Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Unhappy KT "Ghost covers/files" again at 670 books, "stale" image entries in firmware

Hi!

Awhile back I posted a question about how many covers the KT can store - I was at about 1300+ books on my micro sd. I added more, those books showed up in the library without covers. When I deleted those books, they still showed up in my library, despite being of my Micro Sd card. If I selected one of those books, it gave me the "Oops! There is a problem with this file" message. If I selected the file, brought up the little menu on the side of the title ("Read", "add to Shorlist" "delete") and selected delete, it deleted it from the library. It took about 3 titles before it would go through and delete *all* the "ghosted" entries at once.

After reformatting the KT twice, installing firmware .16, I only added about 435 books. It was fine, no real problems. Over the past couple of months, while still being selective, I was up to 485 books on the micro sd card, even with removing those I read and would not read again.

Yesterday, I decided to add the Complete Doctor Who Target Book collection (yes, I'm a geek ), which is 153-157 books, dragging and dropping through the laptop, not using Calibre or other file management tool. Figuring I had enough wiggle room as I was nowhere near 1000 books, I added them *all* at one time, in a folder. Well, it locked up the firmware, at least it cause it to run really slowly. I was only at maybe 650 sideloaded books. So I deleted the whole DW collection off the SD card, when the KT rebooted all the covers were still there, despite the books being gone. They were the picture covers, not blank covers.

Again I deleted the files, I had to delete 4 manually before it would delete the collection completely.

Today, I added 60 of the novels, same thing happened - slow response, removed the files, ghost entries, deleted entries manually 4 times before it removed the entire collection.

Just for the hell of it it, I went into the KT firmware through the laptop, into the images folder and found many, many, MANY entries for books I no longer had on the reader or for books that had been moved to other folders but the original folder entry was still there along with the new folder entry. However, some books I removed from the micro SD card did not show up, those that I deleted alone. Not as a group or a folder, but as an individual file and only deleting that one file during that KT/laptop connection.

I deleted the "stale" image files, it didn't seem to cause any problems to do that. I can't tell if the reader is running any faster, although it did process faster.

Questions:
1) Is this a "normal/common" issue? I frequently read "I'm not having that problem, it's just YOU" on forums, which is never good.
2) Does the firmware hold onto removed file covers normally or is there something wrong with my firmware - again?
3) What can cause the "ghost entries" in the library?
4) WHY would the firmware run slowly at 635 books when it can supposedly deal with 32G worth of data (if you believe the advertising)? The .12 firmware I had only started acting up at 1300 books.
5) Is there a limit to how many books you should stick on the reader at one go? I haven't had a problem before with adding 60+ files at one time.

I know I'm asking many, many questions, maybe some of which are unanswerable. I just want to love my KT again, like I did when I first got it back last August, but it's difficult when it keeps acting up. I *have* to love my kids, despite their behaviour, I don't have to love my KT.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

- Virgogirl
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I think the problem is how many files are in the images folder.
Whenever it's close to 7500 it can't create more pictures (you can't even add more files manually when the Kobo is attached to your computer, Windows 7 gives "an unexpected error"), and all new ones will become ghosts.
My advice is to delete all unnecessarry pictures:
- N3_FULL
- N3_LIBRARY_SHELF
- N3_SOCIAL_CURRENTREAD
This way you make space for more new books.

I'm still not if I should keep my Kobo, some things are pretty good on it, but some other things are done WAY better by other readers...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that the problem, though? With the complete collection of DW books, there wouldn't have been the max number of covers in there, even with the old "stale" files.

I know what you mean about better readers, a friend has a Sony ereader. Last night was the first time it EVER hung on him, and he's had it for 2 years with never an issue.

Thank you for the reply!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Hi!

Questions:
1) Is this a "normal/common" issue? I frequently read "I'm not having that problem, it's just YOU" on forums, which is never good.

You are having normal problems with SD cards with a large Library.

2) Does the firmware hold onto removed file covers normally or is there something wrong with my firmware - again?

I depends on how you removed the Books from the Kobo.

3) What can cause the "ghost entries" in the library?
4) WHY would the firmware run slowly at 635 books when it can supposedly deal with 32G worth of data (if you believe the advertising)? The .12 firmware I had only started acting up at 1300 books.

Blank covers severely impact the speed.

5) Is there a limit to how many books you should stick on the reader at one go? I haven't had a problem before with adding 60+ files at one time.

I have A MSD card, 1900 books in the Library and running 1.9.17 firmware. From a clean Factory reset & update: (or if you want to try and avoid a reset delete all images in the images folder).

I load 1000 books in one go, using Calibre. I then run the cleanup.bat file (attached, change the drive letter to match your Computer), to clean up the images folder.

After that I load 100 books at a time and then run the cleanup file every time.

I know I'm asking many, many questions, maybe some of which are unanswerable. I just want to love my KT again, like I did when I first got it back last August, but it's difficult when it keeps acting up. I *have* to love my kids, despite their behaviour, I don't have to love my KT.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

- Virgogirl
I hope the above helps. I have found that a clean Images folder makes for great performance. I also only use Calibre to remove books.
Attached Files
File Type: bat Kobo Images delete Desktop Drive L.bat (144 Bytes, 566 views)
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
VirgoGirl

Thanks for the reply, and the file!!

It seems like the reader firmware is far more complicated than it should be, having to go in and edit the image files when it should simply remove the old files itself. I used Calibre once with my KT, but when I ejected it I got a "reset to factory settings" alert. So I stopped using anything other than Windows to drag and drop onto the card, hoping to avoid that error message again.

My husband thinks I'm spending way too much time being concerned about this reader, I should just use it and live with buggy software. I'm just annoyed that it doesn't to work as it's advertised it should - I'm trying to avoid saying "work they way it's supposed to work" as I'm not quite sure what that *is*. Sometimes I'm at Chapters, looking at the Kobo and I get a sales pitch from one of the floor people. I don't ask for info, they just come up and start in. They still tell me how it can read various formats, use a sideloaded card, hold as many books as the card can handle, etc etc etc, when a lot of what they say doesn't really work.

Ah, I digress. Thank you again for the help! I really appreciate it!
Advert