Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
csskkai
Enthusiast
csskkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Unhappy There are bars on my screen that I can't get rid of

I'm in need of some help.
I don't know quite how to describe my problem so here are some pictures.

It originally happened on a regular page of a book. When I turned to page to try to get rid of it, it didn't go away, so I tried to restart the reader. Now it is STUCK on the starting up image. The picture I uploaded is what it's stuck on.
I can't do anything to it! I tried the little button on the back and it won't reset. I tried to restart it but it doesn't do anything. Sometimes the button next to the on/off switch flashes yellow.
I connected it to the computer with the usb cord to try to charge it, but I'm not sure if anything is happening.

Can anybody please help me figure out what to do next?
This is so depressing I love my reader and now it's dying.
csskkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Try charging it completely.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by csskkai View Post
I'm in need of some help.
I don't know quite how to describe my problem so here are some pictures.

It originally happened on a regular page of a book. When I turned to page to try to get rid of it, it didn't go away, so I tried to restart the reader. Now it is STUCK on the starting up image. The picture I uploaded is what it's stuck on.
I can't do anything to it! I tried the little button on the back and it won't reset. I tried to restart it but it doesn't do anything. Sometimes the button next to the on/off switch flashes yellow.
I connected it to the computer with the usb cord to try to charge it, but I'm not sure if anything is happening.

Can anybody please help me figure out what to do next?
This is so depressing I love my reader and now it's dying.
If your problem are the "bars":
It looks like ghosting. Meaning the (partial) "imprint" of a page you've read before.
Theoretically, this should disappear when turning pages.
Obviously, it didn't...
I'd try, quickly "thumbing" through a book with a few very dark pages/graphics. Those graphics should "overshade" the "imprint" and it should be gone.

If your problem is that the reader won't start anymore:
The usual: Charging the battery completely, resetting the reader (in the worst case, hard reset, which deletes all the content).

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-24-2009 at 02:40 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
csskkai
Enthusiast

I got it to charge. But now the problem is the screen! Is there any way I can fix it? No matter what page I go on, it's still there. It looks like it is sitting ON TOP of the bottom, main screen.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
If it's fully charged, then it looks like a broken substrate or display controller.

Usually it's pretty obvious which (display controller is all lines and 45 degree angles. Broken subtrate looks cracked with curves etc etc).

In this case however while you have the lines and angles across most of the screen that smudgy bit in "continue reading" on the top left of the screen looks more like a substrate issue.

Oddly I have seen very similar on my 505, luckily in my case it was just a charging issue.

I assume you've tried a hard reset with the button on the back _since_ you've charged it?

Last edited by Riocaz; 09-24-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think it's a broken screen controller.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Do you know if it was dropped? I've seen that on a few broken screens from being dropped but I'm not sure of what was broken in the process.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
csskkai
Enthusiast

No, I did not drop it. Nothing heavy has been on top of it either. I take really good care of my reader because I love it.
But not it's dead! (Hoping to salvage it though)

I haven't been able to hard reset it. Even when fully charged, it just keeps freezing.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You've ruled out most things.

The screen controller can break from slightly twisting the device. Or it could have been a lemon.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by csskkai View Post
No, I did not drop it. Nothing heavy has been on top of it either. I take really good care of my reader because I love it.
Actually, I wasn't thinking you dropped it, because you would've mentioned it. I was wondering if someone may have been over your place, started playing with it and dropped it? Maybe a nephew or niece? It sounds like something I would've done when I was a kid. I was notorious for being curious to the point of breaking stuff.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would agree with the previous posters that this looks very like a broken screen substrate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
As a semi side bar, I've begun to see ghost imprinting on the screen of my 700 prior to turning it on; once I turn it on I guess I just don't notice it. I don't recall if I had the same issue with my 505 or not.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would agree with the previous posters that this looks very like a broken screen substrate.
as someone who has broken a sony prs, this is exactly what it is

your screen is broken.

call sony support, don't say it was your fault, just say it stopped working,

and they will most likely charge you only $29 to fix it. ($99 if they determine it was your fault)

Buy a M-edge case for your replacement! its much more sturdy that the crappy one it comes with.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen, screen