Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is Amazon Going After Mobile Space?

I found this article interesting. Especially the idea that Amazon might be working on a tablet...with an Android platform and a Kindle brand.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...bile-space/201

L.J.
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 06:58 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Interesting, but I'm getting tired of being locked into Apple's system already, no need to add another company just like Apple. I'll pass on jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'd love an Android based Amazon Tablet, preferably with a 10" Mirasol screen.

When the iPad came out all the pundits were talking about it being the Kindle Killer, but maybe it will be Amazon that unleashes the iPad killer.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'd love an Android based Amazon Tablet, preferably with a 10" Mirasol screen.

When the iPad came out all the pundits were talking about it being the Kindle Killer, but maybe it will be Amazon that unleashes the iPad killer.
Personally, I feel both companies are firmly in their markets. I don't see either of them being "killed off."
Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
To be honest, I don't either.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sounds like a bunch of pointless speculation.

Speaking of which: Amazon has no real need to build its own tablet. It gives them absolutely no advantage over just putting out their own apps for the various mobile platforms. It would also potentially dilute the Kindle brand, which is already a powerhouse name.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Amazon sells a lot of CDs, MP3s, and DVDs, but I don't think that they need to come out with their own CD player, MP3 player, or DVD player. Much better to simply have apps for all of the new tablets that come out; that's a business that they know.

The Kindle was necessary because there were no readers that could play Amazon's books, and the existing e-book market was both tiny and fragmented.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- Yes, Amazon could use a *multimedia* tablet device as a flagship vehicle for their media content much as Kindle is a flagship for their reading apps and ebookstore.

2- No, I would *not* expect that device, if they choose to launch it, to bear the Kindle name. Amazon understands brand power quite well (hence the Kindle branding on their readers and apps) so it is unlikely they'll tie their reader's brand to a media or webpad product.

3- It may be that they, correctly, expect that online sales of software will start to eat into the boxed-software sales part of their business and want to get their foot in the door. Since the app store is *not* explicitly limited to Android apps, I expect they intend to host third-party PC apps (much as Steam does) and might seek deals for the upcoming Maemo, WebOS, and Blackberry platforms.

In other words; just because they're getting into Android App sales does not mean they're buying into the android hardware business nor that they will be limiting themselves to Android apps alone.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Personally, I feel both companies are firmly in their markets. I don't see either of them being "killed off."
That is pretty much how I see it, especially this early in the ebook/ereader game. Now in 5 or more years, it may get reduced to 2 main readers with a few cheap Chinese imitations and one main open source or mainstream file type taking the lead, but for now enjoy all the options.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I would not be surprised to see a Kindle branded tablet myself. So many people seem to expect the Kindle to be a mini-iPad, so I don't think it will hurt the branding.

As the article says, they pretty much already sell everything you could use on a Tablet. So why not sell the actual Tablet, too? The mark up on the iPad is crazy.

Anyway, I have to disagree about the Amazon needing a desktop client (like iTunes). Just keep everything manageable on their own website and have it sent to the tablet automatically (like the Kindle). Having to deal with clients is terrible.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Anyway, I have to disagree about the Amazon needing a desktop client (like iTunes). Just keep everything manageable on their own website and have it sent to the tablet automatically (like the Kindle). Having to deal with clients is terrible.
Indeed.
That is *the* key selling point of Kindle; it is a standalone device (or app) that is both reader and storefront. No PC needed for anything.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I 100% agree that Amazon doesn’t need a desktop client like iTunes. iTunes has turned into a bloated piece of crap that I abhor using. It takes forever to load now, it’s always sending info back to Apple on my use habits, and it has tons of crap that I don't need. I hardly ever sync my phone now (maybe once every 6 months or so) and I never use iTunes unless I absolutely have to. Amazon doesn't need to start repeating Apple's mistakes (though it seems to want to with the Kindle battery and lack of SD card).

I hope they wouldn't make a "Kindle branded tablet" and instead just a tablet. I like having dedicated reading devices but it seems that the market wants to create the "all-in-one" for everything.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personaly I am all for the competition. More companies in the market the better it is for us the customers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, android, kindle, tablet