Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
PID question

Hi all.

I'm trying to deDRM a book I purchased from Amazon. Previously I always bought books directly from Kindle, moved it to computer, ran the script with Kindle PID and got a book that I could read on other devices too. Today I first time bought a book from the computer, thought I'd run the same script with same PID. No luck, get an "Error: no key found, may be the PID is incorrect".

When I sync the Kindle, it shows no new items to download. I transferred the book to device, it opens fine, no problem.

Does the book come with a different PID if bought from the computer? How can I find out what PID to use?

Thanks in advance.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Unfortunately, Amazon have changed the exact DRM method used for Kindle files download to or for an actual Kindle with the 2.5 firmware. The PID generated by kindlepid will no longer work with MobiDeDRM to decode such files. Kindle files can still be de-drmed by downloading to Kindle for Windows and using skindle or unswindle.

Another possibility is that this is a TOPAZ ebook. However, recent versions (0.16) of mobidedrm report "invalid file format" for TOPAZ input. It is possible to strip DRM from TOPAZ, but the format itself is still intrinsically hard to shift to other devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Hi all.

I'm trying to deDRM a book I purchased from Amazon. Previously I always bought books directly from Kindle, moved it to computer, ran the script with Kindle PID and got a book that I could read on other devices too. Today I first time bought a book from the computer, thought I'd run the same script with same PID. No luck, get an "Error: no key found, may be the PID is incorrect".

When I sync the Kindle, it shows no new items to download. I transferred the book to device, it opens fine, no problem.

Does the book come with a different PID if bought from the computer? How can I find out what PID to use?

Thanks in advance.
If your Kindle has updated to firmware 2.5 or later, it now uses a per-book PID scheme for any books downloaded to or for it since the firmware was updated.

The only way to de-drm Kindle Mobipocket ebooks at present is to download them to Kindle for Windows. Although Kindle for Windows also uses per-book PIDs, the method of generating the per-book PIDs is now known, and scripts are available that will de-drm such books.

Unfortunately, the per-book PID algorithm seems to be different for Kindle for Macintosh and Kindle firmware 2.5+, and no-one's reverse engineered them yet.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

This site is amazing, thanks for quick replies. I did upgrade the firmware, that answers my question. It's not Topaz, I'll try Kindle for Windows.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Kindle files can still be de-drmed by downloading to Kindle for Windows and using skindle or unswindle.
And note that unswindle (as opposed to skindle) doesn't yet work for the latest updated version of Kindle for PC.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
ddavtian
Addict

I tried unswindle first, it didn't work. Then tried skindle, have my book in epub format now.

Thanks again for help.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
I tried unswindle first, it didn't work. Then tried skindle, have my book in epub format now.

Thanks again for help.
there is now unswindle v7 which works on my version of Kindle4PC v1.1.1 - I have automatic updates turned off so hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a while. I also needed mobidedrm v 0.16
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
drwowe
Enthusiast
drwowe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Argh, I just installed K4PC and neither Unswindle or skindle is working... But my version of K4PC is version 1.20

Anywhere I can download an older installer?
drwowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
This is one advantage of still having a Kindle 1.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwowe View Post
Argh, I just installed K4PC and neither Unswindle or skindle is working... But my version of K4PC is version 1.20

Anywhere I can download an older installer?
I just upgraded my K4PC on my laptop to v1.2.1, and Apprentice Alf has the solution on his blog - there's even a plugin for calibre! I only tested the plugin.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote