Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Appreciate the chance to beta test.

FWIW Calibre portable is working for me.

I tried out the new content server. A few comments, some of these may just be things you haven't got to yet. Some probably user error.

It gives me the option to choose between the two libraries the normal UI knows about. However whichever one I choose I get the same library - which is the first one, known as "Calibre Library".

Book cover view is nice but a list view would be good too.

Took me a while to figure out that I needed to right-click to get preferences for the book viewer. This can be tricky on Chrome on my phone, but I figured out that if you 'click' near the top of the screen it usually brings it up.

First book I tried failed to open but that may be a dodgy epub. I've tried a couple of different books since, one epub, one azw3, and they were fine.

Navigation in the desktop browser was OK - though sometimes I needed to click on the webpage itself before it responded to keypresses. On the phone it was a bit hit or miss. I wasn't sure if it was best to swipe, or tap or what.

Also one time it managed to get itself into a state where it quickly scrolled through a lot of the book and then got stuck. But that's only happened once.

The Bookmarks option in the browser options doesn't do anything yet, correct?

I haven't tried out the users.

At home I've got a script I use to add books and populate custom columns with initial values. It uses calibredb a lot - so I'll try that when I get back.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@latepaul You tap in the top third of the screen for preferences and you swipe left or right or tap the right 2/3rd or left 1/3rd to turn pages. I should probably add a help screen that shows up the first couple of times you use the viewer that explains that.

There is a list view as well see the screenshots in my first post. You can choose it by clicking the three dots in the top right corner of the screen. The new server is designed so that adding more views is very easy, so in the future more can be added.

Bookmarks is not yet implemented.

If you can send me the book that failed to open, I'd like to take a look at it.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-10-2017 at 07:02 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #18
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is a list view as well see the screenshots in my first post. You can choose it by clicking the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
If I do this I get a 'menu' with two options, "Book List Mode" and "A random book". Clicking Book list mode seems to have no effect. The random book link works though.

I'll send you the book shortly.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Hmm if it is using CPU then it's likely not a permanent hang. Can one of you use Process Monitor and see what it says about what the process is doing?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ssmonitor.aspx
I see a lot of create and readfiles (some with name not found, some with success)

but at the end it says 5 times Thread Exit and then nothing more but the CPU keeps at around 40%.

(process name Calibre.exe)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding calibre portable -- i must say I am at a loss. I cant imagine what could cause only calibre portable and not normal calibre to hang -- calibre portable is not that different from normal calibre (its just a couple of environment variables that control where to look for config files and libraries).

Hopefully something will turn up -- either a brainwave or some common factor that identifies the problem as more people reproduce it.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
If I do this I get a 'menu' with two options, "Book List Mode" and "A random book". Clicking Book list mode seems to have no effect.
Works for me -- what browser are you using?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@latepaul -- one thing I have noticed, and I haven;t been able to track down the cause of -- is that if you click very close to the edges of the list items the click is sometimes not registered, especially on firefox
Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I think I have a fix for the clicks on the edges thing, will be in the next beta release: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c287458712bfa8
Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Regarding calibre portable -- i must say I am at a loss. I cant imagine what could cause only calibre portable and not normal calibre to hang -- calibre portable is not that different from normal calibre (its just a couple of environment variables that control where to look for config files and libraries).

Hopefully something will turn up -- either a brainwave or some common factor that identifies the problem as more people reproduce it.
I decided to do a comparison between calibre-portable.exe and calibre.exe

Some notable differences:

calibre-portable.exe:
Code:
;	CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Users\sweet\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings
;	CALIBRE_PORTABLE_BUILD=C:\Users\sweet\Calibre Portable\Calibre\calibre.exe
;	CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

calibre.exe:
Code:
;	CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
(and a little later:
Code:
;	ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)
Code:
;	ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files

My path is different as well:
Code:
;	Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Users\sweet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;
Code:
;	Path=C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Users\sweet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;
Or this one:
Code:
;	PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
;	PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432=AMD64
Code:
;	PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64

Calibre-portal also has these lines (right at the start)

Code:
"12:26:32,5144147","calibre.exe","10420","CreateFile","C:\Windows\Prefetch\CALIBRE.EXE-B7D15B59.pf","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: None, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened"
"12:26:32,5147667","calibre.exe","10420","QueryStandardInformationFile","C:\Windows\Prefetch\CALIBRE.EXE-B7D15B59.pf","SUCCESS","AllocationSize: 49.152, EndOfFile: 48.575, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False"
"12:26:32,5149231","calibre.exe","10420","ReadFile","C:\Windows\Prefetch\CALIBRE.EXE-B7D15B59.pf","SUCCESS","Offset: 0, Length: 48.575, Priority: Normal"
"12:26:32,5172315","calibre.exe","10420","CloseFile","C:\Windows\Prefetch\CALIBRE.EXE-B7D15B59.pf","SUCCESS",""

Last edited by Sweetpea; 05-10-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Kovid: Is there anything different that needs to be done to run from source? I installed the beta, updated the source, but my usual method of starting calibre from source gives me 2.84.

And in case it was an option:

Code:
C:\Users\davidfor>calibre-debug -?
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  'ANSIStream' object has no attribute 'default_console_text_attributes' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site.py", line 101, in main
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site.py", line 78, in run_entry_point
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 250, in main
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\optparse.py", line 1402, in parse_args
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\utils\config.py", line 128, in error
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\optparse.py", line 1583, in error
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\utils\config.py", line 113, in print_usage
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\optparse.py", line 1603, in print_usage
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\utils\terminal.py", line 239, in write
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\utils\terminal.py", line 254, in write_and_convert
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\utils\terminal.py", line 274, in convert_ansi
  File "C:/t/t/frozen-gibt6c/winfrozen/app/Lib\site-packages\calibre\utils\terminal.py", line 302, in call_win32
AttributeError: 'ANSIStream' object has no attribute 'default_console_text_attributes'
Running calibredb with no options does the same thing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #26
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
Works for me -- what browser are you using?
Chrome 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit). Just tried it in Edge 25.10586.672.0 and same behaviour there.

I've sent you a PM with a link to the problem ebook.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Chrome 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit). Just tried it in Edge 25.10586.672.0 and same behaviour there.
Doesn't work for me either in Firefox 53.0.2. It registers the click, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

And like someone else mentioned, choosing a library doesn't work for me either. It gives you the default library in all cases.

Clicking on 'Sort books By...' doesn't seem to do anything either, nor does changing the sort direction. It stays in Date Added from most recent to older.

This is with the 64-bit beta.

Last edited by mbovenka; 05-10-2017 at 10:05 AM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@davidfor: You need to check out the vs2015 branch not master.

git checkout vs2015

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-10-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The click not registering problem should be fixed by the commit I linked to earlier.

As for not being able to choose a library, what is the full URL after you click on the different buttons (in particular I need the part after the #)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #30
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
The click not registering problem should be fixed by the commit I linked to earlier.

As for not being able to choose a library, what is the full URL after you click on the different buttons (in particular I need the part after the #)
For the default library ('Calibre Library'): http://localhost:8080/#panel=book_list

For my other library: http://localhost:8080/#panel=book_list

The same.

'Sort books By' works, by the way. No idea why it didn't seem to at first.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote