Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
cosfordparker
cosfordparker began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad & Kindle
Post Onboard!

Hello, all - Have had a Kindle for about 6 months, but just purchased the iLiad (can you say conspicuous consumption? ) because of Kindle PDF issues. I do genealogy and saw e-book readers as the perfect portable library for all my documents and notes. While the Kindle will take PDF files with some effort, the formatting is generally messed up - not so useful when dealing with generational material! I thought I could wait-out Amazon finally getting their act together in terms of PDFs, but the frustration level was too high!

iLiad learning curve is a bit higher than Kindle; actually finding myself reading the manual!

Terrific forum! --cosfordparker
cosfordparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello cosfordparker
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi cosfordparker and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello. Welcome.

I also "do" genealogy and I just carry my laptop with me rather than trying to get my materials onto a dedicated reader. As a touch typist, I find it much easier to take notes with a full-sized keyboard than with pen/pencil and paper, which is another reason why the laptop seems to be the best device for me to carry along. Now, I'm seriously considering getting an Eee PC as a replacement for my laptop. I'm not sure that I'll comfortably adjust to the smaller keyboard -- though I can readily attach a full-sized one when I'm at home.

But, back to discussion of reading devices. I'm a delighted owner of a Kindle. I bought it for recreational reading and would like to avoid turning it into any type of a workhorse -- even for a hobby like genealogy. Most of the books I've read on the Kindle have been science fiction and fantasy thanks to the generosity of Baen/Webscriptions, TOR, Corey Doctorow, and Steve Jordan. And, so far, I only have a couple of books on my Kindle that I couldn't read on another MobiPocket reader -- those few that I purchased from Amazon's Kindle store.

When you've got the device mastered, I'd love to hear more about how you utilize the iLiad in your genealogical research.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
cosfordparker
cosfordparker began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad & Kindle
Hi - When I'm actually doing research I agree the laptop is essential. But for reading/noting files from others, articles and transcribed documents (like Quaker Meeting records), I see the iLiad as a way to carry around mountains of paper for access where ever I might be. I'll let you know how it works out.

As for actually reading - I will include a few of my favorite books on the iLiad, but I'm addicted books on an MP3 so I can stitch or do something else at the same time.
cosfordparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert