Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #196
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I hear it over Manchester way (Maybe it's an age thing instead of a north south divide?), I always thought a bonnet was one of those victorian type girlie hats and a bobble hat was a wool hat with a bobble on top.

Yep looks like google images agrees with me (Unless it's adjusted the search results for my area)
Yeah that's what I think of bonnet as too, never heard "bobble hat" though. We've always referred to the wool hat with a "bobble" on top as a beanie, but I guess the bobble part is more specific as not all beanie's have bobbles. It's probably a "me" thing more than an age or n/s divide thing, Live and learn
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #197
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I always thought a bonnet was one of those victorian type girlie hats and a bobble hat was a wool hat with a bobble on top.
I thought a bonnet was a hat worn by your car's engine
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #198
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Interesting link

Never heard the term bobble hat used in the UK whilst I've heard people say bonnet a lot, especially around easter time where you hear "Easter bonnet" or "Easter hat" a lot. Maybe it's a term used is southern England? Anyone from the UK that's heard that term, which part of the country are you in?
Are you British, Joe? I'm astounded that you've never heard of bobble hats if you are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #199
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah that's what I think of bonnet as too, never heard "bobble hat" though. We've always referred to the wool hat with a "bobble" on top as a beanie, but I guess the bobble part is more specific as not all beanie's have bobbles. It's probably a "me" thing more than an age or n/s divide thing, Live and learn
Why is it called a "beanie"? I can't see any connection between woolly hats and beans.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #200
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
If you take the bobble off it becomes a wooly hat. Well it does where I was brung up. :-)
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #201
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I thought a bonnet was a hat worn by your car's engine
I remember the time my friend in New Zealand was telling about a kangaroo on her father's bonnet. I was quite confused on 1.why he was wearing a bonnet (hat) and 2.how did the kangaroo fit on top of his head.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #202
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why is it called a "beanie"? I can't see any connection between woolly hats and beans.
This is a beanie

Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #203
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, TM, I still don't see why it's called that. Apologies if I'm being dense. So it's more of a "skull cap" than a woolly hat?

This is the type of hat that's called a bobble hat in the UK:

Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #204
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It sits on your bean.
"That's using the old bean"
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #205
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Yes I'm from the UK, no idea why beanie, it's just the term I've heard friends/family use to refer to that kind of hat.

Just done a straw poll here, 1 never heard the term bobble hat, 2 others knew what it was but said they call it a pom-pom hat and thought bobble hat was a 60's term.

Either way, first time I've heard of it despite having seen people wearing them now and then (although mostly the non bobble variety)

Quote:
Sorry, TM, I still don't see why it's called that. Apologies if I'm being dense. So it's more of a "skull cap" than a woolly hat?
Look at the picture again and think "Mr Bean"

Afaik, beanie is what we'd call the bobble hat in your picture if you took a pair of scissors to the bobble and I've no idea why it's called a beanie either. I guess the confusion has come about though due to people I've met referring (perhaps incorrectly) to both types as a beanie whether it had the bobble or not, although in 99% of cases people just say "pass me my hat"

Last edited by JoeD; 03-28-2012 at 12:32 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #206
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Neither do I, but I accept that it is and leave it at that.

Tuque

Quote:
A tuque (Canadian English: /tuːk/, also spelled toque but still pronounced tuque), knit cap (American English), or beanie (UK English), also variously known as a knit hat, toboggan, burglar beanie or stocking cap among other names – is a knitted cap, originally of wool though now often of synthetic fibers, that is designed to provide warmth in winter. Most tuques are tapered; they sometimes have ear flaps, and may be topped with a pom-pom (this style of tuque is sometimes referred to as a bobble hat, boggan or sherpa). Tuques may have a folded brim, or none, and may be worn tightly fitting the head or loose on top although the latter is considered more standard.

Beanie (North America)

Quote:
A beanie or skully is a head-hugging brimless cap with or without a visor. The term beanie is also sometimes used to refer to a Jewish yarmulke.

In the United States of America, beanies are made by triangular sections of cloth joined by a button at the crown and seamed together around the sides. They can also be made from leather and silk. In other English-speaking countries, a beanie is a knitted cap often woollen, known in the United States and Canada as a Tuque.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I'm from the UK, no idea why beanie, it's just the term I've heard friends/family use to refer to that kind of hat.

Just done a straw poll here, 1 never heard the term bobble hat, 2 others knew what it was but said they call it a pom-pom hat and thought bobble hat was a 60's term.

Either way, first time I've heard of it despite having seen people wearing them now and then (although mostly the non bobble variety)
Yes, a pom-pom hat is another word for the same thing. Haven't heard that expression for years!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #208
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It sits on your bean.
"That's using the old bean"
It also sits on Mr Bean
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #209
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, TM - that's very helpful. Never heard the word "Tuque" before! MR is so informative .
Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #210
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

English - such a diverse language.