Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #61
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Since I already sell my ebooks at low prices, in multiple formats and with No DRM... and they are still torrented... I consider that I have been proactive. It didn't work. So, let the punishments apply.
Do you have them taken down as soon as they appear? Only I can't find any of your books being pirated anywhere.

Mine doesn't seem to have made it to torrents yet either
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #62
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
True, not a single work by Mr Ploppy anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Do you have them taken down as soon as they appear? Only I can't find any of your books being pirated anywhere.

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #63
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I get Google alerts that point to the torrented files every few days.

Thanks for looking, though...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #64
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

Since I already sell my ebooks at low prices, in multiple formats and with No DRM... and they are still torrented... I consider that I have been proactive. It didn't work. So, let the punishments apply.
I'm sorry to hear this Mr Jordan.

Tobias Buckell's year-long self-publishing experiment also proved your point. He listed his latest work at $0.99 drm-free and no geo restrictions and still he was torrented to the moon and back. Sold only 117 copies that month. He varied his price from $0.99-4.99 and made more at the $4.99 level than the $0.99. And you know the Big 6 publishers love to hear that.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I never said being stolen from equated to being mugged, etc. However, it's still a crime deserving of punishment. What, you think there are no 7-11 robbers in prison? Hijacking my books are no different.
Stealing is not robbery. And suppose your lost sales are $5. What should the punishment be? What do you get of you steal from 7-11 something worth $5.

Should anybody publishing something that could be ytotally worthless and unsellable then e able to put people in prison if somebody put the book in a bug torrent containing thousands of books?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #66
bullet
Rookie Mucker
bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 7. Moto G, Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Linux PCs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Problem with that is, on cloud based services you don't know how many devices you're putting it on. Say you're allowed on upto 5 devices, and you have it on your computer, your ereader and in the cloud. Do you count that as 3, or some other absurd number because of the number of servers that may have the info in that service?
A single file will not be spread across 2 or more servers. You do count it as 3.
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #67
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
True, not a single work by Mr Ploppy anywhere...
Yeah well I wish they'd hurry up so that I can claim my share of that $15trillion.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #68
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:

Thanks for looking, though...
I think it's because of Esteban "Steve" Jordan.
I don't think with so many good books and so many mass appeal books, you should worry about yours being pirated. Win an award or two, then may be.
In fact I think for most authors it would be first good indication of them doing it right - if somebody (other then them or publisher) will take time to post and download their book. At least it's one step to being known, next one may be being popular.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #69
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
I think it's because of Esteban "Steve" Jordan.
Good point, but the files do have my books' names in them, and my full name, Steven Lyle Jordan. And I really don't care why they are in there, because I've done everything I can to give people no reason to put them there. The point is that they're there.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #70
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Speaking of file sharing, I just ran across a site called [removed by moderation] that purports to be "The Biggest eLibrary for your favorite e-Reader." They include current books for a fixed one time only price. While at first blush it seemed like something is wrong, closer inspection showed even worse: Harry Potter books are listed as available (and we know they are not - at least as of now or the near future).

Is this then the first shot at Napsterizing books?

Last edited by dreams; 04-12-2011 at 04:19 PM.
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't know but based on the FAQ that may be an illegal download site.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #72
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Then what do you do, send one of them DMCA things?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #73
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't know but based on the FAQ that may be an illegal download site.
If they've got any of them rare Steven Lyle Jordan ebooks it's a bargain at $40.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #74
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Then what do you do, send one of them DMCA things?
I don't do anything, since I know it's pretty much futile based on the prevailing attitudes towards filesharing.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #75
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
If they've got any of them rare Steven Lyle Jordan ebooks it's a bargain at $40.
Not when you can snag it off the darknet for free....it's just a lost sale.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright reform, eff, file-sharing, legal