle are much better. But, there are ways to replace them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Pocketbook also offers dictionaries for most of their devices via their Obreyy store.
This might be a good choice, if you're interested in Russian or Ukrainian dictionaries.

You could also buy a cheap Android tablet and install an ebook app that supports StarDict dictionaries.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindle is by far the best choice if you want user-installable good commercial dictionaries. There are hundreds of different dictionaries for sale in the Kindle Store.

The moral of the story is "do your research before buying". It's no secret that you can't add dictionaries to a Sony.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-05-2014 at 05:56 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Mabel
Mabel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Thanks very much for the helpful reactions; yes doing some research beforehand is necessary - but very difficult indeed as most product-descriptions don't even mention dictionaries or, if they do, are very vague about them. A pity none of the answers here comments on the second part of my question, about the way dictionaries are used. Having to open a dictionary and typing in a word on the touch-screen keyboard is not my idea of 'user-friendly'. In contrast, on my device I simply tap on a word while reading a book and a short entry from the 'standard' dictionary (explanation or translation) appears in a window underneath the page. One more tap expands the entry to full page and allows changing the dictionary (while still retaining the same word-entry).
What I am still unsure about is whether other readers allow the same ease of use, with built-in or user-added dictionaries.
(By the way: there is just no way at all I could have known beforehand which dictionaries would come with my Sony. This is especially annoying in Europe - but that's another story.)
Mabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
A pity none of the answers here comments on the second part of my question, about the way dictionaries are used. Having to open a dictionary and typing in a word on the touch-screen keyboard is not my idea of 'user-friendly'. In contrast, on my device I simply tap on a word while reading a book and a short entry from the 'standard' dictionary (explanation or translation) appears in a window underneath the page. One more tap expands the entry to full page and allows changing the dictionary (while still retaining the same word-entry).
That's exactly the way it works on other touch-screen devices, too.

Quote:
(By the way: there is just no way at all I could have known beforehand which dictionaries would come with my Sony. This is especially annoying in Europe - but that's another story.)
Sure there's a way: ask right here. That's what we're here for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, sony