Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
monkius
monkius began at the beginning.

Reader Question

I am seriously considering a Sony Reader, but I have a question on how it works that I was hoping someone who has one could answer.

Assuming I was custom generating a PDF (or some other format file), is it possible to have an index page that you could use to quickly jump to desired pages? Can a PDF file have links inside the document that you can follow?

I am trying to figure out where a Sony Reader fits between a hard copy book and a regular computer. I have only been able to look at the Reader in the box at the local Borders, so I am not certain how interactive it can be.

Thanks!
monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, monkius!

The PDF format does support internal links, and if you're generating the files yourself, you'll probably be able to get a page and font size combination that'll work for you -- A4 PDF's just dont' work very well, as you might have read.

As for handling one, you might see if there's a Fry's or SonyStyle store near you that will have demos out. Try the Dealer Locator, if you haven't already.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkius

Assuming I was custom generating a PDF (or some other format file), is it possible to have an index page that you could use to quickly jump to desired pages? Can a PDF file have links inside the document that you can follow?

Thanks!
You can in fact insert bookmarks into a RTF or PDF file Using the Sony Connect software. I generate documents (RTF for text only and PDF if I want to include pictures, graphs, etc) and after importing into Connect, I then use the search function to find the beginning of each section and place a bookmark before I transfer into the reader. The bookmarks move over with the file.

A couple of hints to make this job easier:
1. Insert a hard page break before each "chapter" or section.
2. Insert a distinct character or set at the end of each chapter like "##". The search function in Connect is not whole word or case sensitive in its search so searching for "end" gets you "send" "append" etc.

Hope this helps.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Bill P
Bill P began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader PRS-500
I have some rather large PDF files that I tried to index. It worked with a few links but as the number of links increased, so did my page turn time. When I had all the links I wanted, the page turn rate was at 35 seconds per turn. I removed most of the links until I got back to the 1 second range.

So proceed with caution.
Bill P is offline   Reply With Quote