Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Crop in RasterFarian 2.5

Hi all.
My first post here, after I got the Reader few days ago. Great forum you have here and great tool in RasterFarian. I tried a pdf file in a store, was really disappointed but decided to bring one home for more tests (30 days for return, no fees at Frys :-). After I ran few pdf books through RasterFarian, I decided to keep the Reader. Thanks to Alex. I'd echo an earlier post and make a donation (or pay a price) for making the Reader a much better device.

I'm moving to Sony after 5-6 years of reading on PDAs (latest is a VGA Axim) and want to maximize the space on the screen. I appologize if this has been already covered, I searched and read all the pages about RasterFarian, didn't find the answer. I have a pdf file that has large white (or mostly white) margins. When I crop it in Adobe and save, it doesn't completely remove the margins, they are there but Acrobat displays the cropped version. When I run RasterFarian and choose NO for "autocrop" option, I'm getting larger margins than I see in Acrobat after cropping. Does "autocrop" option work with the un-cropped version of files? For some files "autocrop" works well, for others I have to crop manually. Is there a way in Adobe (or other tool) to crop permanently so RasterFarian starts with it?

Thanks in advance,
David
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
make sure the PDF pages are in 4:3 ratio to prevent the margins.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
chandrab
chandrab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I'm sorry but I am a Sony eReader newbie...and I've encountered the same margin problems converting PDFs...and I'm not sure I understand what the 4:3 ratio means.

I have Acrobat 8.0 Pro....what do I have do in the crop menu?

Thanks,
Chandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
make sure the PDF pages are in 4:3 ratio to prevent the margins.
chandrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
if your actual content is not having same aspect ratio (width/height) then the cropped content will have to be resized to fit the screen dimensions, which may lead to the "extra" margins you see.

if you want, you can try PDFRead (it respects the CropBox that has been set in the PDF, same as RasterFarian 2.5).
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
chandrab
chandrab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I am using Acrobat 8 Pro's crop feature and Rasterfarian 2.5...no luck I still get margins. I've tried PDFRead and for some strange reason the font sizes seems to be smaller than RasterFarian 2.5.

Can you give me an example of an 4:3 ratio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
if your actual content is not having same aspect ratio (width/height) then the cropped content will have to be resized to fit the screen dimensions, which may lead to the "extra" margins you see.

if you want, you can try PDFRead (it respects the CropBox that has been set in the PDF, same as RasterFarian 2.5).
chandrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert