Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
Kobo Aura Sudoku Game Question

Got hooked on this during a long wait yesterday. While playing, the partitions between the nine cell areas suddenly became thick grey lines. Did I touch something that caused this? Or?

Also there is weird screen artifact that develops during this game. There is a an irregular vertical line that looks like a scratch that develops down the middle of the screen. Quit/Save the game and then re load it clears it up. But it eventually comes back. at first i thought it was a dirty mark

Maybe I'm the only Kobo Aura sudoku nut
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Does the stripe look like those in this image? (see this previous thread). They will often extend up most of the page eventually until you refresh the page, that will always make them disappear to start again after a few page turns without refresh. Image is from a Glo btw.

During the summer we had guessed that it was coming from excess heat while reading outdoors in the sun. But I've since been reading outdoors in much cooler weather now and it always happens when in the sun. I'm starting to think it's always there but just not visible until you're in the full sun spectrum of light. I can't explain it otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo stripes.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	114455  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck100 View Post
Got hooked on this during a long wait yesterday. While playing, the partitions between the nine cell areas suddenly became thick grey lines. Did I touch something that caused this? Or?

Also there is weird screen artifact that develops during this game. There is a an irregular vertical line that looks like a scratch that develops down the middle of the screen. Quit/Save the game and then re load it clears it up. But it eventually comes back. at first i thought it was a dirty mark

Maybe I'm the only Kobo Aura sudoku nut
I have this, I have this exact same thing and had thought about posting about it (but in the first impressions long long thread).

I hadn't yet because I was afraid that it was a result of the times I've read in bed and woken up with the reader lying half under my arm.

I also thought it might be dirty when it first appeared and tried cleaning the screen. As for what Ripplinger says, it doesn't seem to be humidity and the line on the Aura is slightly different, more broken up, kind of like when you scratch plastic but black...and it's visible under all lighting including backlighting.

No idea what it is but having someone else experience it in Sudoku is comforting even if it doesn't fix the problem. It also appeared once when looking through the library.

I also get hooked on the Sudoku at times though I have to admit some of the "Easy" games are not quite that easy...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
As for what Ripplinger says, it doesn't seem to be humidity and the line on the Aura is slightly different, more broken up, kind of like when you scratch plastic but black...and it's visible under all lighting including backlighting.
More like this close up shows the stripe? It's often broken up like this too, when it's there for a longer period of time, it begins to get more solid and further up into the page almost to the top of the screen.

Btw, if I remember trying out Sudoku, the screen hardly ever refreshes while playing other than when starting a new game, so that's why you're seeing it more while playing the game than while reading. If you set your page refreshes to less frequently is when it will also appear while reading as it does for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripe at bottom 3.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	114456  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
More like this close up shows the stripe? It's often broken up like this too, when it's there for a longer period of time, it begins to get more solid and further up into the page almost to the top of the screen.

Btw, if I remember trying out Sudoku, the screen hardly ever refreshes while playing other than when starting a new game, so that's why you're seeing it more while playing the game than while reading. If you set your page refreshes to less frequently is when it will also appear while reading as it does for me.
Exactly like that. Except that reading does not pose a problem because of the new regal wave form refreshes which don't do a full page refresh but a ben day style refresh (this does not happen in sudoku, ergo the stripes I'm guessing). I've read hundreds of pages without a full page refresh without stripes appearing. Gotta say the new screen tech is worth its salt as they say.
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I know that stripe will never be gone and it's one of the things on the Kobo you just live with, but I just wish I knew the real cause of it for my own curiosity.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I also get hooked on the Sudoku at times though I have to admit some of the "Easy" games are not quite that easy...
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
Quote:
. . . I have to admit some of the "Easy" games are not quite that easy...
Agreed!!
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Nightyume
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this

Mary
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck100 View Post
Agreed!!
Phew

I was afraid I'd seem somewhat less than smart with that comment

Tags