Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
New Boox i62HD owner - Newbie questions

I just got my i62HD today and have some questions that the forum or Booxter can answer himself:

I. My device is currently on Firmware Version 1.7.20120524. If I want to update this firmware to the latest then I would need to download and install this update:

New Version 1.8 (1.8.20121102)
http://www.ereader-store.de/DATA/i62...e-20121102.zip

and don't need to install any of the previous versions beforehand, correct?

II. Once I donwload the FW version 1.8 I need a password to extract the contents of the ZIP file. Where do I obtain this password from?

III. If I also want to update the PDF reader app I would need to install UPD. 12.12.12 via https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/pd...er%20Patch.rar and then UPD. 2013.01.02 via https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/pd...f%20reader.rar

Is that correct?

IV. Instead of using the clunky USB to 220 V adapter, that came with the device, can I also use this iPhone Adapter instead, as its much slimmer?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Hi readandread,

I - Yes, it's correct
II - You don't need to extract anything, copy zip file in the root of sd card and install it.
III - Yes, that's correct
IV - You can use that iphone adapter if it have, at least output of 1A , lower amperage, it takes more time to load the ereader.
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick response.

I. Is there any way to copy the epub book covers via Calibre to the i62HD? Calibre say this device is not supported? If this is true, maybe Booxtor can make it compatible with the device or work with Calibre developer?

II. Is there any other way of showing the thumbnails of epub books on the Boox device?

III. Also, what reader do you find to be the best for epub (PDF Reader, FB Reader or CoolReader)? It seems that the CoolReader is the only one that supports changing the margin of eBooks.

IV. Am I correct that only the PDF reader support annotations (highlighting text)?

V. Are there any other recommendations on which reader app to use for PDFs?

VI. How do know how much % the battery is changed beside the icon that doesn't give that accurate info?

Last edited by readandread; 02-13-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I - For Calibre, use generic device. The device could be seen like a disk.
II - You have the choice in file name or book's title - metadata. A picture of the current page form the already seen books is visible in recent documents folder.
III - You can set the margins with FBreader too. PDF Reader is good for EPUB but you can't change fonts or margins.
IV -
V - For PDF, only PDFReader
VI - The icon for the battery is NOT accurate. It's only an indicator.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
readandread
Zealot

Thanks Randy11, any comments on my question IV?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
Thanks Randy11, any comments on my question IV?
there is also a citation mode in CoolReader. You can highlight citations there, but I didn't really test it though. In the new firmware we will implement in the CoolReader a toggle to switch between highlighting mode and finger page turn mode.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
readandread
Zealot

Why does the i62HD take so long to startup from standby everytime I turn it on? Or am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
readandread
Zealot

Anyone know?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

I do not know, my firefly wakes up immediately, no delays.
Maybe you can disable metadata extraction, in the menu. To me, this only came to mind.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
readandread
Zealot

Thx nausica, that was it!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
nausica
Connoisseur

ok then, luckily it was not something more serious
Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
robert_22
robert_22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there some video that shows the onyx i62HD making highlights ?? is possible to do it without making an anotation?
robert_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
readandread
Zealot

Robert, I don't think so. Are you looking into buying a Onxy device?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
robert_22
robert_22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not necessary an Onyx. im looking for an ereader where i can turn pages smoothly and highlighting. But it seem that for make highlights in Onyx have to make and annotation, getting very tedious.
robert_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
readandread
Zealot

Well the page turn on the Onyx are very smooth, no delay due to the CPU. I don't understand your statement "make highlights in Onyx have to make and annotation". Can you elaborate?