Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
jncrft
jncrft began at the beginning.

Device: none
ADE Epub on B and N

Hello,

This is my first post. I'm thinking/planning on getting a Pocketpro in a couple of weeks. After reading here and looking at the Barnes and Noble site, I have a question. It looks like B&N is using/switching to epub using ADE, but Robert has talked about trying to get ereader support so that Astak devices can buy books from B&N. Can users buy books from B&N in epub format with ADE, or not? I have a lot of books in various formats, and use Baen a lot, so it's not critical, but B&N tries to match Amazon prices, and cheaper is always nice.

Jon
jncrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jncrft View Post
Hello,

This is my first post. I'm thinking/planning on getting a Pocketpro in a couple of weeks. After reading here and looking at the Barnes and Noble site, I have a question. It looks like B&N is using/switching to epub using ADE, but Robert has talked about trying to get ereader support so that Astak devices can buy books from B&N. Can users buy books from B&N in epub format with ADE, or not? I have a lot of books in various formats, and use Baen a lot, so it's not critical, but B&N tries to match Amazon prices, and cheaper is always nice.

Jon
For the moment, you have another problem:
Only (in my experience) about 5% to 10% of B&Ns eBooks are ePUB. The vast majority is PDB.
Of course, you can strip both from DRM and either use their native format or convert to another one. You can buy via the PC application, no need for any B&N eBook reader like nook or iRex 800. But if you strip from DRM, you can do so with Amazon as well.
BTW: I didn't follow the discussion. But I'd be surprised, if Astak would be able to support the B&N DRM. On one hand, B&N wants to keep this as an argument for nook. And on the other hand, iRex made a big deal out of it, having a collaboration with B&N.
And, quite frankly: I like my iRex 800 and my nook. But I'm a bit disappointed in B&N. Especially for somewhat recent bestsellers, they're often behind Amazon. And even BooksOnBoard often beats them in price or availability.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Hello,

Jon
Welcome, Jon! At this time I don't believe you can buy books to read from B&N. Here's a link that gives a bit more information, although it seems to be out of date... http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalp...noble_faq.html

Astak is also working on a book store, and from what Robert has said, the prices should be pretty competitive.

Welcome, and good luck with your purchase! When you do get your Pocket Pro, I think you'll really like it!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Welcome to MobileRead. As Davimee said, ePubs from B&N will only work on Nooks. While B&N uses Adobe Digital Editions for their DRM, just like everyone else, they decided to go with their own modifications. Adobe has said that they'll be coming out with a new version of ADE for everyone else that will work with B&N, but that hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, you have to either strip the DRM from the B&N books or find your books elsewhere.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
They are also misleading. On their website when you have selected an ebook it says: `Works with the eReader you already own'. Very subtle, they say `eReader', not `ereader'. Which means their software. OK, in small letters it says `Learn more' and if you click through you can more or less conclude that it isn't for your ereader. Besides that, if eReader is their software, either on a computer, iPhone/iPod Touch or a nook, do you own it? I thought it was licensed to you?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
B&N EPUB not the same

Quote:
Hello,

Jon
Dear Jon:

First, I work for Astak and I am very happy you are here. Welcome!!

You will love the Pocket PRO for SO many reasons: 8 level grey scale, 20 formats, Adobe Digital Editions, Text-To-Speech, 6 colors (picked by this forum's members), a user-replaceable rechargeable battery, SD card slot to 16GB (roughly 8,000 eBooks and your music), and a quality case and ear buds are included! It is a beauty.

B&N has EPUB... but it is a different EPUB (from what I have heard). B&N is pushing their own eReader format! A new eBook Store that is ONLY for Adobe Digital Editions (Astak, Sony, and numerous more can buy with total confidence)) is due to open April 5. The delay is the rebellion by 5 publishers that want to control the price 100% and want to see everyone sell at one price. NOT GOOD! Anyway, this new site is well stocked and ready and will also feature the entire 1 Million Google Free Library!

Yes, this new eBook Store will have really low pricing (perhaps except for those five publishers). I will announce all on here on April 5!

Your decision on the Pocket PRO is a great one!! You will be amazed at the speed and lightness! It only weighs 5.8 ounces!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
jncrft
jncrft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks

Thanks for the info, Robert (and others). I've been poking around the forum here, so I already knew what a helpful group of people are here, and how responsive the company is to customer requests. It's one of the reasons I've decided to buy an EZreader (I haven't decided between the pocketpro and the plus).

The size, lightness, and battery life of the Pocketpro sound great compared to the ones I've purchased before. I've had an ebook reader since 1999 -- Nuvomedia Rocketbook, if anyone remembers that. Later, after a tragic suitcase-meets-screen incident, I bought the Gemstar version of the same device, which I still have. A dying touch screen, and rotting rubber trim led to buying the ebookwise 1150, which also still works.

It'll be a few weeks before I buy -- I'm hoping that I can compare the plus with the new-and-improved pocketpro firmware to help me decide.

Jon
jncrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
5 or 6 inch?

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Robert (and others). I've been poking around the forum here, so I already knew what a helpful group of people are here, and how responsive the company is to customer requests. It's one of the reasons I've decided to buy an EZreader (I haven't decided between the pocketpro and the plus).

The size, lightness, and battery life of the Pocketpro sound great compared to the ones I've purchased before. I've had an ebook reader since 1999 -- Nuvomedia Rocketbook, if anyone remembers that. Later, after a tragic suitcase-meets-screen incident, I bought the Gemstar version of the same device, which I still have. A dying touch screen, and rotting rubber trim led to buying the ebookwise 1150, which also still works.

It'll be a few weeks before I buy -- I'm hoping that I can compare the plus with the new-and-improved pocketpro firmware to help me decide.

Jon
Dear Jon:

One thing I can tell you is that the PLUS will come with all the firmware upgrades the PRO got already embedded. That will be nice.

The PRO has the 6 colors, a scroll wheel, and that wonderful size and lightness.

The PLUS has 16 level grey scale, a bit larger screen, and USB 2.0.

That's a hard decision!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote