Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Nicolafred
Nicolafred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura - Sort by Series on device

Hello,
I got my Kobo Aura yesterday for my birthday and so far so good. I have transferred my books onto a microSD card in the kobo and I have all the books using the series custom column that I set up in Calibre.

However, on the device the books do not appear in series order and I have a feeling im not doing something correct in Calibre for this to happen.

My books appear as below when I order by Title or Author - I just cant get them into a series order.

My plugboards source template is
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

Any help would be very appreciated
Nicola
Nicolafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you use the kobo utilities plugin it will do this. khttps://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339
You have to connect the reader twice to get the series info but it will AFAIK set it up as sorting all the shelves by series using the date added.

Works for me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Nicolafred

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you use the kobo utilities plugin it will do this. khttps://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339
You have to connect the reader twice to get the series info but it will AFAIK set it up as sorting all the shelves by series using the date added.

Works for me.

Helen
My series are not named the same as the shelves, I don't want to do this. I would like to organise several series on the same shelf... Ie James Patterson I have 2 series. Young adult shelf has 30+ series. Is there any resolution?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm afraid that the only solution is changing the title before sending to the device so they would be:
* Maximum Ride 01 - The Angel Experiment
* Alex Cross 01 - Along Came a Spider

There's a thread explaining it but I don't remember
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Nicolafred: As Helen said, at the moment, the only way to achieve what you want is using plugboards. Your first post says you are using one, but the titles in the screenshot do not agree with this. Where these books sent to the device before creating the plugboard? If so, you will need to delete them from the device and send them again. This is the only way to get the titles updated with the plugboard.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Terisa de morgan said it

But you could also use a plugboard to append the series to the end of the authors

Then if you sort by author yours shelves would be sorted by author - series

Helen
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Terisa de morgan said it
Sorry Terisa.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

@Nicolafred

Your plugboard does not appear to be working according to your picture.

Do you have
format - epub (or any format)
Device - KOBOTOUCH
Destination - title

Helen
Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
But you could also use a plugboard to append the series to the end of the authors

Then if you sort by author yours shelves would be sorted by author - series
This has always been my preferred Plugboard. Adding the Series to the Author line allows for a cleaner sort by author, grouping all series together in order and all stand alone titles together for each author.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Nicolafred

Quote:
@Nicolafred

Your plugboard does not appear to be working according to your picture.

Do you have
format - epub (or any format)
Device - KOBOTOUCH
Destination - title

Helen
Yes, all my books are ePub, device and destination match. I'm sending to microSD and not the device, which is brand new. Hmmm... Now I'm really confused.

May have to re-think this as I really didn't want to re-title my books, but if you say this is the only way (how silly and frustrating) then maybe I'll figure out why my plugboard isn't working...

Thanks for all the help everyone so far.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolafred View Post
Yes, all my books are ePub, device and destination match. I'm sending to microSD and not the device, which is brand new. Hmmm... Now I'm really confused.
Helen didn't ask if your books are epub, but if your plugboard is setup according to the guidelines she wrote out.

How are you xferring the books to the microSD? You need to use calibre's GUI, either Send to device or Connect to folder.

Also Helen and I both modify the author field and leave the title alone.

Good luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:

May have to re-think this as I really didn't want to re-title my books, but if you say this is the only way (how silly and frustrating) then maybe I'll figure out why my plugboard isn't working...

Thanks for all the help everyone so far.
You do have to retitle your books or re-author them etc. in the metadata sent by the plugboard for it to work.

I too want my titles to look as they are without a series prefix. So I use a plugboard to put the series info at the end of the author. But then you have to set the sort by author and Kobo doesn't make this easy. Must be done for each shelf and pretty much a Kobo thing exclusively in it's PITA aspect.

You might consider trying the kobo utilities sorting as it takes minutes to do and undo. You put series in your device plugin. Then run the Kobo utilities set series info. No resending needed and if you hate it you just have to take series out of plugin.

Helen
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The device needs to match the driver you are using. "KOBOTOUCH" is correct for the driver included in calibre, but if you use the extended driver, you need to select that. Or use the all devices iption
Quote:
At the moment, that is the only way. Until Kobo add a sort option that makes use of the series info, we have to make do with this. But, to the best of my knowledge, it is the same on all other devices. And I don't know another that even displays the series info separately.

I had a think about how to achieve this using shelves and the method I use for series shelves. That fiddles with the timestamp when the book was added to the shelf to put the books into series order. A similar method could be used for author shelves or more general shelves. The hardest part will probably be the interface. It will probably be a week or so before I do anything.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a think about how to achieve this using shelves and the method I use for series shelves. That fiddles with the timestamp when the book was added to the shelf to put the books into series order. A similar method could be used for author shelves or more general shelves. The hardest part will probably be the interface. It will probably be a week or so before I do anything.
It will be great, David. As it is now, any time you update the utilities I modify the plugin to adapt it to my way to store series (S: + Series)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It will be great, David. As it is now, any time you update the utilities I modify the plugin to adapt it to my way to store series (S: + Series)
Your changing the series shelf ordering? If so, what are you changing? If it makes sense for others, I might be able to add it as an option.