Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #16
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm lost, dazed, and confused here. Who is doing what with which format??? I *thought* I had it figured out til I started reading this thread, and now I'm hopelessly mired.
As I understand it, BN is using a "new" form of DRM for ePubs, (which is really an "old" form of DRM), which even Adobe Digital Editions currently does not support, but WILL support when Adobe releases the new SDK. Is that correct?
The new SDK is due in 2009 (although if that's gonna happen, Jim, someone better get on the stick...), and then I'm assuming Adobe Digital Editions will get updated to support the new (old) DRM that BN is intent on using. Until then, any ePub bought at BN will ONLY work on either a nook or on the BN reading software. However, THEN, all the device manufacturers that now support the CURRENT flavor of Adept DRM for ePubs will have to decide whether to update their systems with the new SDK to support the new (old) form of DRM - effectively making a hell of a mess.

Am I getting ANY of this right?

Last edited by phenomshel; 12-16-2009 at 12:14 AM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #17
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I'm lost, dazed, and confused here. Who is doing what with which format??? I *thought* I had it figured out til I started reading this thread, and now I'm hopelessly mired.
You have the essential details correct, my detailed responses are below

Quote:
As I understand it, BN is using a "new" form of DRM for ePubs, (which is really an "old" form of DRM)
For B&N we added a new flavor of DRM for ePubs, "Password", that was roughly based and behaves similar to the eReader DRM (which is why B&N wanted it) into the Adobe stack.

B&N is serving these files up now, and we gave them an patched RMSDK 9.0 which they included on the Nook.

Quote:
which even Adobe Digital Editions currently does not support, but WILL support when Adobe releases the new SDK. Is that correct?
Release RMSDK, then sometime much later - next year update Adobe Digital Editions (there's a lot more going into this release than the RMSDK update).

Quote:
The new SDK is due in 2009 (although if that's gonna happen, Jim, someone better get on the stick...)
I'm not worried about the RMSDK release date.

Quote:
and then I'm assuming Adobe Digital Editions will get updated to support the new (old) DRM that BN is intent on using.
Yes see above (same team doing the work) so release RMSDK, then update Adobe Digital Editions.

Quote:
Until then, any ePub bought at BN will ONLY work on either a nook or on the BN reading software. However, THEN, all the device manufacturers that now support the CURRENT flavor of Adept DRM for ePubs will have to decide whether to update the SDK to support the new (old) form of DRM - effectively making a hell of a mess.
Yes this is a short term mess that we have made, but hope to have completely cleaned up by the end of the year 2010. The end result is that after we get this cleaned up is that every major eBook retailer (including Borders now, too ) that is using DRM, except Amazon, will be interoperable with (almost) all the devices, except the Kindle.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
The end result is that after we get this cleaned up is that every major eBook retailer (including Borders now, too ) that is using DRM, except Amazon, will be interoperable with (almost) all the devices, except the Kindle.
That is applaudable.

Although, I presume, when you say DRM, you only mean ePub/Adobe with DRM. Other formats such as mobi with DRM will still cause problems for us.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #19
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Yes this is a short term mess that we have made, but hope to have completely cleaned up by the end of the year 2010. The end result is that after we get this cleaned up is that every major eBook retailer (including Borders now, too ) that is using DRM, except Amazon, will be interoperable with (almost) all the devices, except the Kindle

Now THAT is good news. What would be better news is if Amazon got forced into going ePub too, but I see that happening about the time Hell freezes over.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Thanks to you both.

I'll wait to buy anything from Barnes and Noble until I see (on this forum?) that their books will be readable on my Pocket Pro.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Here is what is happening that we know.

B&N and Adobe has announced a deal where Adboe will add the ability to handle social DRM (the drm currently used by eReader) in the next version of their server. This new version is expected to release in January. At nearly the same time Adobe has to release an API with their mobile devices kit for all their customers (the portable eBook Reader makers). Then each of the eBook Reader manufacturers, in this case Jinke, will have to release a new verison of the firmware. Once this is done then B&N ePUB files with social DRM will work on Jinke devices.

Note that this has nothing to do with the eReader database format. This thread has already confused the two issues. Whether eReader database format API will be released to Jinke is something that only B&N lawyers and the lawyers at Astak can hammer out.

I have no doubt that Social DRM on ePUB and for that matter PDF will be available from Jinke within a month of Adobe making it available. Once that happens then B&N books will work on Jinke devices and any other publisher that chooses to support Social DRM will also be able to use it, however they may choose not to just as easily. Adobe's server that ADE uses will work with either system.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

The end result is that after we get this cleaned up is that every major eBook retailer (including Borders now, too ) that is using DRM, except Amazon, will be interoperable with (almost) all the devices, except the Kindle.
I hope your right. But I wonder about the Sony models (500, 505, 700, 300, 600, Daily Reader). Has Sony commited to this?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #22
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Will books we've already purchased with the current flavor of Adobe DRM be backwards compatible with the new form of Adobe DRM?
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Will books we've already purchased with the current flavor of Adobe DRM be backwards compatible with the new form of Adobe DRM?
Yes. The password-based DRM is an alternative approach that does not change the current AdobeID DRM at all. The Nook (the only device to support both today), can read ePubs with both types of DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Cool. Can't wait for everything to be finalized. I have a bunch of ebooks sitting in my B&N shopping cart.

And then there were two... (formats, that is)
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
The new release of Adobe DRM will support both models but a machine restricted DRM ebook will not suddenly become a social DRM ebook. Which DRM you get will be determined by the publisher, moving forward. If the publisher adopts the social DRM it may be possible to redownload ebooks you own.

Dale
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #26
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Here is what is happening that we know.
B&N and Adobe has announced a deal where Adboe will add the ability to handle social DRM (the drm currently used by eReader) in the next version of their server. This new version is expected to release in January. At nearly the same time Adobe has to release an API with their mobile devices kit for all their customers (the portable eBook Reader makers).
Dale,
Some corrections. We have not announced a ship date (or an exact version number) for the version of Content Server that will include the new password based DRM scheme, other than to vaugely say sometime in 2010. It will not be in January.

Also we released Reader Mobile SDK 9.1, which includes support for the password based DRM scheme, on Dec. 15 2009.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dale,
Some corrections. We have not announced a ship date (or an exact version number) for the version of Content Server that will include the new password based DRM scheme, other than to vaugely say sometime in 2010. It will not be in January.

Also we released Reader Mobile SDK 9.1, which includes support for the password based DRM scheme, on Dec. 15 2009.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Thanks for the update. I appreciate the facts. I kind of knew the January date was optimistic.

Dale
Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dale,

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Question, Now that Reader Mobile SDK 9.1 is released does that mean Jinke could update to that version and the EZ Reader user could buy DRM books from Barnes and Noble immediately?

Dale
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #29
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Question, Now that Reader Mobile SDK 9.1 is released does that mean Jinke could update to that version and the EZ Reader user could buy DRM books from Barnes and Noble immediately?

Dale
Any of our RMSDK customers may release firmware or devices based upon RMSDK 9.1 after they pass certification.

However, while we have been doing pre-releases we did a fairly major restructure/refactoring of the APIs so 9.1 isn't a "slap it in" replacement for 9.0 (which is a problem we are going to have with getting the next major version of ADE out the door).

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems