Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #361
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sounds good to me!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #362
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Great! Then that will be the plan.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #363
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now is the time to choose May's topic!

Any and all ideas are appreciated; just post! We are very flexible with the approach to our monthly topic and it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else may work. We're looking forward to any ideas offered and the floor is now open!

Bookworm_Girl suggests this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have been brainstorming some ideas too. I was thinking something about an unusual Point of View in the book, but I haven't figured out a clever way to express it. Hope that makes sense!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #364
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

For the topic name, I like 'An Unusual Point of View', or 'An Unusual Viewpoint' or 'An Unusual Perspective'; something like that. I'm wondering more what we'd give for the brief topic description in the OP.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #365
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
A different point of view could apply to a story written from a minority social/spiritual/gender perspective. Perhaps it might incorporate an iconoclastic approach such as a narrative which views the Mount Rushmore sculpture as an insult to Native American culture. I don’t know of a book which actually uses that specific topic but such works can often be both challenging and revelatory.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #366
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

That sounds great, fantasyfan. I think we're set for May now.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #367
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, thanks very much!
Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #368
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I might try two new things I’ve been thinking on. One is to make the texts of posts as the club runner a different colour. With a small club I often have to post multiple times in a row, sometimes as club runner and sometimes as a participant. This would help distinguish between the posts. I would want it to be a subtler, muted colour, and it couldn’t be close to green. I was thinking maybe a brown or dark orange.

The other thing is that I might try posting each week in the discussion thread of the current selection asking how everyone is doing with it. This might be a small gesture that could spur on discussion. My biggest concern is that I might miss some weeks or not be perfectly consistent on the timing of the posts but as long as everyone is okay with that I might like to give it a try.

What does everyone think?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #369
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Yes, I like the ideas.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #370
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

All right, I'll try them both out.

I've started with May's selection thread using brown as the colour. I might prefer an even darker/subtler brown but the text colour selection is limited. I may play around with it a little more in the coming months.

I'll also begin with May's selection of making a weekly post asking about progress, as best as I can remember to anyway. And we can see how that goes.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #371
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Now is the time to choose June's topic!

Any and all ideas are appreciated; just post! We are very flexible with the approach to our monthly topic and it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else may work. This is a collaborative approach and even any small idea or addition that others may build on is welcome. We're looking forward to any ideas offered and the floor is now open!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #372
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've had a few new ideas to play with.

The first is because June is the club's birthday month and we'll turn eight years old. So I was thinking something along the lines of 'birthdays, parties and celebrations'. This would be a pretty open topic but would focus on books with prominent celebrations of some sort, or perhaps a significant birth or birthday. Then there's a few meanings of the word 'party' that could be inspiration. And of course a book with any of those main words in the title, or even just a celebratory title, could work.

The second is something to do with 'new'. I always liked the Contemporary category we used to have but was trying to think how to transform it into a topic similar to what we usually have now, so I was thinking of the word new and some idioms that include it with its meaning being a focus of the expression that could be good topics:

-Dawn of a New Day. This one could not only include any new/contemporary books, but also books relating to 'dawns'/sunrises/etc., or books about a character or characters having a big change of life or emerging from tribulations, or maybe books about a societal change happening, or books with 'new', 'dawn', or 'day' in the title, or maybe simply books about hope or optimism since that's a major component of the expression.

-Something New Under the Sun. This is an alteration of the classic expression 'nothing new under the sun'. This would of course include any new/contemporary books as well as any books about something new, novel or innovative, and people could play with the 'under the sun' part to have nominations relating to the sun or the words 'under' or 'sun'.

Some other thoughts are 'a new light', 'ring in the new', 'that's a new one' or 'what's new?'. Another possibility is 'Fresh Blood' which even without the word 'new' would include any new/contemporary books but could also have something to do characters going into a new situation where they might be considered fresh blood, or maybe books with blood, violence, murder, etc. We could also go with simply 'New' as the topic if we're feeling minimalist.

If anyone likes any of these or has any suggestions/alterations/additions to any of these, or any separate ideas of you own, please post!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #373
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Something New Under the Sun seems to me to be able to open up plenty of interesting possibilities in both fiction and nonfiction.

I would be happy to go with that.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #374
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Great! June’s topic is settled.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #375
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Now is the time to choose July's topic!

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea is great.

The floor is now open!