Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook2, Kobo glo, Kobo mini, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Word can leave in code that can do things like prevent changing the font, prevent night mode, prevent font size changing and other issues. Also, if you have to edit the code, it's not all that neat and is not as easy to do for some as it should be. take a Word document of some size, export it as HTML filtered and see what you get. You will see what I mean.
I do not know whether it is correct that you mean MS Word protection mechanism makes us helpless to Word document code?

Actually, the Word protection mechanism has nothing to do with creating EPUB documents. EpubSTAR can properly recognize and extract information in the Word document, and generate eBook documents following the EPUB specification. The font, paragraph format of Epub documents controlled by the EPUB specification, and reading mode controlled by the EPUB reading software. These all have nothing to do with MS Word. As simple as that.

In addition, I want to clarify that EpubSTAR is not using the HTML export feature of Word to build epub code. This exported HTML documents do not conform to the EPUB specification. It contains a bunch of "mess" as you say, or "redundant code" which I call.
oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Does ePubStar actually remove the mess left in by Word?
Well, thank you, I understand.

EpubSTAR can handle "mess". This means that EpubSTAR can handle some common control characters of MS Word, and these control characters will make the EPUB is not through EPUB normative validation.

However, MS Word is a complex hodgepodge, EpubSTAR can't give out all the "mess" solution. Some of the known "mess" is: a text box, picture-text box, and the float property of pictures. These "mess" will be gradually resolved in the development of later.

Currently EpubSTAR the "mess" handling mechanisms are: conversion of common "mess", ignore the rare "mess", generate normative and concise EPUB eBook documents.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Thanks for that. I have downloaded it and had a quick look.

Avast checked it the first time I ran it and it did not find any malware or viruses. After reading your help file it seems fairly straigtforward to use and 'Advasnced Mode' it seems to cover most jobs you are likely to do .

I was unable to try it out myself as it appears use parts of to be lMSWord t provide some functionality and I have not got Word installed at the moment.

From what I could see it looks to be a useful addition to the collection os ePub creation software available but a full evaluation by me will have to wait until I have the time, which will not be soon.
Hmmm. You seem to be particularly concerned about the WORD to EPUB capabilities of EpubSTAR. This feature does require MS Word installed previously.

In fact, EpubSTAR has also an other feature: TEXT to EPUB. This feature can be used produce EPUB eBooks txt document. This is also a very interesting feature, very efficient, very fast, customized with great potential.

Thank you for your advise. I expect you to complete the assessment.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does ePubStar work with Word 2003? If so, I'll give it a go and see how it works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Does ePubStar work with Word 2003? If so, I'll give it a go and see how it works.
Yes. EpubSTAR support MS WORD 2003,2007,2010 and later.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxen View Post
Yes. EpubSTAR support MS WORD 2003,2007,2010 and later.
I'll give it a try sometime next week when I have the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
FunkeXMix
Enthusiast
FunkeXMix began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I get a .net Framework (4.0) error when I try to use the application.

"Value cannot be null."

Im running it on Windows 7 64 in Windows XP Sp3 compatibility mode and admin rights. If I choose to continue regardless of the error, all menu text is blank.

Anybody know what the issue is?
FunkeXMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Same on Win8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeXMix View Post

"Value cannot be null."

Im running it on Windows 7 64 in Windows XP Sp3 compatibility mode and admin rights. If I choose to continue regardless of the error, all menu text is blank.

I get the same on Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit. I sent the details to oxen in a private message.

tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeXMix View Post

"Value cannot be null."

Ah, it's a 32bit app. If your system is 64bit, you can run it in compatibility mode.

readme.txt____________________

6.3 Win7/64-bit system environment to run: because this is a 32-bit application, 64-bit systems should run in compatibility mode. Operation:

1) Right-click the EpubSTAR program shortcut, open the Properties dialog box, click the "compatibility" tab.

2) Check "Run this program in compatibility mode", select Windows XP (SP2) or (SP3).

3) Check "Run this program as an administrator".

4) Determines the run.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Since not so many westerners are fluent in Chinese,
I would nominate this as understatement of the month!
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #26
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxen View Post
Ah, it's a 32bit app. If your system is 64bit, you can run it in compatibility mode.

readme.txt____________________

6.3 Win7/64-bit system environment to run: because this is a 32-bit application, 64-bit systems should run in compatibility mode. Operation:

1) Right-click the EpubSTAR program shortcut, open the Properties dialog box, click the "compatibility" tab.

2) Check "Run this program in compatibility mode", select Windows XP (SP2) or (SP3).

3) Check "Run this program as an administrator".

4) Determines the run.

Tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
A new application in this day and age for which you need to set the compatibility mode? That is a no-no from me.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
A new application in this day and age for which you need to set the compatibility mode? That is a no-no from me.
It should be a no no. Gobs of 32 bit applications run just fine without administrator mode on a 64 bit machine like mine. Understandable if it were a system utility or something, but a converter from one text format to another, ridiculous.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #29
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
It should be a no no. Gobs of 32 bit applications run just fine without administrator mode on a 64 bit machine like mine. Understandable if it were a system utility or something, but a converter from one text format to another, ridiculous.
New Ver. 2.5.6
Supporting the x86/x64 system.
Updated: 2012-10-26
Download: EpubSTAR2_5_6.rar(1.49 MB)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
oxen
Connoisseur

New Ver. 2.5.7
Supporting the x86/x64 system.
Updated: 2012-11-05
Download: EpubSTAR2_5_7.rar(1.49 MB)

Tags
epub app, epub application, epubstar, kf8/mobi, mobi