Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Cheapest, smallest e-reader that isn't a Kindle

I got a Cybook Opus five years ago. It stayed with me through thick and thin, still worked perfectly and I fully intended to use it until it physically fell apart; unfortunately, not two hours ago some lowlife stole my coat, and the Opus was in one of its pockets.

I'll spare you the sadness and anger, and I'll skip straight to the question - I need a new e-reader to take its place.

The first requirement is that it be cheap. Like, really cheap. I just emptied the disposable savings account for something else and can spare precious little money for non-vital purposes. Fortunately I need absolutely no special features - no backlight, no touchscreen, not even WiFi - I just need something into which I can load DRM-free epub files and which will show them on the screen. I don't even need it to be a good screen - I'd always used the Opus with the refresh disabled and had no problem reading even with all the little imperfections that came up after the third unrefreshed page change.

The second is that it be small. The Opus had a 5-inch screen and would fit into a large pocket with its faux-leather pouch; something of similar size would be good. This is going to be strictly a travel reader, as I already have a ten-incher for when I'm home.

The third is that it not be a Kindle. I emphatically don't want to futz around with Calibre converting my rather extensive library of epubs into mobi to suit Amazon's proprietary system, especially since I have no intention of ever using their store.

Anything out there for me?
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you're okay with older models I've seen some good prices on eBay for Kobo Mini's (like $30ish) and occasionally see an old Opus ($20-$25ish).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have to agree about the Kobo Mini. I had a couple of them that I've since passed on to my friends. I want a front light on my reader. I found the 5" screen to be just right and I liked how easily it fit into a pocket. It weighed practically nothing and the screen was good and sharp. For a non-lit reader it had excellent contrast. It also had a good selection of features.

I was looking on Ebay the other day and I saw a number of them for sale at prices around $30 or $40.

I also saw some Kobo Aura's for about $40 to $50. That's a 6" reader with a front light and pretty much the same feature set. It's probably the smallest and lightest of the 6" readers. It's very small. I bought a couple of them used 2 or 3 months ago from Ebay and they're like new. I paid $50 each and got free shipping.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'll second the Aura. It is a fairly small reader. And who knows, once you have a light, you may like it. Some people use the light, even in bright light, because it improves contrast.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Don't be misdirected by screen size specs when you are concerned with the size of the device. Newer tech and the resulting newer designs have reduced to width of the bezel bordering the screen. While the current Kobo Aura (series 2, according to their website) has a ~25mm larger screen diagonal, it is a mere 8mm wider and 8mm taller than the older Cybook Opus (according to the MR Wiki) and the Aura is 15% thinner. There may well be other 6" devices today that are near size matches to the 5" Opus.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Don't be misdirected by screen size specs when you are concerned with the size of the device. Newer tech and the resulting newer designs have reduced to width of the bezel bordering the screen. While the current Kobo Aura (series 2, according to their website) has a ~25mm larger screen diagonal, it is a mere 8mm wider and 8mm taller than the older Cybook Opus (according to the MR Wiki) and the Aura is 15% thinner. There may well be other 6" devices today that are near size matches to the 5" Opus.
I can confirm than the previous Aura is slightly bigger but thinner and lighter than Opus (I've owned both of them).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
The first requirement is that it be cheap. Like, really cheap.
You haven't indicated where you are located.
If it is USA, check Goodwill and see what they got. A few months ago there was discussion about cheap readers sold by Goodwill.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Goodwill reader auctions...
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings....asp?catID=351
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote