Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Star Wars books - various authors (although the last two series have been weak)
Star Wars has been weak since they kind of ran out of new ideas and just rehashed the old ones over and over.

I'll put in for Star Trek that is doing very well with very good new ideas.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #32
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
My 2c, and in no order;

Harry Potter (read them because our kids wanted to, loved them)
Harry Bosch - Michael Connelly
Jack Reacher - Lee Child (so not looking forward to Tom Cruise taking on this)
Spider Shepherd - Stephen Leather
Charlie Fox - Zoe Sharp
Warwick Todd - Tom Gleisner (Australians may appreciate these, but LOL stuff)
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #33
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Also Block's Matthew Scudder series.

James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Since I am re-reading all the books now: Sara Paretsky's V.I Warshawski books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #35
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Iain M. Banks - Culture series
William Gibson - Sprawl series
Neal Stephenson - Baroque series
Robert Aspirin - Thieves' World series
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
Robert Aspirin - Thieves' World series
I find Robert Asprin's Myth series excellent. But the Thieves' World I found awful. I could not even get past the first book it was that bad.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #37
ChocolateyClaire
ChocolateyClaire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Alex Cross - James Patterson
Jack Reacher - Lee Child

I've read all of the James Patterson books, but still have most of the Lee Child books to read. I plan to start reading them in between reading the freebies.
ChocolateyClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The series where I'm most looking forward to new books is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
I'm also really enjoying the Hal Spacejock series by Simon Haynes right now.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #39
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Is Lord of the Rings one book, or a series?

A Song of Ice and Fire, Hyperion, and the first part of the Dune series. And the Baroque series by Stephenson. And...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #40
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
We love the "Eyre Affair"/ "Lost in a good book" series by Jasper Fford. Almost makes you want to read classic literature to learn the back story of the literature characters that show up.
Oh yes, add that one to my list, too, though I found the last one to be a bit of a letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have a series of books featuring "Agent Pendergast" that are fun.
I am a bit behind with this series, but yes, it is quite good. The first one (Relic) was one of the very rare books that ever freaked me out.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #41
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
For fans of hitmen stories, such as the Keller series by Lawrence Block, then the John Rain series by Bary Eisler is worth a read. I'm on the 6th book and have enjoyed the stories and Rain's character development.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #42
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Both the Ender series and the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card
Robot Series by Isaac Asimov

and I know they don't really fit with this list but I love the

Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
It's a series if you include The Hobbit regardless if the other books are a series or not.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #44
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Seventh Swordsman by Dave Duncan.
Laundry series by Charles Stross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
It's six books in three volumes I believe.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #45
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find Robert Asprin's Myth series excellent. But the Thieves' World I found awful. I could not even get past the first book it was that bad.
Thieves' World varies a lot with the authors in a given book. As it gets going, it gets darker. Stories in that series by Janet Morris and CJ Cherryh are some of the best fantasy I have read.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote