Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
What format for a Document ?

I want to add a document to my 505 can anyone tell me what format it would be best to write it in and if I need to convert it into something else before I can upload it to the reader.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
RTF are the best format, if you need to work on it afterwards. And you can use Calibre afterwards on it.

If you want to play a bit with tech, you can download Sigyl (there's a forum section) and work directly there, it can save the files as ePubs (and they look great!).
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I recommend RTF as well, especially for a document. You can write it in a word processing program like Word and then save the file as "rich text format (.rtf)." This will load into your Sony just fine. I often use this format to quickly load something on to my reader, like chapters I want to read and assess before editing.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
thanks I will give it a try
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I suggest MS Word (doc) format. If you convert a doc file with Bookdesigner the pictures in the book will get through too.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
I want to add a document to my 505 can anyone tell me what format it would be best to write it in and if I need to convert it into something else before I can upload it to the reader.
I'd recommend PDF as the final ebook format. When creating ebooks for my reader, I use StarOffice 8.0 (the proprietary version of OpenOffice.org that was released by Sun) which has the ability to create PDFs. I do the following when creating an ebook for my reader:
  • Format, and save the ebook as an OpenDocument text file. I make sure the page format (width and height) is the same as the screen of my ebook reader, and I set the margins as small as possible (0.2").
  • Export the ebook as a PDF.
  • Load the PDF on my ebook using the eBook Library software.
If I want to edit the ebook, I just open the OpenDocument file, edit it, and then export it again as a PDF.

The advantage of creating ebooks this way is that it gives me complete control over the formatting of my ebook, and when I do a page preview of my ebook I can see exactly how it will look on my ebook reader (including the size of the fonts, where the page and line breaks will fall, and the total number of pages). It allows me to easily identify formatting problems so I can correct them. Also, with the use of styles, it is very easy to make mass formatting changes to my ebooks (such as making the text of the main body of the document larger or changing its typeface).

In this case, the main disadvantage I've experienced with PDFs is that the file size is usually much larger than the other formats (my experience has been that it tends to be double the size of an RTF). But for me, the degree of control over an ebook's format is worth the larger file size. Also, the OpenDocument text file (which is a compressed file) is much smaller than the RTF file (my experience has been that it is less than 1/2 the size of the RTF), and as long as you have the OpenDocument file, you can easily recreate the PDF.

I hope you find this useful.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
I totally agree with Solitaire. Nothing but PDFs on my Reader. The edition and final result is so much richer.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
I totally agree with Solitaire. Nothing but PDFs on my Reader. The edition and final result is so much richer.
Font control is one of the main factors that pushed me to choosing PDF over RTF. One of the most frustrating problems (one of I've spent hours trying to solve without success) that I've come across with RTF files on my reader is that I can't reliably get it to display my text in the font type (serif, san serif, or monospaced) that I choose. Often, I get san serif type regardless the font of in the original RTF document.

It would be fine with me if my text rendered reliably in the appropriate default font (any serif font will render in the default serif font, and likewise with san serif and monospaced). But sometimes it will display in the right font type, and other times it won't. Another post mentioned using specific fonts to get the correct default font type (such as using Times New Roman in the original document to get the default serif font), but it didn't work for me.

With PDF, my ebooks will render with the specific font that I want. For example, I prefer the following fonts: Georgia (serif), Century Gothic (san serif), and Cumberland (monospace). With PDF, these fonts render perfectly on my reader.

Although I lose much of the ability to increase the size of my text with PDF files (the recently added ability to reflow PDF text does it in a way that I don't like), it's not much of an issue with me. I just make sure that my text is large enough at the smallest size for easy reading. I've found that a base font size of 14 points is large enough for comfortable reading on my reader. If I need it larger, I just increase the font size in the original document and then regenerate the PDF.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Bout the same here. I use FuturaLtBt at 13 pts. All the efforts I make to get a thoroughly edited text are preserved in PDF. All, except TOCs, which I fix in the PDF itself.

As I create the PDF with the font size I like, I have no need whatsoever for the zoom button or the reflow function. If you follow my "Libro" link, you'll find a sample of how I work. It's in Spanish but will do equally well to get the feeling. I have changed a little my preferences since I made it, but all the books I read are basically just like this one.

This self-edition of the books I read is one of the things I value most of having a Reader, actually.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote