Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoplast26 View Post
The Hi DPI Settings is missing on the newer version
Attachment 194911
Attachment 194912
It is my understanding that HighDPI is now inherently handled by Qt6. The mechanisms used to tweak it in Qt5 are no longer available.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds910 View Post
I have no ransomware protection installed; Avast! does not report any interference whatsoever -- and as I said, a reinstall of the earlier version of Calibre restores functionality. Whatever is happening here is related only to version 6.
Thats a permission denied error accessing the server log file. There were no changes to the server in calibre 6. Something on your computer is reacting differently to calibre 6 vs 5. Try rebooting in safe mode, that will confirm it.
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #18
sds910
sds910 began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thats a permission denied error accessing the server log file. There were no changes to the server in calibre 6. Something on your computer is reacting differently to calibre 6 vs 5. Try rebooting in safe mode, that will confirm it.
The culprits are two files: server-access-log.txt and server-log.txt. Calibre 6 refuses to launch if those files are present. If I delete both files, Calibre 6 launches normally... and creates the logfiles upon doing so... HOWEVER, upon relaunch, the presence of the files causes the same problem... files that 6 itself created.

It should be noted that both files have Full Control permissions enabled for SYSTEM, the user and the Administrators group as do the folders (of course, if the folder permissions were limited, 6 wouldn't be able to create the files in the first place).

Furher update. After some time of running in the system tray, 6 cannot be maximized... having now DISABLED the server, this behavior persists. Going to need to roll back to version 5.

Last edited by sds910; 07-11-2022 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #19
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
QT functionality?

I too am having trouble with my Calibre screen opening minimized. It then takes two clicks of the screen min/max button before it goes completely full screen.

I have no idea what this QT business is that your reference. But I would love to have some clues as to what to do next to try to get Calibre to save the last used screen configuration.

Please and thanks.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont follow. Assuming you are talking about calibre on windows, if you press the maximize button once, the calibre window will be maximized. If you press the minimize button once, it will be minimized. There is no full screen for the main calibre window.
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #21
alumoi
Enthusiast
alumoi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
There's a problem with the font rendering on Windows 10. ON 5.x the fonts were respecting Windows settings regarding cleartype and all the rest, now they kinda suck (sorry).
On the left is calibre, on the right is Windows Explorer. Both should be using Ubuntu 9 with what passes for cleartype on Windows these days.

Spoiler:

Last edited by chaley; 07-11-2022 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Put huge image in a spoiler
Old 07-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Font rendering is done by Qt its not in calibre's control. And as far as I know Qt renders text using DirectWrite on windows, so it should look the same as the rest of windows.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #23
alumoi
Enthusiast
alumoi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
OK, replying to myself, just sorted it out. Changed the font to verdana, restarted calibre, changed it back to ubuntu and now it's all OK.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #24
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iphone ipad
Loading books works after I deleted my plugins

Last edited by joeru; 07-11-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #25
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
5 + 6

Can I safely install version 6 along version 5 on the same computer without using a portable version ?
Old 07-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Font rendering is done by Qt its not in calibre's control. And as far as I know Qt renders text using DirectWrite on windows, so it should look the same as the rest of windows.
I also came across a minor issue with bold text in comments field. Copying it here in case anyone needs it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For anyone else who's run into bold text rendering weirdly in the comments field (this may be dependent on UI font used):

QT6 changed the font weight for 'bold' from 600 to 700. You can search comments:font-weight to find them and then apply this search-and-replace:

Attachment 194770
Old 07-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
Can I safely install version 6 along version 5 on the same computer without using a portable version ?
No on windows you can only install one calibre.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #28
Protoplast26
Protoplast26 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th gen and Kobo Aura H2O
Hi DPI

Quote:
Yes, the Qt functionality it was based on is gone. Now adjustment is automatic.
The Problem is that now the iconography is to large even if the icon are set to small. Are there some sort of tweak to override the scaling factor inside of Calibre. If I disable the scaling on the Windows side everything is too small
Old 07-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #29
nephtys59
nephtys59 began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Calibre 6 portable on Windows 10 x64 - one small bug in Calibre editor, TOC editing, if you need to modify one entry the page preview is completely without images and formatting (it didn't happen with 5.44). Hope it can be fixed. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have on a launcher
/usr/bin/env QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.25 /opt/viber/Viber %u

I had to set Browser to use 0.85% scale.

No idea if that helps with Calibre on Linux. Auto HIDPI is stupid.

I've a 4K screen. But it's actually about the SAME dpi as the 1920x1080 native screen on the laptop. Viber, Web browser & Email were a pain.

QT and web browsers ought to use what ever DPI you have set in Windows Graphics properties or Linux Appearance->Fonts->Details.
Closed Thread