Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
P-Book Swapping Sites?

I'm curious if anyone here has tried any of the online book swapping services? If you're not familiar with it the idea is that for a small fee you receive a copy of a book from another trader in the group and you offer up your own books for trade. Some sites seem to offer incentives if share your own books.

Since I still read and purchase a lot of paper back fiction this seems like a great way to get copies of books off my shelf and into the hands of another reader. Likewise I'd be able to get books cheaper than from a book store.

Does anyone have experience with any of these groups?

The popular ones (from my quick googling) seem to be:

http://www.bookins.com
http://www.frugalreader.com
http://www.titletrader.com

Thanks and take care.
-Jason
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Yeah, I read about this in Wired magazine last month; though I haven't actually checked out any of the sites. Beats the heck out of looking for a scarce book in the local PB exchange shop. I think you only pay if you're purchasing the book, that's the idea I got from the short article.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
Another one that got a lot of press in the past was http://www.bookmooch.com/
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
I'm using SwapTree.com. It allows you to swap among books, DVDs, CDs and games. Working very well for me. Much better than selling old books to a used book store or games to a game store where you tend to get a pittance. At least this way your 4 year old item is worth as much to me as my 4 year old item is to you!!

There's Lala.com for CDs too.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
www.paperbackswap.com

Post 11 books and you get credits. Everyone gets a wishlist. You can search for books that you want and either order it or put it on your wishlist, at which point, the site will contact you when the book is available and it's down the list to your name.

The only fees are shipping (you pay the shipping on everything you mail out - but so does everyone else), and for some of the extra services - like if you want to generate mailing wrappers with delivery confirmation.

I've been a member since last June, and it keeps track of statistics such as how many books you've got posted, read, etc. It also keeps track of how much you've saved by using the site instead of buying new.

Finally, there's a huge community of users and forums on the site.

I highly recommend this site. Warning, though... It's addictive.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
ericastillwell
ericastillwell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
paperbackswap.com

I second the vote for paperbackswap.com. I just started with it two weeks ago and have already received "credits" for books I shipped out (and ordered a few, but they haven't got here yet).

It's really easy to use and the selection is pretty good.

-Erica
ericastillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. PaperBackSwap definitely looks good. I like the idea of printing your own wrapper with calculated postage. I'll have to dig the boxes of books out of storage and give this a shot. I'll come back and update with my experience.

Thanks again.
Jason
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote