Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #31
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Interesting date considering the WWDC (Apple's big conference) is on June 8. If Apple has FINALLY developed a 9.5" Tablet device it will probably be announced at WWDC. If that comes out 2 days before the Kindle DX, Amazon will lose a lot of sales I bet.
An Apple device would be touchscreen, color, playing MP3, video, access to the apple store etc. It would crush a lot of competitors.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #32
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysax View Post
For those of us who have been guessing when the Kindle DX would be available. Amazon has now announced that the first units will ship on June 10th.
YAY! this makes me think about ordering one.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Interesting date considering the WWDC (Apple's big conference) is on June 8. If Apple has FINALLY developed a 9.5" Tablet device it will probably be announced at WWDC. If that comes out 2 days before the Kindle DX, Amazon will lose a lot of sales I bet.
An Apple device would be touchscreen, color, playing MP3, video, access to the apple store etc. It would crush a lot of competitors.
I'm afraid that I really don't agree that it would affect the Kindle in the slightest. It's a totally different market - a multimedia tablet is completely unsuited for bookreading - short battery life, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that I really don't agree that it would affect the Kindle in the slightest. It's a totally different market - a multimedia tablet is completely unsuited for bookreading - short battery life, etc.
Frankly I am keeping an eye on the CrunchPad. It looks like it will be pretty sweet. Then again, prototypes and hype always look better than the real deal.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #35
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would say the ebook reader market is more niche, and the apple pad will pull a ton of people away from a dedicated device like the kindle dx,

especially when the apple pad is expect to cost about the same price, on paper the apple will win.

only people with eye strain will even know the difference.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #36
b.e.wilson
b.e.wilson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, iPhone (1st gen)
WWDC keynote just ended. No big-screen hardware. Just another iPhone version (3GS). Looks like the Kindled DX orders are safe.
b.e.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #37
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Yep, no tablet. Although, supposedly there is one i development, and it may come later this year, or early next.

Pixel Qi looks interesting, but it's still not quite as white as e-Ink, and for a dedicated reading device, I think I'll stick with K DX.

It doesn't sound anyone else is close to introducing 10" e-Ink device, at least not in the next couple of months. At this point, the only way I'd regret my K DX order, is i there is a clear, 10" e-Ink with finger-touch control announced next month. Which I doubt....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #38
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
What are their presales numbers looking like?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #39
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
What are their presales numbers looking like?
I posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, but:

The Kindle DX is already selling out. Things to be aware of:

1. Pre-orders placed prior to June 5th will begin shipping June 10th.

2. New pre-orders as of today [edit: June 5th] will be shipped "in approximately 7 to 10 days."

3. Orders are prioritized on a first come, first saved basis.

4. If you change your existing order in any way -- remove the cover, for example, or change your shipping method -- YOU WILL BE BUMPED DOWN THE LIST. So much so that if you're currently using Super Saver shipping and change it to overnight, there's a good chance you'll wind up getting your order LATER than you would have before. And if you change it back to Super Saver, even later still. So don't modify your existing orders!

Last edited by sirbruce; 06-09-2009 at 12:56 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #40
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I'm so ticked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, but:

4. If you change your existing order in any way -- remove the cover, for example, or change your shipping method -- YOU WILL BE BUMPED DOWN THE LIST. So much so that if you're currently using Super Saver shipping and change it to overnight, there's a good chance you'll wind up getting your order LATER than you would have before. And if you change it back to Super Saver, even later still. So don't modify your existing orders!
This last thing just bit me in the butt. I had ordered on June 1st and had a June 11th arrival date set. I went in to confirm my order that I had overnight shipping and wanted to try to add a note saying "no signature required" and accidentally clicked "confirm" and it set a new delivery date as 6/15/09

grrrrrrr.............

I actually did nothing except just "confirming" overnight shipping and I'm bumped to the back of the bus!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
This last thing just bit me in the butt. I had ordered on June 1st and had a June 11th arrival date set. I went in to confirm my order that I had overnight shipping and wanted to try to add a note saying "no signature required" and accidentally clicked "confirm" and it set a new delivery date as 6/15/09

grrrrrrr.............

I actually did nothing except just "confirming" overnight shipping and I'm bumped to the back of the bus!
Ow. Kinda like holding a rattle in front of a baby, but not letting him have it, isn't it?

Never mind.....within a week of having it, hopefully this will all be a bad memory.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #42
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Ow. Kinda like holding a rattle in front of a baby, but not letting him have it, isn't it?

Never mind.....within a week of having it, hopefully this will all be a bad memory.
I know... I did get the lady to give me a $5.00 credit to my account to "compensate me" for the inconvenience. I'll spend that puppy on a book!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #43
myridom
Enthusiast
myridom doesn't littermyridom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I ordered mine Saturday (6-6) and it now shows a delivery date of 6-15 with one day delivery on Amazon Prime. Woo Hoo
myridom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #44
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I very nearly hit the order button when the DX was announced, but my Kindle 2 was only a couple of months old, and I'm still very happy with it. I'm really looking forward to hearing from those who are getting it, how well the built-in PDF support is. So far that's the only thing that bugs me about the K2, PDF conversions have been hit and miss.

The K2 has definitely given me the ebook bug though, I've read 12 books on it since getting it in March, more than I've read in a long time.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #45
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
This happened to me :-(
On the flip side, I hope that those who are sitting in the front of the bus will share their experience and this allows to cancel my order should the DX not rock as it should ...
aru is offline   Reply With Quote