Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #556
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnselmD View Post
Nice Idea, thies could help me partly.

i tried, it, but it does not work.

After defining the VL, starting Duplicate finder:
Analyzing 0 books for duplicates...

After that the VL is empty, i think Duplicate finder deletes the marks.
Correct. Duplicate finder Uses Marks, so it deletes any that WERE there at the beginning of the run.
That does not stop you from modifying (adding/removing) those present DURING the run.

As long as you do not fire off something else, marks remain at the end of the run
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #557
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Correct. Duplicate finder Uses Marks, so it deletes any that WERE there at the beginning of the run.
That does not stop you from modifying (adding/removing) those present DURING the run.

As long as you do not fire off something else, marks remain at the end of the run
If you use Find Duplicates->Clear duplicate results (ctrl+shift+c) when you've finished deduping then all Marks are removed. With the exception of any duplicate groups that are flagged as 'exempt', they will retain their Marks and those Marks will persist because they get reinstated when calibre starts.

This has been a problem ever since the Mark books function was made available as a user initiated feature. Prior to that Mark books was an internal function, which was only used by this PI and maybe one or two others*.

Added - * like Extract ISBN, see latest post in its thread, same problem.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-29-2016 at 04:25 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #558
Kokoro Fasching
Sanity Free
Kokoro Fasching began at the beginning.

Device: Slate 2mBC
I would like to confirm something please. When I do a Find Duplicates in Libraries, the list that is returned is only the duplicate books in the current active library? It does not show the books that was in the library that was compared against, correct?

i.e. I am in Library Import - and I do a Compare Libraries, and select library Master, the list of possible duplicates are only the books in library Import?

Thank you in advance.
Kokoro Fasching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #559
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro Fasching View Post
I would like to confirm something please. When I do a Find Duplicates in Libraries, the list that is returned is only the duplicate books in the current active library? It does not show the books that was in the library that was compared against, correct?

i.e. I am in Library Import - and I do a Compare Libraries, and select library Master, the list of possible duplicates are only the books in library Import?

Thank you in advance.
That's how I use it - i.e. run it from Secondary and compare to Primary.

To look into the Primary at the same time, I access it via the calibre-server command.

BR
Old 03-21-2016, 03:23 AM   #560
stanmarsh
Enthusiast
stanmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab
I like to share a faster hash checker i found called xxHash, https://cyan4973.github.io/xxHash/

This could be used to make the plugin binary compare faster.

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-21-2016 at 04:22 AM. Reason: fix badly formed link
stanmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #561
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
I like to share a faster hash checker i found called xxHash, https://cyan4973.github.io/xxHash/

@stanmarsh - the developer of the plugin is currently inactive

Unless one of the other PI developers is especially interested in doing the work, the best way to see if there's any interest is for you to incorporate your find into the plugin and then to offer it as an 'experimental' version to those interested in testing it (not me - I never do binary compares).

BR
Old 03-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #562
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post

As BR said, the author isn't active, but if problems are found in his plugins, someone usually fixes them.

But, this wouldn't be an attractive change. It's a compiled library. I don't think including it in the plugin is practical as there would need to be different versions for each OS. As calibre comes with its own Python installation, I think it would need to be included there to be useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #563
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@davidfor - if the xxHash library could be encapsulated into an executable, then maybe it would be possible to loosely couple' it into a PI, much as the wordconv.exe is in the Doc Input PI or the Prince program is in Jelby's Prince PDF PI.

BR
Old 03-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #564
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wouldn't the hash be affected by fairly 'minor' Calibre activities, like Polish, Which updates the cover and jacket?

The book is the same otherwise
Old 03-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #565
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@davidfor - if the xxHash library could be encapsulated into an executable, then maybe it would be possible to loosely couple' it into a PI, much as the wordconv.exe is in the Doc Input PI or the Prince program is in Jelby's Prince PDF PI.
Yes, but it means someone has to create it. Both of the other examples are using pre-existing applications. Plus, they are run once per book. In this case, I suspect the cost of starting the executable to calculate the hash would outweigh the benefit. I might be wrong, but I'm not interested enough to do the work needed to do the tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wouldn't the hash be affected by fairly 'minor' Calibre activities, like Polish, Which updates the cover and jacket?

The book is the same otherwise
Yes, but stanmarsh is suggesting it for the binary compare. And that is going to be affected by these things. But, if there is a match, then the files are definitely identical.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #566
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I haven't looked at how this plugin does binary compare, but surely it only computes hashes if file sizes are first found to be identical? In which case, is hash implementation speed really a significant bottleneck?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #567
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, but it means someone has to create it. Both of the other examples are using pre-existing applications. Plus, they are run once per book. In this case, I suspect the cost of starting the executable to calculate the hash would outweigh the benefit. I might be wrong, but I'm not interested enough to do the work needed to do the tests.
@davidfor - I did write '...Unless one of the other PI developers is especially interested in doing the work...' - I didn't think any of them would be. But we ought not discourage stanmarsh from experimenting - new PI developers may not be hens teeth but nor do they grow on trees

If you drill into the link provided you get to code, at a glance it appears to written in C++, can a PI call a dll, can a...

<joke>Maybe one could run an always enabled service that encaps the algo</joke>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In which case, is hash implementation speed really a significant bottleneck?
Only on very, very, very large libraries

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-21-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #568
whismerhill
Connoisseur
whismerhill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4(mine) & Kindle Touch(wife)
Hi, this plugin is great
however I wanted to report that the "find duplicates by title" option didn't always work out for me
seems like for example it would never find out that :
"[series name - series number]bookname"
is the same as :
"bookname"
(all in the title of course)

I tried : Fuzzy, Similar, Soundex(99)

Thanks though, it's still a superb plugin.
whismerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #569
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
I see the Author is not active.

Question, is there a way to search for Binary dups in a portion of my library? verses doing a dup search of my whole library? For example I want to do a search for duplicates among only the books by "Steven King"?

I can have Calibre display only the books by a specific author, but how do I tell the plug in I only want to check for Duplicates in that set of books?

Thanks
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #570
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
I see the Author is not active.

Question, is there a way to search for Binary dups in a portion of my library? verses doing a dup search of my whole library? For example I want to do a search for duplicates among only the books by "Steven King"?

I can have Calibre display only the books by a specific author, but how do I tell the plug in I only want to check for Duplicates in that set of books?

Thanks
Most plugins respect Virtual Libraries as limits <<<
Some Plugins have a Selected books option

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates