Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Good old Sony reader!

I just wanted to say that while Sony has really screwed themselves when it comes to the e-reader sector it has had nothing to do with the quality of their hardware. I've been browsing the Kobo and Kindle forums and the number of complaints regarding the quality of the hardware has been astounding. I've had my 650 for getting close to two years now and while it does lack a light I have never ever had a freeze, or a spontaneous reboot or a problem with the battery draining overnight or slowdowns with a lot of books or anything like that! It's unfortunate that Sony never had the vision to back up their great hardware. To me their bookstore is a desolate desert and their yearly reader revisions (although great quality wise) always seem designed to fight the last war rather than the next one so to speak.
I think that my 650 is still good enough for me to wait at least another product release before jumping in and getting a new reader.
(by the way I use the PRS+ custom software and that also makes all the difference in the world).
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm still in love with my 350s. While I was tempted when I originally saw the Paperwhite ads because of the convenience of the light, I'm going to wait and see what Sony brings out next year. I've noticed the negative feedback too regarding the Nooks, Kobos and even the Paperwhites. Like you, I've had zero problems with my 350s... no battery drains, no odd reboots, no freezes, have almost 1100 books on them both now and no problems with slowness like others have reported. The x50 line is still the best reader out there IMO for both hardware and software. I'm not tied to one store for purchases, so Sony's limited selection isn't an issue. I manage my library through Calibre only, so I really could care less about wi-fi.

I don't need another reader unless my 2 350s die, I'm perfectly happy with my Sony lighted cover (and 2 clip on lights as well I use at times). The size and weight of the new Paperwhite would be more than my 350 in the lighted cover, so there's really no advantage for myself to upgrade now. I really love the 5" format and how small it is to carry everywhere. I know when Sony finally releases a glow reader, it'll most likely only be available in 6" too, but how the Sony handles collections, the software, coupled with PRS+, can't be beat.

Edit: I'll also add that I've dropped my readers many times, even on concrete pavement. They're both in Sony only covers, one with the light and one without. Each time I hold breath while I check the reader and I'm always amazed that they still work.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
My T2 is just like my T1: good. Still I'm quite tempted by this one:
http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html
Can anyone give some good arguments for not putting my money (200 euro is a lot!) on the upcoming Onyx 6"?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I have a Sony 950 and I love it, but it is old tech..
I am looking for a new reader, but Sony has nothing on offer that can compete with current ereaders. It is very frustrating.

Even Sony's current models can hardly compete with their predecessors like the 650 and the 950. I love the internal silo for the stylus, or the aluminum casing, the audio capability, and the hardware buttons, and I love the 7" screen of the 950.
Sony's current single model has lost all that (except the hw buttons).

In fact if Sony would upgrade the 950 with their latest software, a better battery, a faster processor, glowlight, a higher resolution and more storage I would buy it without thinking twice. I would be prepared to pay at least double of what other brands ask.... even if they removed the 3g.
But for their cheap plastic ereader offerings without audio, without internal silo for the stylus, without glo light, without higher res. etc I am not prepared to pay more than for the competitor models. In fact I think, all considering, Sony's reader should be one of the most affordable readers instead of being one of the most expensive.

Their reader software is very good though and their on board dictionaries are without equal. At the moment the lack of dictionaries in other models is the only thing keeping me from switching brands.

@ Adbosch
That Onyx looks very good. I will keep an eye on that model.
What is the reputation of Onyx? Are their readers any good?

Last edited by Iskariot; 10-25-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Yeah, even Sony can't compete with their own (old) products.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have both a 650 and a 350, and while overall I agree, I have regular problems with the battery draining too quickly with both of them.

It seems - although I have not completed thorough testing - it happens after I load more books to the reader using calibre. And the hard reset* seems to fix the problem, at least until the next time I load more books.

But I know I got the suggestion to use the hard reset from this forum, so I think if you look, there are some complaints about the 350/650 line as well.

EDIT: "Hard reset" meaning using the reset button at the same time as holding in the power button, which forces the reader to restart. Not the reset that sets everything back to the factory defaults. I may not be using the right term for what I do, since I just noticed "hard reset" being used to describe resetting the reader to factory defaults on another thread.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 10-07-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: clarification of term
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I have a Sony 950 and I love it, but it is old tech..
I am looking for a new reader, but Sony has nothing on offer that can compete with current ereaders. It is very frustrating.

Even Sony's current models can hardly compete with their ancestors like the 650 and the 950. I love the internal silo for the stylus, or the aluminum casing, the audio capability, and the hardware buttons, and I love the 7" screen of the 950.
Sony's current single model has lost all that (except the hw buttons).

In fact if Sony would upgrade the 950 with their latest software, a better battery, a faster processor, glowlight, a higher resolution and more storage I would buy it without thinking twice. I would be prepared to pay at least double of what other brands ask.... even if they removed the 3g.
But for their cheap plastic ereader offerings without audio, without internal silo for the stylus, without glo light, without higher res. etc I am not prepared to pay more than for the competitor models. In fact I think, all considering, Sony's reader should be one of the most affordable readers instead of being one of the most expensive.

Their reader software is very good though and their on board dictionaries are without equal. At the moment the lack of dictionaries in other models is the only thing keeping me from switching brands.

@ Adbosch
That Onyx looks very good. I will keep an eye on that model.
What is the reputation of Onyx? Are their readers any good?
The dictionaries and PDF support (with reflow) are keeping me from purchasing another brand as well. My PRS-350 still works perfectly after two years, but the battery does drain a little bit faster, which is understandable. In fact, my PRS-505, which my husband is now using, is still in great condition and has not given us any problems; my husband loves it and has no desire to upgrade. I have a T1, and while I do enjoy it and appreciate the ability to change fonts and the added wi-fi, I do think that the quality of their ebook readers is not what it once was. I also much prefer the pre-android firmware on the Sony Readers; my 350 feels faster than my T1. I, too, would buy an updated 950 in a heartbeat. I may wait to see what Sony offers next year before purchasing another ebook reader, although the Kindle Paperwhite is tempting me, as I have long thought that t would be nice to have a Kindle as a backup ebook reader, so that I could get the best of both worlds. I would also appreciate the higher resolution screen.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The 950 is still my favorite e-reader. Nothing beats the extra space on the screen. Especially if you use it for newspapers as well.

The 350 is just.... so cute. Love it for travel.

I use both a KT and a Paperwhite a lot now... but my primary reader is still the 950. Wish they made an updated one...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
vxf- would you say the Paperwhite has a much better screen regardless of light ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post
vxf- would you say the Paperwhite has a much better screen regardless of light ?
No. Not at all. With the light off, it's on par with the Kindle Touch, which I found comparable to my PRS950, but inferior to T1/T2.

With the light off, I would go with a T2.
But that light.... it makes the difference. Ironically, it seems to most help when reading in bright environments. You crank that light high and put the PW next to a T2 and it's a noticeably whiter background.

At night, that light is not very different from reading on an LCD. For all the talk about frontlit vs backlit screens, it's a damn light shining in your face. You need to turn it way down, or it feels like reading on an iPad. And, at that point, it's no better than a SONY with a lighted cover.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks !
See I'm currently hauling my PRS-650 and was wondering if I should get the Paperwhite at all or just put 20 bucks on a clip-light for it...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post

Their reader software is very good though and their on board dictionaries are without equal.
^^^^
Agree with this. Like CanuckinJapan stated, I would be hard pressed to switch to the Kindle PW or the KoboGlo. I like the ideas behind them, but as usual with technolocy, it seldom reaches the goals.

I hope that Sony picks up the ball and runs with it. Can you imagine the ultimate reader created by Sony if they took ALL the best features from theirs previous models and added the innovative ideas behind the mew Kindle/Kobo, and actually came out with a solid reader with all those features? For right now, I love my T1, but I would definitely be switching/upgrading for that dream, ultimate-reader!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post
Thanks !
See I'm currently hauling my PRS-650 and was wondering if I should get the Paperwhite at all or just put 20 bucks on a clip-light for it...
For what it's worth, I'd say keep the 650 and if you really want to read in the dark, get the clip on light. I prefer the eReader-Lite, which sells for either 10.00 or 15.00 at Target. I'll admit I pad it just a little, otherwise it overlaps the 650's bezel just a little too much.

I just don't think the screen is different enough to make the extra money worth it. Hold off for another year or two and buy whatever's new when your 650 finally displeases you.

I still think - if you're going to stick with unhacked firmware - the organization method of the x50 readers is the least frustrating (with the alphabetic TOC on the right-hand side of the book list).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
Fif23
Connoisseur

Sounds like a plan My thoughts exactly. Thanks Fizzy
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #15
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
One reason for staying with a X50 reader (at least that's MY reason) is PRS+

In future versions (yes, it's still under development) improvements like this are to be awaited:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-9_1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	93724

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-9_2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	93725

And hopefully user-dic's...
I use the new layout-dialogue in my Zork-edition so there is little reason to change my reader.
New screen resolution of Paperwhite in comparison with Sony:

6" reader from Sony: 166ppi
5" reader from Sony: 200ppi
6" reader Paperwhite: 213ppi

213ppi is noticably better than 166ppi, the typical resolution of todays 6" readers. But in hinsight of the PRS350 I see no huge improvement. So yes: 'good old Sony'...
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote