Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
ratanplan
ratanplan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo
new feature in editor "install fonts" - user mistake or bug

If I click the new button "install fonts" (in the "manage fonts" dialogue) a dialogue comes up and I am able to choose the font-file, which I want to integrate in the epub. By clicking "ok" the next dialogue says, that the font was added.
But: Nothing happend within the epub. Neither the chosen file appears in the book nor is the font displayed in the "manage fonts" dialogue, which should show all the embedded fonts.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in this new feature?
ratanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Installing a font installs the font into calibre. To embed it into your epub file you need to add it to the css and use the embed font button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
ratanplan

Thank you for the clarification.
So I missunderstood, what this new feature is doing.

But do I be a nuisance, if I kindly request to enhance the editor in the way, I described above.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One cannot embed a font in an ebook just by selecting the font file, since there is no way for the editor to know what text to apply the font to. You have to first specify the font in the CSS.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
ratanplan

OK. I understand.
(I thought, it would be possible to add automatically a "@font-face"-rule in the css, when a (new) font-file is integrated in the book. - But this seems to be another question/request (in accordance to "file/import file")... )
Thank you for your patience!

Last edited by ratanplan; 04-21-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Advert
Old 04-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just add a font style to an existing rule that affects text in the book, then use embed fonts -- it will add the font file and font-face rules for the font you used.

Font faces are an incredibly useless thing to add, since they do utterly nothing.
Unless they are matched by a style which instructs content to render in a named font.
In which case Embed Fonts will add both the font file and the font face.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
ratanplan

I played around with the new feature. Now - with the help of Kovid and eschwartz - I think, I understand, how to use it.