Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Make magazine, digital edition is online only.

This past weekend, for my birthday, I subscribed to Make magazine, after many years drooling over it. One of the things that sold me was the "digital edition" option. I know they previously made PDFs available, and since it is an O'Reilly published magazine, I figured digital edition meant an ebook. Pay my money, and low and behold, the digital edition is download only, requiring you to read through a browser. What a let down.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It happens
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
This past weekend, for my birthday, I subscribed to Make magazine, after many years drooling over it. One of the things that sold me was the "digital edition" option. I know they previously made PDFs available, and since it is an O'Reilly published magazine, I figured digital edition meant an ebook. Pay my money, and low and behold, the digital edition is download only, requiring you to read through a browser. What a let down.
That sucks, and especially since O'Reilly is such a pusher of ePub.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I figured, it is O'Reilly, and that they'd previously had downloadable copies available, that it would be something I could drop on my reader.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
PDFs can be found on the darknetz (usenet). And since you are a subscriber, it may even be semi-legal to download them.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Write to them and whine. You never know, it might yield results!?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard

Nomesque, already done, and they said that I basically as SOL, and it was up to some other company as far as how it was released. I am not home, but will post the email when I get there.

AlfonsVH, That is one instance where I would not disagree with piracy. I opted for their premium service, so I could have access to the backlogs in digital form, purely because I wanted it for my reader.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard

Sorry, for the doublepost, but, got a copy of the email here.

Quote:
Hi Keith,
Texterity handles the production of the digital edition of Make magazine. The download option is not an option that this title supports. The tutorial is a generic tutorial geared towards all the digital editions. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Thank you for contacting Texterity.
Sharon Ornell
Texterity, Inc.
144 Turnpike Road
Southborough, MA 01772 USA
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hmmm... if they've given the impression that it's available in ebook format, then you're probably within your rights to request a refund.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard

I still want the paper form, but I nearly got the digital only subscription. Glad I didn't now.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Yeah, I wish more magazines go the PDF route. If they did offer PDFs, instead of the useless Zinio, or this Texterity cr@p, I'd subscribe to more....

I did just subscribe to Scientific American's digital only edition, and I like it a lot. They let you download PDFs, and not just for the current issues, but from their archive as well.

Now I am waiting for a large screen reader, which can do PDF well.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Hey folks. I know I'm 5 months too late for this thread, but I wonder if anyone has done anything additionally with MAKE. While the digital edition is not available as an ebook, you can print out copies from the digital edition - the whole thing. In that light, I was experimenting this morning with trying to get a printed PDF (with text) out into an epub format. I haven't tried just loading the PDF onto my 505, my guess is that it won't reflow. (But who knows)

So I'm looking at some sort of automation for moving this to epub for speed and readability. My current venture is PDF->HTML. Any ideas?
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote