Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
pmthokku
pmthokku began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800sg, Sony PRS950, Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Entourage Edge
Academic pdf on rooted multitouch NST

Just wanted to know how usable the nook simple touch is with multitouch enabled (pinch to zoom, fit pdf to landscape width) for reading academic pdfs. How easy is it to open multiple documents and switch between them? Is ICS available along with multitouch enabled for this device? Thanks in advance.
pmthokku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I use a reader called APV. This can be set to stay in landscape with the rest of the Android interface in portrait.

Reading academic PDFs is OK in landscape if the text is one column across a normal A4 page width. A giant textbook presents problems. You have to read down one column then scroll back up, and the response is not fast with a very big file. Pictures may well be hard to see across the full width.

I don't feel the need for multitouch as there is a zoom button (autohides itself) available all the time. If e.g. the margins change, you can tap "fit to width" then tap the zoom to adjust. Only takes a second. It is not possible to switch between documents with this software, but you can just open a different PDF and it will remember your page, so it is effectively the same as if both were open at once. It is three presses (menu, open, choose file).

Basically it is not a problem so long as the PDFs are all text and in one column on a normal size page.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
pmthokku
pmthokku began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800sg, Sony PRS950, Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Entourage Edge
Thank you. I think I will go ahead and get it then.
pmthokku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Alright, I hope you don't get mad at me if it doesn't live up to your hopes in some way.

Look for a special on the Nook, they often seem to run discounts.

Before you root it, be sure to make a backup image of the drive. There are instructions for this on the XDA site. You never know if you are going to screw up somehow and brick the thing ("root" it in the Australian sense).

You will need the Search Market app for the Android market. You can push this across to the Nook from your computer using your Google account.

It is worth taking some time to get the Android interface set up for e-ink. This means going through and turning off all the animations, changing the icons to black and white, and that sort of thing.

Bear in mind that the battery will drain faster in Android if you are running processor-intensive or screen-refresh-intensive applications.

I put some initial impressions of my experience here, though soon after that I went back to using it in portrait mode except for PDF viewing. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181034

I made a few screenshots to give a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop.png
Views:	330
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	89033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ordinary PDF.png
Views:	337
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	89034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big textbook.png
Views:	341
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	89035   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDF made of images.png
Views:	322
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	89036  
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Frankly, I'd go with a larger tablet for pdfs - something like a 10". PDFs are viewable in like half-page view on a Nook Color sized gadget, but I wouldn't get it for frequent pdf usage.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert