Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #226
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
First stick with plugin version 0.3.7. Stick with Sigil 0.9.7. Make sure you have installed the latest Tk as explained in each Sigil release announcement specifically for Mac Users.

Under Manage plugins, delete all versions of ePub3-itizer.

Also make sure the box is checked to use the bundled internal Python.

Then go to this thread and or the link provided and download a fresh copy of ePub3-itizer v0.3.7.

Use Finder to manually move the plugin Zip folder to your Desktop (This is required for Sierra). Then fire up Sigil and use Manage Plugins to install the eUb3-itizer plugin.

Please triplecheck you have checked the box to use the bundled internal python.

Load your epub into Sigil and run Flightcrew or eoubcheck to verify your epub is a valid epub2.

Then run epub3-tizer on it. If no save as dialog appears, then check the Finder panel to see if a rocket blasting off icon is in the panel, and select that icon if needed to force the save-as dialog to come to the front.

If you get a launcher error, then your copy of Sigil is broken. Download a fresh copy (verifying the checksums as directed) and repeat all of the above.

Please let me know what problems you run into.

KevinH
well totally uninstalled sigil downloaded a new copy got the plugin from page 1 and in yosemite still the same issue but in parallels running sierra not a problem.
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #227
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Are you saying it works in Sierra but not Yosemite?

If so what exact error messages are you getting?

Did you see the python icon in panel (rocket ship blasting off)?

If not, please download the testplugin (see its thread here) and install and run it on both Yosemite and on Sierra via Parallels and let us know what it says about each plugin environment.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267539
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #228
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One other thing to try is to use ePub3-itizer v0.3.6 and when first invoked, look for the rocketship icon in the Finder's panel.

See this post to see what I am talking about here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=202

Click on that icon. It will force the Python file save as dialog to the front so you can see and interact with it.

Does that help?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #229
blackest
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are you saying it works in Sierra but not Yosemite?

If so what exact error messages are you getting?

Did you see the python icon in panel (rocket ship blasting off)?

If not, please download the testplugin (see its thread here) and install and run it on both Yosemite and on Sierra via Parallels and let us know what it says about each plugin environment.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267539
yosemite

Verify sys.path settings manually
/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/plugin_launchers/python
/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python35.zip
/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5
/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/plat-darwin
/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload
/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages
/Users/john/Library/Application Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/testplugin

Verifying proper Python packages are available
Python Package: PIL Found
Python Package: cssselect Found
Python Package: cssutils Found
Python Package: html5lib Found
Python Package: lxml Found
Python Package: regex Found
Python Package: chardet Found
Python Package: six Found

Verifying Sigil Python Libraries can be found/loaded
Sigil Python library: epub_utils Found
Sigil Python library: quickparser Found
Sigil Python library: compatibility_utils Found
Sigil Python library: sigil_bs4 Found

Verifying Hunspell Spell Checking
Hunspell en_US affix file and dictionary Found
Hunspell shared library Found
Hunspell spellchecking works True

Verifying Sigil Gumbo Library operation
Sigil Gumbo BS4 Adapter library Found
Sigil BS4/Gumbo Parser works True

Verifying selected basic plugin interface elements
bk.text_iter() works True
bk.manifest_iter() works True
bk.spine_iter() works True
bk.other_iter() works True
reading a non-manifest book file works True
reading a specific OPF manifest id works True
writing to a specific OPF manifest id works True
Launcher Version 20160909
ePub Version 2.0
adding your own file to the manifest works True
basename to id mapping works True
deleting our added file works True

Success - All Tests of Plugin Operations Passed

i'll try on sierra but i don't expect a difference with 0.36 there is no busy ball but none of the buttons work, i can drag the dialog box around though.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #230
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If with 0.3.6 there is no busy ball, then something in version 0.3.7 is causing a crash but only under Yosemite. That is very strange. It appears to be something Tk related (Python's tcl/tk gui toolkit) because that testplugin passes for everything and the only thing not covered by it is Tk.

The fact that with 0.3.6 you can see the file save as dialog and drag it around but NOT use it seems to indicate a broken Python Tk implementation as well. I previously tested 0.3.6 under Yosemite and el Capitan and it worked (although I had to manually hit the Python rocket icon in the Finder panel to get the dialog to appear).

So there is nothing special about Yosemite.

I would download and install ActiveState's active Tcl/Tk for MacOSX and this time look for an older version 8.5 instead of 8.6 to see if that helps.
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #231
blackest
Connoisseur

Quote:
If with 0.3.6 there is no busy ball, then something in version 0.3.7 is causing a crash but only under Yosemite. That is very strange. It appears to be something Tk related (Python's tcl/tk gui toolkit) because that testplugin passes for everything and the only thing not covered by it is Tk.

The fact that with 0.3.6 you can see the file save as dialog and drag it around but NOT use it seems to indicate a broken Python Tk implementation as well. I previously tested 0.3.6 under Yosemite and el Capitan and it worked (although I had to manually hit the Python rocket icon in the Finder panel to get the dialog to appear).

So there is nothing special about Yosemite.

I would download and install ActiveState's active Tcl/Tk for MacOSX and this time look for an older version 8.5 instead of 8.6 to see if that helps.
This is a tad random but i just got it to work with 0.37
and with a 500MB epub no less (image files are a tad big) and I have no idea why it worked this time and not before. I was expecting it to fail.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #232
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Something strange must have been up with the ActiveState ActiveTCL package you installed. That is what makes Python's Tk gui widgets actually work.

No ideas on why but I am glad it is working for you.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #233
2manymovies
2manymovies began at the beginning.

Device: None
Here is the Aspose epub 2 conversion, straight from a Word 2010 docx document.

EPUB Validator (beta)

Results

Detected version: EPUB 2.0.1

Results: Congratulations! No problems were found in 9780998967813_The_Seeker's_Storm.epub.

Validated using EpubCheck version 4.0.2.

After I use the Sigil epubitizer plugin, it's practically perfect. (Sorry if I made it sound like a huge run of errors earlier.)

EPUB Validator (beta)

Results

Detected version: EPUB 3.0.1

Results: The following problems were found in 9780998967813_The_Seeker's_Storm_epub_3.epub:

Type File Line Position Message
WARNING OEBPS/content.opf 20 84 XHTML Content Document file name 'OEBPS/Text/untitled.html' should have the extension '.xhtml'.
ERROR OEBPS/Text/untitled.html 6 59 Error while parsing file 'value of attribute "http-equiv" is invalid; must be a string matching the regular expression "([Dd][Ee][Ff][Aa][Uu][Ll][Tt]\-[Ss][Tt][Yy][Ll][Ee])|([Rr][Ee][Ff][Rr][Ee][Ss][Hh])|([Cc][Oo][Nn][Tt][Ee][Nn][Tt]\-[Tt][Yy][Pp][Ee])"'.

Validated using EpubCheck version 4.0.2.

----
I know that this is remarkably simple to y'all, like breathing. Me, I feel like I've been hunting for a can of striped paint since Monday. I really appreciate you being so kind and taking the time to look at the error.
2manymovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #234
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It is strange your html file is called "untitled.html"? Although legal in epub2 it is probably not a good idea in general.

Yes, epub3 requires .xhtml files not .html files otherwise epubcheck warns you.

Once you have loaded your epub into Sigil as an epub2, you can easily globally rename all .html files to be .xhtml files and Sigil will properly handle everything. Then run the epub3-itizer plugin on it and you should be good to go at least for that warning.

For details, please see the first post in this thread (where you downloaded the plugin from).
Quote:
Before Conversion

1. Make sure your epub2 validates under FlightCrew and/or EpubCheck

2. If your epub uses ".htm" or ".html" file extensions, you should first change them to use ".xhtml" file extensions as follows:
In Sigil's BookBrowser window select all of your .htm or .html files
Right click on your selection and select Rename from the context menu
in the "Rename Files Starting At" dialog box, remove everything there and replace it with ".xhtml" (no quotes), then hit "OK"
I am not sure what the "http-equiv" attribute error is about yet. I will look into it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-03-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #235
2manymovies

KevinH, it does help, thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #236
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,
Look for something near the top in the untitled.html file that looks similar to the following.

<meta http-equiv=

The only allowed values are: refresh, content-type, or default-style. What does yours say?

If you see something that looks similar. Please copy and paste it here so that we can see what that error message is about.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-03-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #237
2manymovies

<meta http-equiv=Content-Style-Type" content="text/css"/>
Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #238
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow something is very strange. That metadata value is saying untitled.html is a css file NOT an html file. That makes no sense to me.

If it is truly a html file this should read something like:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Is this untitled.html really html or is it a css file or ....
Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #239
KevinH
Sigil Developer

After googling around a bit, that content-style-type meta tag inside an html document is not used or needed in epubs and most things just ignore it. Unfortunately, epubcheck is not one of those things that ignore it.

You can safely remove that line from untitled.html before conversion and all should work just fine. I will update epub3-itizer to auto-remove meta tags like that for the next release. For now just remove it in Sigil.

So thanks for your bug report!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #240
2manymovies

Quote:
Wow something is very strange. That metadata value is saying untitled.html is a css file NOT an html file. That makes no sense to me.

If it is truly a html file this should read something like:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Is this untitled.html really html or is it a css file or ....
I don't actually know. It was created by the Aspose program. Does this image help?