Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #106
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaria View Post
I ask because, from what I understand, my Kobo already has series metadata support. (My setup: Load books into Calibre -> Manually edit the Series metadata -> Wireless sync (+automated conversion to kepub) using calibre-web -> Books appear in the top "Series" tab under "My Books".)
Yes, if you're using the Kobo Store, or something which re-implements it (like calibre-web), there's no need for NickelSeries (but it won't cause issues if you do have it).

Quote:
Reading between the lines here, I see mention of plugging and unplugging Kobo devices. Does this mean that NickelSeries is intended for people who are sideloading books in a more traditional manner?
Yes.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaria View Post
Reading between the lines here, I see mention of plugging and unplugging Kobo devices. Does this mean that NickelSeries is intended for people who are sideloading books in a more traditional manner?
What do you mean by sideloading books in a more traditional manner? Last time I looked, a USB connection was the traditional method of sideloading books.

What NickelSeries saves is the second connection to copy metadata to the database entry created in the first connect (copy books to ereader, safely disconnect, import books creating database entries). Which is okay if you are not sending items such as words, pages, estimated time to read, etc.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2023, 11:32 PM   #108
vivaria
Karuta Pro
vivaria began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What do you mean by sideloading books in a more traditional manner? Last time I looked, a USB connection was the traditional method of sideloading books.
What you've written is exactly what I meant!

(To clarify: I'm sideloading books in a non-traditional manner, i.e. wirelessly through Kobo's built-in sync + calibre-web.)

geek1011 answered my questions precisely.
vivaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #109
zdv80
zdv80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using the PageCount plugin and two custom columns, I configured the KoboTouch driver to send the information to my Kobos. I've attached the column setup and KoboTouch driver setup images. Note that if you want to use the time to read estimates, you will likely need to change the divisors since they reflect reading speed.
Thanks for your answer DNSB! The strange thing is that if I go to the "Metadata" tab in the Kobo Touch settings I don't have the option "Book stats" Only "subtitle" and then "update purchased books"... And I think that I'm using the latest version of Kobo Touch Extended and Count Pages plugin...

what could it be?
zdv80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:30 AM   #110
Patrick Faret
Enthusiast
Patrick Faret began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Elipsa 2e
Nickel séries

Hello, can I implement Nickel series without installing Nikel menu. Or does Nickel series need Nickel menu?
Thank you for your reply
Patrick Faret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 01:34 PM   #111
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Faret View Post
Hello, can I implement Nickel series without installing Nikel menu. Or does Nickel series need Nickel menu?
Thank you for your reply
They're separate.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:24 AM   #112
Patrick Faret
Enthusiast
Patrick Faret began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Elipsa 2e
Hello,
does the Nickel series plugin also integrate collection metadata?
Thank you
Patrick Faret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:18 PM   #113
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Hello,
Thank you
If you mean Kobo collections, no.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:44 AM   #114
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Hello,
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
If you mean Kobo collections, no.
Presumably because Collection(s) can be set at book transfer time and series needs the second connection after a book is imported if Nickel series not is used? Clue in name?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:10 PM   #115
RodasQ
RodasQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello, I need some help.

I installed NickelSeries on a Libra 2 running firmware version 4.38.21908, but after testing, the subtitle isn't passing without connecting a second time to the PC.

Keep in mind that I'm using the template "{#subseries} {#subseries_index}" for the subtitle on KoboTouchExtended. It works if I connect the Kobo a second time.

Shouldn't NickelSeries bypass the need for this second connection?
RodasQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:37 PM   #116
RodasQ

I installed NickelSeries on a Libra 2 running firmware version 4.38.21908, but after testing, the subtitle isn't passing without connecting a second time to the PC.

Keep in mind that I'm using the template "{#subseries} {#subseries_index}" for the subtitle on KoboTouchExtended. It works if I connect the Kobo a second time.

KoboTouchExtended is set to "update metadata on device" and "sending books to devices" set to "Automatic management"
Old 03-11-2024, 01:58 PM   #117
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodasQ View Post
Hello, I need some help.

Shouldn't NickelSeries bypass the need for this second connection?
I don't use NickelSeries myself but I seem to remember, for Subtitle to be populated during the first USB connection, the subtitle text needs to exist in a calibre custom column with lookup name #subtitle. There was some discussion about it in the early parts of this thread.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:37 PM   #118
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
NickelSeries works automatically using the default Series column in calibre.

If you want to also add another item, you need the custom column #subtitle. I use that for the page count. So on a single connect, NickelSeries sends both the Series (on the Series line) and the Page Count (on the subtitle line).
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:00 PM   #119
RodasQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't use NickelSeries myself but I seem to remember, for Subtitle to be populated during the first USB connection, the subtitle text needs to exist in a calibre custom column with lookup name #subtitle. There was some discussion about it in the early parts of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
NickelSeries works automatically using the default Series column in calibre.

If you want to also add another item, you need the custom column #subtitle. I use that for the page count. So on a single connect, NickelSeries sends both the Series (on the Series line) and the Page Count (on the subtitle line).
Thanks, will try change the custom columm name
Old 03-12-2024, 02:50 PM   #120
RodasQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Changed, and confirmed that still not works. But works after second

This info is embebed in the opf file

"#subtitle": {
"#extra#": 2.0,
"#value#": "Volume",
"category_sort": "value",
"colnum": 3,
"column": "value",
"datatype": "series",
"display": {
"description": ""
}