Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
barry
barry began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Metadata editing Problem with PRC

If I download a file in MOBI, it seems to become a PRC file. That is fine if the Metada is correct. However, If I edit the Metadata, then send to device (Kindle), the changes do not appear on the kindle. If I reformat into MOBI after the changes, it displays properly on the Kindle. What am I doing wrong: it seems it should not be a two step process.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
If I download a file in MOBI, it seems to become a PRC file. That is fine if the Metada is correct. However, If I edit the Metadata, then send to device (Kindle), the changes do not appear on the kindle. If I reformat into MOBI after the changes, it displays properly on the Kindle. What am I doing wrong: it seems it should not be a two step process.
The file does not support setting the metadata. This is an issue with the PRC/MOBI file itself. You can always change the metadata within calibre but those changes are only written to the file (if possible) when sending to device or saving to disk.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
barry

Still a bit confused. Is it that the PRC file won't support the metadata? It seems that once I convert to MOBI (using caliber) there is no problem. Is there a way to save the file in the MOBI format, rather than converting it after one has added the metadata. Or do all PRC files inevitably be have to be converted to MOBI, to display properly in the Kindle?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In this case PRC and MOBI are the same format just different extensions. Within the file there is a section for metadata. This section is optional. Often older MOBI files, which have the extension PRC, do not have this section. If it is not present the only way to add it is to take a part the file and rebuild it. This is what happens when you convert the file to MOBI. Calibre creates MOBI files with the optional metadata section.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
barry

Thank you
Advert