Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Health Issues one could have avoided

Throughout the month of August my left foot was swollen and at times slightly painful. I thought it was just sprained and carried on.

Early September my right elbow started to get painful and after a few days swollen. This was made worse by the fact I was driving a Sprinter for work that had no running board on the driver's side, and I was clambering in by hauling myself in by the steering wheel.

I finally broke down and went to the Emergency department of the local hospital where I was told I had a broken ankle (!) and cellulitis on the elbow. I was put in a removable cast on the foot / leg and put on an IV antibiotic drip for a week, and given two appointments the following week to have the ankle examined on the Monday and the elbow ooh the Tuesday.

The following Monday I finally admitted under questioning from the Doctor to being diabetic and not having taken care of it for several years! I was given a follow up for the next week at another campus of the hospital to see an orthopedic surgeon and have a full contact cast.

On the Tuesday I saw another Doctor for the elbow who told me it was Bursitis and that he wanted to operate later that day to drain the pus from the elbow. I was admitted that afternoon, had surgery and spent the rest of the week in hospital consulting with other Doctors on my diabetes.

Finally when I got to see the surgeon and have the cast, I was diagnosed with Charcot Foot.

Since then I've been in a cast the whole time, had both a bone scan and gallium scan (looks at the tissues in your body for signs of infection). I'm currently waiting for a date for surgery which will probably remove some bone from my foot and fuse other bones.

At least on the bright side I've done wonders in bringing my blood sugars down to bring in range via both major diet changes and a combination of insulin and pills.

I've been off work since mid September and have been told that post surgery, recovery can be several months.

Why am I writing this (and starting this thread)?

Simply put, to remind you that if you have medical issues, don't ignore them; take the necessary steps to treat the issue. Don't do as I did and ignore the problem.

Anyone else have a health issue they ignored?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Back in the 90s, I started having a lot of...digestive upset. Mostly pain after eating, but also back and forth between being constipated and being anything but! The doctor suggested one thing after another and I "treated" it based on the guess of the moment. Numerous friends told me to have my gallbladder checked and I couldn't imagine that being it - I was too young for that!

I started not being able to keep meals down, dropped 30 pounds in a few months (and yes, vain enough to actually like that), and spending hours standing with my head leaning into a cool corner in my hallway while I tried to concentrate on making my body relax.

Finally went back to the doc and suggested she check for gallbladder. And yes, of course, that was it. When they got in there and removed it, it was so infected it might have been just days/weeks away from going gangrenous.

It was relatively simple surgery and was back to work within 3 days.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Health issues, let me count the ways. Le'see:
  • Ulcerative Colitis
    Hypertension
    Macular degeneration
    Cataracts
    Type 2 diabetes
    Bursitis

Most of which are either in remission or being treated.

I was given a lifetime of excellent health, and I abused it. Now I'm paying for it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just a quick update. Monday saw the surgeon and has an x-ray taken of the foot. He's pleased with how it's going, and prescribed a different type of cast; something called a Charcot Restraint Orthotic Walker or CROW that allows you to walk and is removable at night (sleep well be nice).

Tuesday I went and had a mould taken of my foot and leg so the new CROW can be made, and also had my other foot measured for an orthopedic insole. They'll all be ready a week Friday so let's see how that goes.

I was floored though as to the cost. Over $3000 Canadian. Thank goodness the government pays 75% of that.

A week later back to the surgeon and with any luck I can get the ok to drive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Wow Peter, I am glad you are okay. Happy that the others posting on the thread seem to be reporting good news as well. Or at least not terrible news!

I recently resumed a stressful job and rather than go out and party or partake of things which might make the time between paychecks 'go by faster' I have started getting serious about sleeping at a regular hour (by 10 PM most nights) and eating as healthy as possible. I haven't had any alcohol in a few weeks or smoked a cigarette in almost as long. It is tough, but I figure I am not too old and have enough 'problems' with this body. I broke my ankle the other year and having an active occupation I still notice it often. Maybe should have likely gotten some sort of corrective surgery? Fortunately it happened in the States but never made it back for a checkup. Just as bad maybe is sleeping with an open mouth. Never imagined it would turn into such an issue but my deviated septum has made it almost impossible to sleep with my mouth closed, further exasperating other dental issues and leading to somewhat serious gum recession and fairly consistent bleeding.

I am choosing to read the writing on the wall and see how long I can keep up this lifestyle. Must seem like small things compared to what others experience I know, but in my petty and subjective reality, combined with losing my hair, it feels like the sky is falling!

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-30-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I remember getting to feel a bit run down and not thinking enough of it. Then I ended up in the hospital. I had pneumonia, was diabetic and had a blood sugar of 597! I was also in ketoacidosis at the time. I've had my problems since though mostly blood sugar related. In fact I was around 190 lbs last january before coming down with the flu twice (once in January and once in March). I dropped down to 170 lbs by March and with eating less and getting more exercise I am down to 157 lbs now. That means I have to take less insulin with my meals and I am back within my weight range (118lbs - 159 lbs). Of course having a beautiful fiancee to spend time with has proven an incentive as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lisa and friend at the Manor.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	168076  
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote