Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
EvM1
Enthusiast
EvM1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
Messed up Library [open thread]

After making a heap of changes to my Calibre library I thought I'd make a manual save. I noticed there were hundreds more files than I thought was right and that perhaps I had multiple copies of some files.

So then I had the brilliant idea of emptying the folder and starting again, however, following this, Calibre would not allow me to save to that folder anymore.

Next brilliant idea was that I created a Calibre Library 2. I was able to save the library to this, however each folder within this new library is empty.

I've now discovered that the original Calibre Library folder is still connected somehow. Any of the files I've updated by adding and then deleting original, these have been added to the old Calibre Library folder.

When I 'save to disk' to my Calibre backup, this also has empty folders so I'm unable to save a copy of my library at all.

Can someone help me to save my library please?
EvM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Do NOT double and triple post.

This is called spam, by anyone's reckoning.

DO NOT CREATE ANY MORE THREADS ON THIS TOPIC.

THANK YOU.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-30-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
@EvM1 - posting the same thing 3 times won't get you an answer any sooner - in fact to the contrary it will irritate some responders. I appreciate you're probably stressed but...

We've (Me & Dr. Drib) closed the other two threads

When you Remove a library from calibre it does not remove the library folder or it's contents, as you've discovered it merely removes the linkage within calibre to that library folder.

To copy or move books between libraries use the Copy to Library option in the Book List context (right click) menu. You can add Copy to Library to your toolbar via Preferences>Toolbars if you don't like using context menus.

The Save to Disk feature is there to allow users to save books in different folder hierarchies with different file names. And whilst it could be used as the means to backup a library, restoring from it wouldn't be as easy as keeping a backup with a 3rd party purpose designed backup tool. What operating system are you using - Linux, OSX or Windows?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-30-2016 at 09:41 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And I split off the original (excising my Mod powers ) from a Hijacked thread into one of those that is now closed .

Every post has a number in the upper right (near the Karma and report post buttons) Your post became post #1 when I moved it. A clue that no new thread need be started. Use the Report button to request the thread be relocated. Do not just start another (spam) thread.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
EvM1
Enthusiast

Duly scolded. I apologise for not understanding the system properly.

I'm using Windows 10.
Advert
Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvM1 View Post
After making a heap of changes to my Calibre library I thought I'd make a manual save. I noticed there were hundreds more files than I thought was right and that perhaps I had multiple copies of some files.

So then I had the brilliant idea of emptying the folder and starting again, however, following this, Calibre would not allow me to save to that folder anymore.

Next brilliant idea was that I created a Calibre Library 2. I was able to save the library to this, however each folder within this new library is empty.

I've now discovered that the original Calibre Library folder is still connected somehow. Any of the files I've updated by adding and then deleting original, these have been added to the old Calibre Library folder.

When I 'save to disk' to my Calibre backup, this also has empty folders so I'm unable to save a copy of my library at all.

Can someone help me to save my library please?
Do you have a library with your books in it, even if they are in a mess?

Quote:
Duly scolded. I apologise for not understanding the system properly.

I'm using Windows 10.
Same as me - do you have an empty external disk drive ?
Old 03-31-2016, 02:31 AM   #7
EvM1
Enthusiast

I do have a library to look at in Calibre. I have an external drive, which had an old copy of this on it, but - loooonnng story I had to delete it all for an emergency use. I really don't want to have to delete everything, reinstall Calibre and reload it from my kindle - 1487 files. Most of these are word docs converted to AZW3.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:32 AM   #8
EvM1
Enthusiast

I possibly have room on the external hard drive to save something not too big.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator

I want to make sure you have a backup of your library before we start 'fixing' it.

How big is your library folder - right click library folder in File Explorer, select Properties and open the General Tab.

If your external drive has enough free space, copy the library folder there

Otherwise how much free space on your main drive - Windows+E.

BR
Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 AM   #10
EvM1
Enthusiast

Thank you, I really, really appreciate the help. I copied Calibre Library, Calibre Library 2 and Calibre Backup onto the external HD as they are with all folders empty.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I do have a library to look at in Calibre. I have an external drive, which had an old copy of this on it, but - loooonnng story I had to delete it all for an emergency use. I really don't want to have to delete everything, reinstall Calibre and reload it from my kindle - 1487 files. Most of these are word docs converted to AZW3.
Uninstall NEVER changes a Library.
You just have one without the program to Look/manipulate one

Uninstall never deletes Preferences. Once created, they remain.

And 'Delete Library' on the Library icon does not really remove a Library. It only deletes it from the switch Library LIST. If you truly want it gone, follow the instructions that show when you use that menu choice. Also note that you can not delete the current (in use) Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Thank you, I really, really appreciate the help. I copied Calibre Library, Calibre Library 2 and Calibre Backup onto the external HD as they are with all folders empty.
@EvM1 - are you saying that none of your library\author\book folders actually have any book files - eg files with extension MOBI. EPUB, DOC, DOCX etc

If they are not completely empty can you give me a clue what's there -

in the library folders:
is there a file called metadata.db ,
are there folders with Author names
in the Author folders are there
folders with Book Title names and a number - eg "Bleak House (3231)"
in the Book Title folders do these files exist
a file named cover.jpg
a file named metadata.opf
files with 'author name - book title.xxxx' where xxxx is MOBI, EPUB, DOCX etc

Sorry for being so pedantic - but I don't want to create further havoc by giving you bad advice based on false assumptions

BR
Old 03-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
EvM1
Enthusiast

There are folders of author names but each folder is empty. Each one used to contain 3 files, docx, AZW3, metadata.opf.

Last edited by EvM1; 03-31-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator

@EvM1 - do a search (Win+S) for 'metadata.db' - you may need to click 'Search My Stuff'

BR
Old 03-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
EvM1
Enthusiast

When I opened Calibre just now I got this message:

The Library at C:\users\Ev\Documents\Calibre Library appears
to be corrupted. Do you want to try and rebuild it automatically?
The rebuild may not be completely successful. If you say No, a new
empty Calibre library will be created.

Yes No Show Details

So I went with Yes. It's happening now. I'm guessing it won't be very successful given that the backups are all empty.