Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #46
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I've been noticing weird behavior when it comes to the Collections area on the home screen. There are some series that just don't trigger something correctly and where the last accessed Collection should be, it's either blank, or defaults back to the previous collection.

I can't figure out why most show correctly, and then opening other books in a new collection leaves a blank space on the home screen. I do patch, but I removed all patches and tried again to rule patching out, and it's the same exact behavior for the same books... blank space where the last accessed Collection should be.

I've been binge reading one particular series the last 2 months, and when it got down to 4 books left, the Collection area was blank on the home screen. I still haven't figured out the cause though.
Do you mean the Home screen middle-right slot?

I think if you open a book from a Collection which contains >= 4 books then that Collection will appear in the middle-right slot. But if it's <4 books then that slot is blank.

ETA: Or perhaps that should be qualified by saying >= 3 unread books.

... or something like this, at any rate.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-07-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #47
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How many unread books are in the collection? It needs a minimum for staying at home screen (I don't know exactly how much but more than one, I believe)
That was my first thought, but the series I was reading still had 4 unread books in the Collection. Then I tried another collection with 4 books, and that showed up on the home screen.

Edit: Actually, 1 of those 4 books was a duplicate, 1 in epub and 1 in kepub that I was using to check differences. And the reader must have been smart enough to pick up that it was a dupe? When I added another book to that series so there were 4 different books, then it showed up again. It seems if it's 3 or less books, it's not considered a Collection by Kobo.

Which obviously I'm not liking. If it's in a collection, it should show the collection in the usual spot to finish up a series. I guess I'll just keep the books in a series on the reader, I usually delete them once finished. But I'd prefer if there's 2 or more books in a collection, that it still shows the collection. Or a setting where you can choose the number. It seems to make it harder to finish up the last few books in a series... instead of just clicking the Collection on the home screen, you have to go hunt it down again through the library.

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-07-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #48
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Not sure, I think the collections pane is there only when there is a book in the collection in READING status. I've noticed that even with a collection with 60 unread books in it, if I finish the last partially read book, it'll drop that collection and bring up another one.

Not 100% sure that is what is triggering it, and only if I finish it within the book or something...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #49
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I think that there is a bug/problem with 4.10.11655 with collections.

On my KA1 LE, I did a manual update which corrected a problem. Then I decided to power off the KA1 LE & left it powered off for a day. When I turned on the KA1, things seem fine until I selected the "collections" list; every collection is listed as having 0 books.

The 'American Literature" should have 17 books; 'Asian Literature' 52 books; Mystery 92 books; Sci-Fi 300 books; etc.

The books were loaded from Calibre with the tags as my collection names for the KA1 LE. But now, the books in the 'collections' disappeared even if the books are in the books & authors listings.

I can "re-import" by logging out/logging in my account but that is not really a solution or desirable. It is claimed that a file-manager is not needed, but how about a database manager? Or both?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The wiki lists this update as being only for the Kobo Aura One Limited Edition, not the original Kobo Aura One. That doesn't seem to be correct, as I've just bought a KA1, and when I synced to get updates it updated to 4.10.11655.
Should I update the wiki, or is managed by a particular person?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #51
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Quote:
I can "re-import" by logging out/logging in my account but that is not really a solution or desirable. It is claimed that a file-manager is not needed, but how about a database manager? Or both?
After logging out, reimporting, and letting calibre re-sync the collection data, does the problem still persist?

I've seen a lot of database corruption issues that caused problems that were blamed on updates. Not sure if the database got corrupted because of the update, or if the update was just the first time the device was rebooted in a long time to notice the database issues.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The wiki lists this update as being only for the Kobo Aura One Limited Edition, not the original Kobo Aura One. That doesn't seem to be correct, as I've just bought a KA1, and when I synced to get updates it updated to 4.10.11655.
Should I update the wiki, or is managed by a particular person?
I think the release of v4.10.11655 for the Aura ONE was delayed because of the WiFi problems. Kobo seem to have decided that the extra function (OD, Walmart stuff) in 4.10.x for the other devices was more important than the WiFi issues.

The Wiki an be modified by anyone with an account, but I have just updated it. Thanks for the reminder.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

On my KA1 LE, I did a manual update which corrected a problem. Then I decided to power off the KA1 LE & left it powered off for a day. When I turned on the KA1, things seem fine until I selected the "collections" list; every collection is listed as having 0 books.

The 'American Literature" should have 17 books; 'Asian Literature' 52 books; Mystery 92 books; Sci-Fi 300 books; etc.

The books were loaded from Calibre with the tags as my collection names for the KA1 LE. But now, the books in the 'collections' disappeared even if the books are in the books & authors listings.

I can "re-import" by logging out/logging in my account but that is not really a solution or desirable.
That shouldn't have worked. Unless the only books in the collections came from Kobo. And then all it is doing is syncing the books and their collection status from the server. This isn't done for sideloaded books which is one of the reasons why calibre is so useful for collection management.

Or did you connect to the PC after the signing back in and let calibre do its thing? And, depending on exactly what went wrong in the first place, connecting to calibre would probably have fixed things without the signing out.
Quote:
It is claimed that a file-manager is not needed, but how about a database manager? Or both?
Purely for my information, how would you having a database manager have helped with this?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #54
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1) Connected to the PC & Calibre to let Calibre do its thing.
Still 0 books for all collections.

2) Signed out/signed in to kobo; did the mini initial setup.
KA1 LE did its import thing.
3) Still 0 books for all collections meaning the "import" did not recreate the SQLite.

A 'database manager' for the KA1 would let the user check/edit the metadata on the 'database'. But it would also be able to let the user check/browse to see if the data associated with the file/ebook is there or not or 'complete'. The results would dictate whether the data is missing or corrupt; & if everything is OK, then it is the OS's problem in not presenting the info correctly or not.

The way it is now, if the import is doing its thing correctly, then there is a problem with the OS part that is reading the database or just not displaying the stuff correctly or just ignoring what is in the database & just display no book counts for the collections listing.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
1) Connected to the PC & Calibre to let Calibre do its thing.
Still 0 books for all collections.
That's a problem. Run calibre in debug mode and post the log when the device is connected. I can look at it and probably tell you what is wrong. And at least 95% of the problems are because the user has not configured calibre correctly.
Quote:
2) Signed out/signed in to kobo; did the mini initial setup.
KA1 LE did its import thing.
3) Still 0 books for all collections meaning the "import" did not recreate the SQLite.
Which is working as designed. As implied but not explicitly stated above, the existence of a collection is synced to the Kobo server. But, nothing about sideloaded books is synced. If you purchase a book from Kobo, download on the device and add it to a collection, that will be sent to the server. If you sideload a book and add it to the collection, the server is not told about this. After the sign out/in, all the collections will be recreated. But, only books from Kobo will be put back in the collections. NONE of the sideloaded books will be added to the collections.
Quote:
A 'database manager' for the KA1 would let the user check/edit the metadata on the 'database'. But it would also be able to let the user check/browse to see if the data associated with the file/ebook is there or not or 'complete'. The results would dictate whether the data is missing or corrupt; & if everything is OK, then it is the OS's problem in not presenting the info correctly or not.
And that would mean that people would need to understand the data structure. Very few people know this and, really, outside of the Kobo development team, no-one should need to know.

Plus, just connect to a PC and use a database manager there. Much easier.
Quote:
The way it is now, if the import is doing its thing correctly, then there is a problem with the OS part that is reading the database or just not displaying the stuff correctly or just ignoring what is in the database & just display no book counts for the collections listing.
As stated above, the import is probably working. And the correct details are probably being displayed. You need another step to get the collections setup completely for sideloaded books.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #56
crane3
Guru

If the collections list is used for books purchased from Kobo, then it is behaving like the Kindle in that respect. I won't be buying books from Kobo so that makes the KA1 somewhat useless for me. This is a gotcha that I wish I had known before purchase.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #57
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
If the collections list is used for books purchased from Kobo, then it is behaving like the Kindle in that respect. I won't be buying books from Kobo so that makes the KA1 somewhat useless for me. This is a gotcha that I wish I had known before purchase.
The Collections list can definitely be populated from calibre for sideloaded books. It has worked correctly with every firmware version I ever installed on my KA1 (original, not LE), including the latest 4.10.11655.

Did you correctly follow the instructions in this thread or in the Wiki?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #58
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I don't think you understood what David meant (if I understand your post correctly). You should be able to use collections for ALL content (including sideloaded) on your device, BUT it will only sync the list of books bought from Kobo in any collection to their servers, not a list of any sideloaded books. So it should work on the device, but if you reset the device the collection data synced back from the Kobo servers won't include sideloaded books (just the collection name if it only has sideloaded books in it).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As the others have said, you have misunderstood me. To put some emphasis on this:
  • Kobo sync NO information about sideloaded books to their servers.
  • Kobo syncs books purchased from them with reading status, bookmarks and what collections they are in.
  • Kobo syncs the existence of collections to their servers.
  • You can add any book on the device to any collections you have.
  • The KoboTouch driver (and hence the KoboTouchExtended) can do the collection management whenever the device is connected to a PC.

This means that after a signout/signin action:
  • Books purchased from Kobo will be downloaded with their reading status as of the last sync.
  • Collections will be recreated as of the last sync.
  • Purchased books will be in the collections they were in as of the last sync.
  • Any sideloaded books will be imported but their reading status will be "Unread" and they will not be in any collections.
  • There will be no annotations for sideloaded kepubs. There may be for sideloaded epubs, but they won't appear until the books is opened.

After a factory reset, the same state as the above except that there will be no sideloaded books on the device. And, "as of the last sync" is important. If you don't sync, then the Kobo server won't be updated with the collections and hence they won't be recreated.

To get back to were you were with collections for sideloaded books, you need to connect to calibre and let it rebuild the collections and the books in them.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #60
crane3
Guru

I think something is forgotten here. From what I have been reading, only books purchased from Kobo is considered "non sideloaded", like Amazon & Kindle. Books loaded using Calibre is considered "sideloaded" if none of the books were from Kobo. Collections can be made using Calibre to create collections.

My KA1 had a collection list that had books in each collection after sideloaded from Calibre.

Okay. The books I have on the KA1 LE were all 'sideloaded" from Calibre & collections were created & populated with books.

The original problem is that the collections were "de-populated" after I did a power off for about 1 day & power on. Was the collection listing display done from ram where data disappear after being powered off? Does the database need to be "re-synced" after turning the KA1 off? Is the database really in "temporary" storage & need to be synced when the KA1 is turned off?

I see what people are saying, but no one addressed the issue of the collections listing of books being set to 0 books just because the reader was turned off. Looks like the collections listing is just a temporary list?