Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast
Dixiemsala began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle 2
pdf library books for 350

I know that I have read about this before. I bought my Sony 350 just for library books (I own a Kindle). I have thoroughly enjoyed being able to check out ebooks for the Free Library of Philadelphia (I live in Alabama and there are very few, if any, libraries with ebooks--none where I live).

Up until yesterday, all my library books had been epub. Yesterday, when I had a first-time experience of a book refusing to download to the 350, I realized it was a PDF. I thought that I recalled posts here saying that a problem with some of the Sony readers is that you couldn't have both pdf and epub books on the reader at the same time. But, I thought that the 350 had solved that.

I have 2 free classics on my reader. If I delete them from the reader but keep them in my library, should I be able to read a pdf book then? I'll admit that I didn't try that because it just occured to me. These two classics were downloaded just in case I was out somewhere (without my Kindle which has many, many books on it) and finished a library book.
Dixiemsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The 350 does not have the problem of library PDFs and ePubs on the Reader at the same time.

What specifically was the problem you encountered when loading the PDF to the 350?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I can confirm that having PDFs and ePubs (both from the library and not) on the 350 at the same time does not seem to cause this issue.

Awaiting a response to grooks query.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Agreed -- when I got my 650 I specifically checked for that, and both library books opened fine. What do you mean by "refused"?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
I had both PDF and Epub on my 350 and experienced no problem.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The LIBRARY problem, with PDF and ePubs co-existing on the reader, was fixed on the PRS900 and all subsequent machines including the entire x50 range... wharever is causing the OPs problem, it isn't that...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast

Okay, thanks to all repliers. Maybe I just should have tried another pdf. When I tried to download from the "real" library to the Sony library, it said "failed." I tried several times. I guess that I should try another pdf book.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
It may have been a problem with the "real" library server. I sometimes try to check out an ebook but it doesn't sucessfully download to the Sony software. In these cases I will just wait about 15-30 before trying again.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast

Thanks again to all. I guess that I just gave up too soon, having read about this problem with other models. I just successfully downloaded the book that wouldn't download last night. I appreciate all the comments and help.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Glad it worked out... you did what we all do sometimes... have a problem, rings a bell, see that others have had it and try the same solutions... sometimes a problem is jsut a temporary glitch and fixes itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemsala View Post
Thanks again to all. I guess that I just gave up too soon, having read about this problem with other models. I just successfully downloaded the book that wouldn't download last night. I appreciate all the comments and help.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Glad it worked out for you!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote