Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
vvdb
vvdb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902PRO black
Pocketbook 902 hangs

Hello,

I am the owner of two Pocketbook 902 Pro e-readers. One of the readers developed a problem and I'm asking for your help to regain control over it.
Both readers have 8Gb MicroSD cards, and work flawlessly. They both have been updated to version 2.0.3 of the firmware successfully.

The other day, I added new content to the MicroSD card. From that moment on, the reader "hung" when choosing "Library" on the main screen.
If I turn of the reader and start again, the reader hangs on the "Bookland's" page, and never boots completely.

The only way of regaining control of the reader was to remove the MicroSD card. That way the reader boots again.

This puzzled me, and I tried to find a way to resolve the situation. While looking at a reason for that problem, I (somewhat foolishly) copied the content of the MicroSD card to a subdirectory on the readers' local memory.
The result is that the reader now doesn't boot at all (it is stuck on the "Bookland's" page). It is also not visible anymore to the PC, i.e. connecting the reader via USB to the PC starts the reader, but does nothing else. This makes sense, because the reader was configured to ask what to do when connected.

My conclusion is that there is some file that I copied that makes the reader "hang". The solution is to identify the file and remove it. Since the reader doesn't boot anymore and isn't visible on the PC, I can't do that.

Is there someone who knows how to regain control of the reader anyway? I stress again that resetting doesn't help (the reader tries to boot, but then "hangs" on the "Bookland's" page.

Please advise.

This message was posted on both Mobileread and sent to pocketgoods.de.

Last edited by vvdb; 12-28-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added firmware version
vvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
mahgister
mahgister
mahgister began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
problem to access the library for the 602

dear friend i have the same problem read my thread : problem to access the library for the 602...

Mahgister
mahgister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
You might be able to clear the problem with a "hard" reset. The reset button only does a reboot, normally, but there are special button combinations you can hold while booting to reach firmware update mode or a "hard" reset. Such a hard reset should wipe the built-in flash, getting the reader into an operational state again. I haven't looked up what the button combination is, and identifying what file causes this problem might help in fixing it so it won't reoccur.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
I had the same problem i think (PocketBook 902 won't start thread). I had to delete everything from the main memory. What about to try to re-flash the firmware? Or a hard reset, as LoneTech wrote - if you know the "button combination".
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
vvdb
vvdb began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902PRO black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
I had the same problem i think (PocketBook 902 won't start thread). I had to delete everything from the main memory. What about to try to re-flash the firmware? Or a hard reset, as LoneTech wrote - if you know the "button combination".
I managed to solve the problem... and identify the issue. I think.

As mentioned in the first post of this thread, I also submitted the problem to pocketgoods. Of course, in my e-mail to them, I forgot to mention that I already had the latest firmware (2.0.3 as of this writing) and you can guess what their reply was: please install the latest firmware.
Typical.

However, that gave me an idea: I wiped a MicroSD card clean, installed the 2.0.3 firmware (SWUPDATE.BIN), and re-executed the update process. After the message "System is shutted down" (sic) "Press on to reboot", I turned on the device.
It hanged.
After a heartfelt curse, I turned off the device, removed the MicroSD card and turned it on again.
It worked! I was able to see the main menu. I attached an USB cable, clicked on "PC Link" when prompted, and deleted all my ebooks from the built-in memory, which was now accessible.
After that, the system worked correctly.

The remaining thing to do is to answer the question "why did the darn thing hang in the first place?". The reason seems to be filename length.

I had a subdirectory "Library" on the card.
In the subdirectory Library" was a subdirectory "ASD".
In the subdirectory "ASD", there was one pdf called: "Understanding Sensory Dysfunction Learning, Development and Sensory Dysfunction in ASD, ADHD, Learning Disabilities and Bipolar Disorder.pdf" (without quotes)
In the subdirectory "Library" was another subdirectory "Culture".
In the subdirectory "Culture, there was one pdf called: "Tribute to Hinduism Thoughts and Wisdom Spanning Continents and Time About India and Her Culture.pdf" (without quotes)

Putting these files on the 902 crashes the "Library" selection on the main menu. If you're lucky and this is on your MicroSD card, you can remove the card and regain control of the reader. If you're stupid enough (like me) to have this on the built-in memory, you're hosed. The reader will hang.

I suggest to whoever is responsible of writing this firmware to clean up their act and make the system more robust. 2.0.5, anyone?
vvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks so much for sharing this!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
tomhck
Enthusiast

Quote:
After that, the system worked correctly.
Glad to read it

Quote:
The remaining thing to do is to answer the question "why did the darn thing hang in the first place?". The reason seems to be filename length.
I had almost same problem, but the "hang-file" was in "Knihy/škola" subdirectory and the file was called "RVP_ZV_kapitola_Cast_D.pdf". It's not so long… Deleting the file did not help, i had to delete everything from the main memory.

Quote:
If you're stupid enough (like me) to have this on the built-in memory, you're hosed. The reader will hang.
I'm still stupid But i found workaround.
1. In "Configuration, Key mapping" set shortcut for "Last open books" (i set it to power button - short press).
2. If your device hangs, press the shortcut button, open a book from "Last open books" menu, connect device to computer, try to delete what you think is wrong.
It worked for me…

And there is another solution. I have repair tools - two hands, one sharp axe and one heavy hammer

Quote:
I suggest to whoever is responsible of writing this firmware to clean up their act and make the system more robust. 2.0.5, anyone?
At least 3.0.0
Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

The problem with RVP_ZV_kapitola_Cast_D.pdf may be another bug - perhaps related to metadata inside the file, such as the title. Either way these are serious bugs, the long filenames one shouldn't have existed in the first place, and some sort of watchdog or safe mode to keep it from hosing the device should be implemented. I'll drop a notice in the bug report thread, but this is GiK territory.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
mahgister
mahgister
mahgister began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
all is ok the problem of access to library solved

thank you very much, my problem is solved and i have followed the same procedure. I think the same... its a bug with some title in the main memory and in the memory card...
mahgister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
LoneTech
Zealot

FWIW, once I fiddled with the configuration my PB903 informed me that there is a safe mode - hold the home menu button when starting up. I haven't tested if that bypasses the library problem, but with a little luck it might allow connecting a hosed device to a computer.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
tomhck
Enthusiast

When i had this problem and my PB hung, i tried safe mode (old firmware - 2.0.2) and it didn't help… Only some pop-up window was shown when i pressed some button. Maybe warning - "you are in safe mode" - i don't remember. Apart from this message it was the same behaviour as in normal mode.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
ROGERSMITH1
ROGERSMITH1 began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 902
i recently bought 902. i noted that the table structure is not supported in 902. i am new to pocketbook. either adobe reader or fbreader don't support table stucture and pictures appear smaller than original.
can any other reader app can be installed in 902- like isilo or mobireader? any help?
ROGERSMITH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
I had almost same problem, but the "hang-file" was in "Knihy/škola" subdirectory and the file was called "RVP_ZV_kapitola_Cast_D.pdf". It's not so long… Deleting the file did not help, i had to delete everything from the main memory.
I'd suspicion on subdirectory "Knihy/škola" -Diacritics in directory name will never be not doing goodness.
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Natash
Natash began at the beginning.

If anybody could say what button combination does "hard" reset?
Natash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
drcain
drcain began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Pro
Exclamation THIS IS SERIOUS BUG

I have the very same issue, so far nothing I found in other threads (and other websites) helped. I've made a quite extensive research on this topic. The firmware update still works though, so I have tried all possible firmware versions (2.0.3, 2.0.4, 2.0.5, 2.0.6) and their RU, NA, EU alternates - with no luck.
This is second time this happened - I have returned the first Pocketbook 902 in 7 days after purchase with this issue, they have sent me a new one - this happened again to new one again after 7 days. So there's no use getting a new one as it will probably happen again and again and again.

THERE IS SERIOUS BUG IN POCKETBOOK 902 PRO - WHY THERE IS NO ONE FROM SUPPORT TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE? The "hard reset" button combination would be a good start..

I will also try my luck in BUGREPORT section..
drcain is offline   Reply With Quote