Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
inasmuch
inasmuch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One and Overdrive

I'm in the US - Washington State, Seattle Area, so I'm connected to the King County Library system.
Everything is working great to borrow books from the King County (public) library except if I have to place a book on hold - super common for good books from the library.
Overdrive is one of the main reasons I went with the Kobo over a similar Kindle. After all, the same corp. owns both Kobo and Overdrive so you'd figure it should just work. Mostly, but not entirely.

For those curious the way it basically works is you search for a book on the Kobo store from the Aura One and instead of buying the book, you click on the three little dots (...) and an option comes up to borrow the book from you local library (or whichever library you have setup under settings). IF the book is available to borrow it's yours in two seconds. Cool! So far so good.

Sometimes your library just doesn't carry the book so SOL. Fine, fair enough.
But, more often, your library does carry the book but they are maxxed out, so you have to place a hold on it. The option is there (place a hold?). Slick. Very cool.
HOWEVER, I can't figure out how to check out the book once the hold is available.
Backup ... here's how it works.
I click on the three dots and place a hold and forget about it.
A few days (or weeks) later, I get an email from my library saying the book is available. GREAT! From Kobo, to Overdrive, to my library, to my email. Wow.
Now what??
That's my question. I can't figure out how to borrow it on my Aura One once the hold is lifted.

When I go back into the book on the Aura One, hit the three dots, it only gives me the option to place a hold (again). Just for the heck of it, and after some trial and error, I hit "place a hold" again thinking maybe it would say, "Oh wait, you've already done that, so borrow away!" but no, I get an error message. Arg..

So how do you borrow a book that you placed a hold on once it's ready?
I tried Kobo support chat, but the person could not grasp the details of my issue. Maybe I'm not explaining it the best, I don't know. Very possible.
Any help would be awesome. Even if the answer is, "sorry, it doesn't work with books on hold" that would at least be an answer. The Kobo support chat person was from another dimension, I swear. It was so robotic. I can post the transcript, but this is already too long. Soooo..

tl;dr How you do check out books from the Aura One that you previously placed on hold?
Thanks!
inasmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Once your books is available you should just need to sync with Kobo and the book will automatically download. It downloads as kepub.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasmuch View Post
Sometimes your library just doesn't carry the book so SOL. Fine, fair enough.
But, more often, your library does carry the book but they are maxxed out, so you have to place a hold on it. The option is there (place a hold?). Slick. Very cool.
HOWEVER, I can't figure out how to check out the book once the hold is available.
Backup ... here's how it works.
I click on the three dots and place a hold and forget about it.
A few days (or weeks) later, I get an email from my library saying the book is available. GREAT! From Kobo, to Overdrive, to my library, to my email. Wow.
Now what??
That's my question. I can't figure out how to borrow it on my Aura One once the hold is lifted.
For my local libraries, there is a settings checkbox that says Automatically borrow this title when available when I place a hold on a book. When I look at the ebook in my Holds, I see Auto Checkout: On. From the Options dropdown on the held book, there is an Auto Checkout item which lets me disable the auto checkout on a book by book basis. With this setting on, the ebook is automatically checked out when it becomes available and a simple sync of my KA1 when I receive the ebook available email downloads it to my KA1.

This is the Overdrive help link form the BC Libraries for this setting: What is automatic checkout and how do I turn it on or off?. I suspect your library has a similar setting.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
inasmuch
inasmuch began at the beginning.

Wow, re-sync. That's it. How embarrassing. Works like a charm. Thanks! Sorta wish I could delete my post, but maybe it helps someone else as slow as me in the future..
Thanks!
inasmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
ArtHG
ArtHG began at the beginning.

This adding of a held book to the Kobo Aura One has long confused me and I found the previous explanation a little unclear so now that I've got it figured out I'd like to offer the cole's condensed version. Check the book out either manually or with auto checkout on the library system. Then sync your Kobo and the book appears on it. Simple enough but took me hours to figure out,
ArtHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I just ordered an Aura One, due for delivery Monday although it's been over 24 hours and still in CA according to tracking updates. Anyway, this thread is very helpful as I've learned of features I had no clue about. Thanks!
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote