Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
UFO/Alien Abduction Stuff -- Fiction and Nonfiction

What do you recommend on the theme of UFOs and alien abductions? I'm interested in nonfiction on the topic (from believers and skeptics alike) as well as fiction. I'm interested in both paranoid views and pro-alien views.

FWIW I do have a couple of the Whitley Streiber books on aliens. Now I just have to remember where I put them. Or maybe my books were abducted!
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
lol.

I was going to mention Strieber's books that I've read, then I re-read your post. "Communion" and "Majestic" were both very good.

Can't think of any others, sorry!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Slaughterhouse five by Kurt Vonnegut. It's somewhat a stretch to say it's an abduction book, but it has its moment.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
No reading but great: TV miniseries Taken by Spielberg.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm thinking of one named "Alien Abduction," by Betty and Barney Hill. It was a bestseller when it came out in the mid-'60s.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I have read and quite enjoyed Edward Ruppelt's non-fiction work "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects".

From the Introduction:

"Unidentified Flying Objects"- exactly what are they? Are they interplanetary spaceships manned by intelligent beings? Or is the whole UFO business just a mass of hoaxes, hallucinations, and readily explained natural phenomena?

This is the first serious book about UFOs to be written by anyone actively connected with the official investigation of these phenomena. As chief of the Air Force project assigned to the investigation and analysis of UFOs, Mr. Ruppelt and his staff studied over 4,500 reports and discussed them with everyone from out-and-out crackpots to top-level scientists and generals.

All reports received were subjected to military intelligence analysis procedures. Astronomers, physicists, aerodynamic engineers, and psychologists were consulted in the course of the Air Force's exhaustive investigations. The official Air Technical Intelligence Center reports of their findings, many details from which are revealed for the first time in this book, contain some completely baffling detailed accounts of UFO sightings by thoroughly reliable witnesses.

Here are the complete official accounts of the classic cases - the Lubbock Lights, the Utah Movies, the Florida Scoutmaster, the Washington Sightings - as well as a wealth of less-publicized but equally amazing incidents.

While others who have written books and articles on UFOs imply that they were conferring with officials in the inner sanctum, Mr. Ruppelt, as this fascinating book makes clear, was the inner sanctum."

It's freely available from Project Gutenberg here.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Scamper
Scamper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Jacques Vallee

Jacques Vallee would be my choice here.

He is the scientist from Close Encounters of the Third Kind and has some very interesting views on the UFO experience. Try Messengers of Deception.

Also, try Robert Anton Wilson's Cosmic Trigger.

Neither of these books are available as ebooks, which is a shame.
Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I'd second the recommendation for Jacques Vallee -- very thought-provoking stuff, examining the "tricksterish" nature of many UFO encounters, taking it a step beyond the "nuts and bolts/aliens from outer space" angle.

Rich Dolan's UFOs and the National Security State (Vol I and Vol 2) are both very interesting -- don't know if they are available in ebook form but his work is very well researched and footnoted. Very good speaker on the subject as well.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote