Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #166
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
I've released version 0.4.0.

Please note that the content of the main archive is no longer embedded within a .adds/plato directory.
  • I've removed the frontlight edges swipe interaction: I'm not using it.
  • You can now save the current frontlight levels. You can also load a saved preset. If there's at least two saved presets, the current frontlight levels can be interpolated based on the two nearest presets. The distance measurement is based on the light sensor level on the Aura ONE and on the minutes elapsed since midnight on every other model.
  • New setting: reader.finished. The possible values are "notify" and "close".
  • The representation of the frontlightLevels setting has changed: you'll have to remove it from your settings.json.
  • The build process is now documented thoroughly.

Last edited by baskerville; 04-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #167
MrCent
MrCent began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2012, Kobo Glo
How to change font?
MrCent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:08 AM   #168
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCent View Post
How to change font?
I'm assuming that you're referring to the default font used for reflowable formats. If so, the answer is here.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #169
MrCent
MrCent began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2012, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
I'm assuming that you're referring to the default font used for reflowable formats. If so, the answer is here.
Thx u, but I can't see location of user.css
MrCent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #170
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCent View Post
I can't see location of user.css
You'll have to create that file, as mentioned in the guide.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #171
JeanOlivier
JeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
First of all, good job on plato. It really is a nice reading app and it is now my default choice for PDFs/DJVUs. There's a lot of potential in this program! Très bon travail!

Quote:
[...]
  • I've removed the frontlight edges swipe interaction: I'm not using it.
[...]
I find this feature very useful if I pick up my reader in the dark and I want to turn on the front light without having to turn on a light and thus risking to wake up my girlfriend. Any way it could become an option? Or a way to blindly turn on the light to something like 5%?

I also have a few minor observations (I'm using the 0.4.0 release from your github):

- I noticed that most of my covers don't show up on Plato; when I select a book, the screen is blank instead of showing the book cover.

- All of the authors show up as Unknown Author in the book selection menu, even if I can see and select authors in the top bar, so that's a bit weird.

- If I press the TOC button on the bottom right, is there a way to close that screen without selecting an entry?

A last question, what is the wifi used for? It's nice to have the option but I fail to understand what Plato uses the internet for.

Thanks again for that nice program!

Last edited by JeanOlivier; 05-11-2018 at 03:07 PM.
JeanOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #172
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanOlivier View Post
First of all, good job on Plato
You're welcome.

Quote:
Or a way to blindly turn on the light to something like 5%?
Holding the bottom left corner will toggle the frontlight (all the gestures are described in the manual).

Quote:
- I noticed that most of my covers don't show up on Plato; when I select a book, the screen is blank instead of showing the book cover.
The problem comes from mupdf: it doesn't handle svg tags (but it handles SVG files). And sometimes, the cover is attached to an image tag within an svg tag.

Quote:
- All of the authors show up as Unknown Author in the book selection menu, even if I can see and select authors in the top bar, so that's a bit weird.
What you see in the summary bar are categories: by default, categories reflect the directory hierarchy. Of course, Plato has no way of knowing if a particular directory hierarchy at a given depth level is relevant in relation to the metadata. Unknown Author appears for each entry in .metadata.json where the author key is missing.

Quote:
- If I press the TOC button on the bottom right, is there a way to close that screen without selecting an entry?
You can tap the bottom left corner to toggle the TOC.

Quote:
A last question, what is the wifi used for?
Currently nothing. I personaly use the WiFi for debugging purpose (telnet, FTP).
Old 05-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #173
JeanOlivier
JeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for your answers! I still have a few questions if you don't mind.

How can I gather the metadata for my ebooks so plato is aware of them?

Is there a way to force custom fonts over the publisher's default? I can see my custom font with some ebooks, but not with all of them.

Also, I'd like to adjust the left/right and top/bottom margins as well as the weight/boldness of the font, how could I do that? Using user.css I guess?

Do you plan to implement a settings menu, or will it be managed using configuration files for the time being?

I think plato has a lot of potential, and it's leagues better looking than most homebrew alternatives too. I'm almost tempted to learn some rust!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #174
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanOlivier
How can I gather the metadata for my ebooks so plato is aware of them?
The metadata for each document is stored in .metadata.json (inside the libraryPath directory).

You could use the importer to do that. But the problem is that you'll need to dynamically link against mupdf and, by default, mupdf generates a static library.

Since you already have the author information within the categories array, you could write a script that modifies each entry in .metadata.json by copying the relevant parts of categories to the author key.

Quote:
Is there a way to force custom fonts over the publisher's default?
Have you tried appending !important at the end of your declarations?

E.g.:
Code:
body {
	font-family: "Foo Bar" !important;
}
Quote:
Also, I'd like to adjust the left/right and top/bottom margins as well as the weight/boldness of the font, how could I do that?
The ability to change the margins for each document will come later.

In the meantime, you can do it globally through user.css:
Code:
@page {
	margin: 1em;
}
Adjusting the degree of boldness of the default font isn't currently possible at it would require generating a new font on the fly by interpolating between two font families.

Quote:
Do you plan to implement a settings menu, or will it be managed using configuration files for the time being?
There will be a settings window.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #175
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast
lukeoftheaura began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Plato seems to sort my books slightly weirdly. My book is tagged in calibre as, for example, "The colour of magic" by "Terry Pratchett", but they show in plato as "The colour of magic - Terry Pratchett" by "unknown author". Also, my ebook library has changed a few times and plato doesn't seem to have updated based on that, and also now doesn't seem to be opening anything (this is on the 0.4 release).

EDIT: the fact books aren't opening seems to be based on it not rescanning my books, but I have tried deleting the metadata.json and it still hasn't rescanned.

EDIT EDIT: To clarify, basically I can't find a way to rescan my books to actually find them, and scanning seems a little weird.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: OK, it's working now. That's kinda weird.

Last edited by lukeoftheaura; 05-19-2018 at 04:00 PM.
lukeoftheaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #176
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Does plato have an option to change how often the screen full-refreshes to avoid ghosting problems?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #177
JeanOlivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeoftheaura View Post
Does plato have an option to change how often the screen full-refreshes to avoid ghosting problems?
You can long press the middle of the screen to force a full refresh. There's probably a setting for the number of pages too, but I'm not aware of it.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:46 AM   #178
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

I also apologise if this is getting a little spammy but is there a way to force plato to reload the list of books that are on the device?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #179
baskerville
Evangelist

@lukeoftheaura

Importing metadata from ePUBs can be achieved with plato-import -M <library_path>. This is out of reach for many users and, as a consequence, the addition of a menu item that would perform the same task is planned.

If you connect your device to a computer (via Plato), an import will occur when you eject the relevant disk.

The setting that defines the period of the full screen refreshes is refreshEvery (cf. settings.json).
Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #180
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
What you see in the summary bar are categories: by default, categories reflect the directory hierarchy. Of course, Plato has no way of knowing if a particular directory hierarchy at a given depth level is relevant in relation to the metadata. Unknown Author appears for each entry in .metadata.json where the author key is missing.
Using calibre, what directory structure would you recommend?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote