Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #31
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
...and thats just what it was. I'm strongly suspecting some pro-Nook bias here.
Nope. I think that screen at the bottom is stupid and being able to loan a book out only once is idiotic. If your going to give a loaning option it should be unlimited, but I agree with only one person at a time being able to read it. You may think you are paraphrasing Bezos, but I don't think you're even close to being accurate. But I think you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to disagree. So please don't take this personally.

Quote:
Those reviews threw you off?
No I have a Kindle 2. It just didn't meet my needs. I need a larger reader to be able to read some pdf books I have and 6 inches ain't going to cut it and I don't think the Kindle DX does a very good job of it either from all of the information I've read on Mobileread. And from everything I've seen of the nook I don't see it as adding anything useful to me.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #32
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I didn't really expect him to praise the competition either. Thorny question for Mr Bezos, lame answer ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Supplier critical of rival supplier.

Bears defecate in woods.

Pope revealed to be catholic.

And in other news ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I don't have a problem with Bezo's answers. She started the interviewing by asking him what he thought of a competitor's fancy new product. Who does that?

His response that he didn't want to discuss their product was certainly appropriate. Her very next question was another Nook related question. No wonder Bezos came off like he was in a bad mood -- he probably was.

*snip*
Not to add fuel to the fire or anything here, but when RobertB of Astak did this exact same thing about the Cool-er, he got jumped on from here to San Francisco. If we're going to excuse Bezos for doing it, then we have to excuse RobertB too. Admittedly, RobertB didn't beat around the bush with his answer like Bezos tried to, but still.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #33
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Not to add fuel to the fire or anything here, but when RobertB of Astak did this exact same thing about the Cool-er, he got jumped on from here to San Francisco. If we're going to excuse Bezos for doing it, then we have to excuse RobertB too. Admittedly, RobertB didn't beat around the bush with his answer like Bezos tried to, but still.
Content of an interview where one is cornered into the implication of saying something derogatory about a competing product is a far cry from running from thread to thread on a message board declaring competing products as crap and promoting the products from your company. That is not what a site like MR is about. It is not a forum for mfg, vendors or other interested parties to come and shill their wares over others to the level of insinuating their company's products in threads about competing products. That is the difference between the unethical behavior that was shown here on multiple occasions and that of what happened in an INTERVIEW. Last time I looked Bezos was not here on MR running down the nook or other devices for that matter.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #34
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
You know, if someone in Bezos' position (running the company) is asked to comment on the competition, you can't really dump on him for being less than enthusiastic. He wasn't especially critical; even his comment about the weakness of the lending implementation was fairly mild (compared with what the Ballmers of this world might have said).

Myself, I think he deserves credit for diplomacy.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #35
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
She won't do it again.
I'm sure she'll do it again as often as is needed to maintain Mobileread's reputation for integrity.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #36
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I didn't really expect him to praise the competition either. Thorny question for Mr Bezos, lame answer ...
I'm no fan of Bezos and the order of answers in that quote is amusing but I don't think his actual point about the lending limitation, one person one time, is lame at all. In fact, it is kind of insulting to me that B&N would even bother with such a feature when it is neutered to near uselessness.

One person, one time, and 14 days. What if that one person can't finish it in 14 days? Too bad. What if a year later you want to lend it again? Too bad.

These are the same artificial limits we've always had with DRM with one single one-time, extremely limited exception that comes off, to me at least, as more of a slap in the face reminder of the kind of anti-consumer inverted control scheme that publishers have been masturbating to at board meetings for the last decade.

In fact, in actual practice, I imagine for many people that sharing a single amazon account, say... within a family, would actually be quite a bit better. You have issues with shared annotations and page updates if two people read the same book at once, but, otherwise you have unlimited access to up to four devices/people or whatever the lowest limit is. Though, I am not sure Bezos wants to say that out loud because I doubt publishers are happy about anyone ever getting access without paying again, and again, and again... *sigh*

Of course, the correct solution is to eliminate the digital shackles and allow people the freedom to choose to violate the law or not on their own as is the normal case in life.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #37
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm not disagreeing with anyone. I just wanted to point out that sharing Amazon accounts aren't ideal. Sharing and Amazon account works fine if you are a parent sharing an account with a spouse and children, but beyond that it is not a lot of help. I have a Kindle, and as of this Christmas so will my mom and my sister. However, we can't really share an account because we are all adults that buy our own things, and an account is tied to a single credit card number. (Well if it were tied to my sister's credit card number then I suppose that would be ok. )

I think it would be nice if we actually could lend ebooks with one another.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #38
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with anyone. I just wanted to point out that sharing Amazon accounts aren't ideal. Sharing and Amazon account works fine if you are a parent sharing an account with a spouse and children, but beyond that it is not a lot of help. I have a Kindle, and as of this Christmas so will my mom and my sister. However, we can't really share an account because we are all adults that buy our own things, and an account is tied to a single credit card number. (Well if it were tied to my sister's credit card number then I suppose that would be ok. )

I completely agree. It's not ideal at all. But, neither is a one time 14 day lend-out.

But hey! At least with Amazon it's super easy to strip DRM then make your own conscious decisions about what you do with copying. On BN.com you can easily strip the eReader DRM but whatever happens with their ePub offering remains to be seen...
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #39
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
. . . I have a Kindle, and as of this Christmas so will my mom and my sister. However, we can't really share an account because we are all adults that buy our own things, and an account is tied to a single credit card number. . . .

It's a similar situation with the Sony. However, I share an account with my son (who is an adult and on his own, living elsewhere) on my credit card. Even though we often prefer to read different books, there is some commonality. But more importantly, I know that if he orders books, he will pay for them by reimbursing me. What the shared accounts require, above all else, is trust.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #40
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It's a similar situation with the Sony. However, I share an account with my son (who is an adult and on his own, living elsewhere) on my credit card. Even though we often prefer to read different books, there is some commonality. But more importantly, I know that if he orders books, he will pay for them by reimbursing me. What the shared accounts require, above all else, is trust.
I come from a family of procrastonators. Nobody would intentionally not pay back a family member, but exactly when they got around to doing it is another thing. Definately not worth the hassle in my opinion.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #41
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
I completely agree. It's not ideal at all. But, neither is a one time 14 day lend-out.

But hey! At least with Amazon it's super easy to strip DRM then make your own conscious decisions about what you do with copying. On BN.com you can easily strip the eReader DRM but whatever happens with their ePub offering remains to be seen...
I didn't know that eReader DRM had been cracked. I thought you had to unlock it using you credit card number on each individual device. I'm pretty ignorant about eReader, though. I've never used it.

As for stripping DRM, I agree. My dad is currently using my original Kindle and is reading all the ebooks that I've "freed." The B&N lending feature would be useless to me and probably useless to anyone I lent a long book to.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #42
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Lame idea is still better than the Amazon alternative of no lending!!

It's the CEOs job to write off the competition, so he's just doing that here. Secretly I bet the Amazon guys are already tearing the nook up looking for ideas.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I have one Amazon account with three registered credit card numbers. You can choose before you buy. That way you could always pay with your sister's card and she with yours.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote