Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I have recently started listening to audiobooks on my iPhone. Is there any app that will find the audiobooks in your library and play them where it's separate from your music app? Here is the problem I have... I want to listen to music in my car, but I want to listen to audiobooks when I go for a walk. My car has Bluetooth and it automatically starts playing my phone when I crank it up. But now I am constantly having to switch my now playing list from the book to music and vice versa. I have tried a couple of apps specifically for audio-books but they still change the now playing of the built-in Music app. Any ideas?
Yes Bookmark. I've been using the ios app for years. The only thing is to make sure that iTunes recognises the audio as an audiobook but that's a setting you get to using Get Info on the audio.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
There is an app called Bookmark that I use and really like.
http://https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bookmark/id326290323?mt=8
I love Bookmark, wouldn't use anything else for audiobooks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I bought Bookmark, but it does exactly what I didn't want--it replaces the default Music app playlist! Arg!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
Try Ambling Pro. Although you have to pay for it, it is separate from your music and allows you to select books from the itunes library and has no difficulty with audible nooks. There are also other built methods to get books as well. Additionally, you can actually sort books, bookmark and control the playback speed (very useful if someone speaks to slow for you).

For management, I download everything on my computer and created a iPhone playlist to transfer to my phone (including audible books). In ambling pro I select a book from the "pod media" and it is brought "over".

After I complete the audiobook, I mark it off in my Calibre library and remove it from the phone. If a book is deleted from itunes library it is also deleted from ambling pro. The title will still appear, but the actual book is gone. This is advantageous since it does not make a copy to put into ambling pro (saves space).

This is by far the best player I have tried.

I am hoping that Marvin will eventually integrate the ability import our audiobooks into Calibre making it a true library management system.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby View Post
Try Ambling Pro.
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I bought this a couple of days ago ($8.99 in iTunes) and it is pretty much perfect for my needs.

-- It imports books directly from the Apple Music app on the iPhone. No need for a separate sync.

-- Presents each file as a single recording, not as different "parts" as it appears in the Music app.

-- 15 second and 1 minute back/forth buttons.

-- Automatically jumps back 15 seconds when restarting a book after pausing. This is something I always did manually in the Music app.

-- Integrated sleep timer, with a lot of different time options and a great "Shake Phone to Restart Timer" feature. There is a little noise that plays right before the timer goes off so you can give it a shake if you are still awake.

It also has more advanced bookmarking, which I haven't delved into yet.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
If Audible has its own application, why not use that?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
If Audible has its own application, why not use that?
Because it overwrites the music playlist. Refer to original post. ;-)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Some other options...
AudiobookCD Free does what I want. It has ads, or you can pay 99¢ for ad-free. You can pause from the lock screen, which is nice, but it only has 30s rewind. I am using the free version for now and may get Ambling player if it goes on sale again.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audi...515773933?mt=8

On Cue Player (99¢) will do what I want according to its author, but it is no longer being developed.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/on-c...403200500?mt=8
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Went with AudiobookCD (99¢) after using the free version for a while. Recent update added 30s fwd and back and controls for changing playback speed. 👍 Very happy with it.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I've had this exact problem and the best solution I've found is to use the downcast podcast app. Use something like ifunbox or itools so you can see the folder structure for the app and drag n drop whatever you want to listen to into its media folder. Then, in the downcast app there is an import function that will automatically convert to the downcast format AND keep the files out of the Itunes library. It will keep track of place in multiple audiobooks and you can also listen to them at faster speeds if you'd like. Might sound difficult, but I find it much easier and way more reliable than the apps in this thread (most of which I've tried at some point).
I second this. I use Downcast for all my spoken word audio (podcasts and audiobooks). Works fantastic.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote