Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
LibreOffice to Compose, Calibre to Convert

I don't mind doing a little CSS cleaning, but I'd like to minimize it. Are there any suggestions to produce the cleanest ePub in the first place?

eg, I find silly classes in the CSS where I've made corrections in the ODT, and I can't find a setting in LO that might be producing them.

I use a good template with simple styles.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I don't mind doing a little CSS cleaning, but I'd like to minimize it. Are there any suggestions to produce the cleanest ePub in the first place?

eg, I find silly classes in the CSS where I've made corrections in the ODT, and I can't find a setting in LO that might be producing them.

I use a good template with simple styles.
Have you tried the Writer to EPUB PI?
It seems to do good, at least for standard Fiction (little or no illustrations)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
D.F.Rodri.
D.F.Rodri. began at the beginning.

Device: none
I personally do this and don't find any problems with it. As soon as you understand how to setup everything properly at LibreOffice, it ends being easy to convert any docx to epub with Calibre.

In mines, with LibreOffice+Calibre, all I need to do is to change the default CSS of the epub generated by Calibre for the one I previously made, add a cover and an index and it's ready to roll.
D.F.Rodri. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have you tried the Writer to EPUB PI?
It seems to do good, at least for standard Fiction (little or no illustrations)
I have used W2E. That's how I originally did things, before I knew anything about ePubs, much less CSS. I tried it since posting this question and found that it made a pretty good ePub that was quite easy to work with in Calibre, especially after using the "Remove unused CSS rules" tool. All told, I found it easier to work with than a direct Calibre conversion. It does seem to leave out the "silly classes" I mentioned in the first post.

I would still like to know if there is a LO setting that causes those "silly classes."
Old 02-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F.Rodri. View Post
I personally do this and don't find any problems with it. As soon as you understand how to setup everything properly at LibreOffice, it ends being easy to convert any docx to epub with Calibre.

In mines, with LibreOffice+Calibre, all I need to do is to change the default CSS of the epub generated by Calibre for the one I previously made, add a cover and an index and it's ready to roll.
I would love to set up everything properly in LO. Can you think of what setting might be causing the Calibre conversion to create the "silly classes?"

When you change the CSS, how do you get the code to match? For instance, what if your CSS has <p class="p-p1"> where the Calibre generated CSS has <p class="p-p2">? I would like to have a standard CSS, but this problem has always stopped me from doing it.
Advert
Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
RJB, I'm a big fan of Sigil. I do the Text Body "style" in LO. I then turn the .odt into .html in LO. Then plop the .html into a text editor (I use Kate). There I clean up the little bit of cruft in it. (It takes less than a half hour for a 60K words .odt.) From there I plop the clean .html into Sigil. (And there I use a CSS style sheet for the whole epub.) The epub produced in Sigil has almost always needed no tweaks and passes epub check the first time around. (My 2 cents.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
arjaybe
Wizard

Thanks Gregg. Your two cents always appreciated.-)
Old 03-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I use LibreOffice for creating EPUBs, but I use the "Export to Epub" that gets installed with the writer2xhtml extension.

This has the advantage that when it writes the epub the names of the LO Styles maps to the classes used in the css. So if I have a LO style called "noindent" then it generates a <p class="noindent"> paragraph and the appropriate css style. Being able to use meaningful style names without having to examine them to work out what say "calibre27" was used for is very useful.

I also use a couple of other add-ons to LO that help in fixing and tidying up the odt file - there are some excellent macros in the OOOFBTools add-in even if you don't want FB2 output - the stuff that generates footnotes from simple [1] etc type references for instance is excellent once you get the hang of how to use it. The Alternative Search add-on also gives me a "library" of transformations based on regex - easy to do the things like changing "markdown" italics based on underscores to proper italics and making Chapter headings into proper headings that then get processed by the export routine as separate files within the epub.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I'm considering converting some game-reference notes to epub. Right now I'm writing the chapters as separate files, and some reference data as separate spreadsheets. Is it possible to merge spreadsheets into Epub?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I use LibreOffice for creating EPUBs, but I use the "Export to Epub" that gets installed with the writer2xhtml extension.

This has the advantage that when it writes the epub the names of the LO Styles maps to the classes used in the css. So if I have a LO style called "noindent" then it generates a <p class="noindent"> paragraph and the appropriate css style. Being able to use meaningful style names without having to examine them to work out what say "calibre27" was used for is very useful. [...]
Ditto. This lets you take the additional step replacing the CSS with one prepared earlier - already primed with the same names. So now every conversion I do ends up using the same, already tested, CSS.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I'm considering converting some game-reference notes to epub. Right now I'm writing the chapters as separate files, and some reference data as separate spreadsheets. Is it possible to merge spreadsheets into Epub?
I think you will need to convert the spreadsheets into tables in LO Writer and use them in your EPUB conversion.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
arjaybe
Wizard

I've done one this way recently and I find that the CSS produced by W2E is smaller and cleaner than the CSS produced by Calibre. Then I do a little more editing with Calibre. I'll have to see about saving a good CSS and then importing it into subsequent W2E exports. It would be nice to know that all output is formatted identically.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not a free program but Scrivener can export your text as an epub among other formats. They have a 30 day free trial as well. You can even import text from LO into the program and using hashmarks break the text up into scenes or chapters automatically when it imports.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Not a free program but Scrivener can export your text as an epub among other formats. They have a 30 day free trial as well. You can even import text from LO into the program and using hashmarks break the text up into scenes or chapters automatically when it imports.
This is what I own and use. It's a wonderful program for writing.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
arjaybe
Wizard

I respect everyone's right to use whatever software they choose, and I have my reasons for using Free Software.