Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #256
flashwei
flashwei began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
usbNetwork

Does anyone get usbnetwork hack worked on kindle2 with 3.x software? I succeeded to install screensaver and fonts hacks. But after installing the usbnetwork hack, I typed

;debugOn
~usbnetwork

My Linux (ubuntu 11.04) cannot detect any usb Ethernet Device network adapter. I was installing usbnetwork-0.33.N by NiLuJe.

Thanks!
flashwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #257
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashwei View Post
Does anyone get usbnetwork hack worked on kindle2 with 3.x software? I succeeded to install screensaver and fonts hacks. But after installing the usbnetwork hack, I typed

;debugOn
~usbnetwork

My Linux (ubuntu 11.04) cannot detect any usb Ethernet Device network adapter. I was installing usbnetwork-0.33.N by NiLuJe.

Thanks!
I heard usbnetwork doesn't work with the premade image floating around, because a file (/use/sbin/usbnetwork) was missing.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #258
flashwei
flashwei began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I heard usbnetwork doesn't work with the premade image floating around, because a file (/use/sbin/usbnetwork) was missing.
Thanks yifanlu. I tried installing and uninstalling the hack for several times and my machine never detect usb adapter after I ran ~usbnetwork command. However, it worked when I renamed the file "DISABLE_auto" to "auto" !!!
flashwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #259
peod
peod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG International
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfinkelstein View Post
It's not the same on 2.5.8: the battery with 3G-on lasts as-advertised, which is about a week or so. 3.2.1 is what really kicks it.
I've read that the battery drains when the kindle needs to re-index your books. Is the battery drain still a problem?

Also, do you get ads on it? Have you hade any crashes? / thanks
peod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #260
danfinkelstein
Kindle User
danfinkelstein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by peod View Post
I've read that the battery drains when the kindle needs to re-index your books. Is the battery drain still a problem?

Also, do you get ads on it? Have you hade any crashes? / thanks
I don't get ads on my DXG with the 3.2.1 image. Battery drain when the wireless is on doesn't appear to be an issue anymore until the rebooting problem begins: I've watched the battery drain while I've been actively reading and it's minimal. However, if I leave the wireless on and put the device to sleep it will eventually begin a reboot cycle that drains the battery. I don't know how soon after sleep it begins this cycle since, thus far, I've only witnessed it once during the day and once at night but if I leave the wireless on, put it to sleep, and then put myself to sleep, the device will be totally drained by morning.

Last edited by danfinkelstein; 06-23-2011 at 11:12 PM.
danfinkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #261
maylin
maylin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, nookcolor
incomplete part1, I think.

Yifan, First, thank you for making the upgrade to kindle 2 available!

I am on part I, preparing my Kindle 2 US. After kindle running the update and kindle rebooted after about only 15 minutes or so and the output folder has total of 3 files in it. I am not sure if the preparation step has been completed? I do not see a tts-files.tar file nor a update_restore-os.bin.
I did have 1.2gb of free space before I ran the update. Also I had installed Doukan system a month ago.

Here are the 3 files in ouput folder -
1. make-backup.log
ota_install: I def:make-backup::checking for enough free space to continue
ota_install: E def:make-backup::not enough free space to create a backup package. You need at least 900MB to continue.
system: I 1-make-backup.ffs:def:drawing: eips 19 38 "You need 450MB of free space."
2. make-image.log
ota_install: I def:make-image::checking for enough free space to continue
system: I 0-make-image.ffs:def:drawing: eips 30 38 "Verifying files..."
ota_install: I def:make-image::making sure all required files exist
ota_install: I def:make-image::making sure all required files are valid
ota_install: I def:make-image::making rootfs image, this may take up to 20 minutes
system: I 0-make-image.ffs:def:drawing: eips 31 38 "Creating image..."
3. rootfs.img (401mb)

Do I really have a free space issue as the the log stated?

Thanks a lot for your help!

maylin
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #262
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylin View Post
Yifan, First, thank you for making the upgrade to kindle 2 available!

I am on part I, preparing my Kindle 2 US. After kindle running the update and kindle rebooted after about only 15 minutes or so and the output folder has total of 3 files in it. I am not sure if the preparation step has been completed? I do not see a tts-files.tar file nor a update_restore-os.bin.
I did have 1.2gb of free space before I ran the update. Also I had installed Doukan system a month ago.

Here are the 3 files in ouput folder -
1. make-backup.log
ota_install: I def:make-backup::checking for enough free space to continue
ota_install: E def:make-backup::not enough free space to create a backup package. You need at least 900MB to continue.
system: I 1-make-backup.ffs:def:drawing: eips 19 38 "You need 450MB of free space."
2. make-image.log
ota_install: I def:make-image::checking for enough free space to continue
system: I 0-make-image.ffs:def:drawing: eips 30 38 "Verifying files..."
ota_install: I def:make-image::making sure all required files exist
ota_install: I def:make-image::making sure all required files are valid
ota_install: I def:make-image::making rootfs image, this may take up to 20 minutes
system: I 0-make-image.ffs:def:drawing: eips 31 38 "Creating image..."
3. rootfs.img (401mb)

Do I really have a free space issue as the the log stated?

Thanks a lot for your help!

maylin
Yes, I'm afraid. Even though it says 900mb, that's after making the rootfs.img.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #263
maylin
maylin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, nookcolor
how can I make space available for client?

Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid. Even though it says 900mb, that's after making the rootfs.img.
May I get some guidance regarding how to make space available? Meaning, what file directories are safe to be moved out temporarily but can be restored later on?

Currently, my kindle partition has 247 mb used and 1.2gb free space.
There are three folders with more contents, they are
Document - 53mb
DK_system - 122mb
linkfonts - 67.5mb

Or is there a way to bypass making rootfs.img? As I now already have the rootfs.img file saved, what I need next is to backup my current system just in case.

Thanks to you for your help!

Sincerely,
maylin
maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #264
mb8312
mb8312 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, paperwhite, Sony T3
i got another Kindle dx graphite, and failed to boot, but I can boot into recovery, I copy update_restore-os.bin and tried to recover from it, but it failed and went to recovery menu again and again. then, I press alt+e (3) key to get '3' on keyboard, but no response, but i can press 'e' key to see the Kindle disk with documents, music directory..., i tried to recover it manually as last method in README.txt. I see kindle disk on pc with around 4gb, but not 2gb. and it is the disk with documents, it's not rootfs. anyway I tried what README.txt said, dd it and reboot but no luck. what should I do to see the rootfs ? does anyone has kindle dx graphite rootfs backup to share ? thank you.

Last edited by mb8312; 06-28-2011 at 01:50 AM.
mb8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #265
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb8312 View Post
i got another Kindle dx graphite, and failed to boot, but I can boot into recovery, I copy recovery bin to the root directory and tried to recovery from it, but it tail and went to recovery menu again. I press alt+e (3) key to get '3' on keyboard, but no response, but i can press 'e' key to see the Kindle disk with documents, music directory..., i tried to recover it manually as last method in README.txt. and I can see kindle on pc with around 4gb, but not 2gb. dd it and reboot but no luck. what should I do to see the rootfs ? does anyone has kindle dx graphite rootfs backup to share ? thank you.
Do you mean the "rootfs.img" file for kindle Dx? If so contact me via PM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #266
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylin View Post
May I get some guidance regarding how to make space available? Meaning, what file directories are safe to be moved out temporarily but can be restored later on?

Currently, my kindle partition has 247 mb used and 1.2gb free space.
There are three folders with more contents, they are
Document - 53mb
DK_system - 122mb
linkfonts - 67.5mb

Or is there a way to bypass making rootfs.img? As I now already have the rootfs.img file saved, what I need next is to backup my current system just in case.

Thanks to you for your help!

Sincerely,
maylin
I think the readme, under advanced or something talks about skipping backup. I can't remember if I left this feature in or not. If not, you can backup everything on your kindle to your PC and delete everything, then copy it back when you're done.
Quote:
i got another Kindle dx graphite, and failed to boot, but I can boot into recovery, I copy update_restore-os.bin and tried to recover from it, but it failed and went to recovery menu again and again. then, I press alt+e (3) key to get '3' on keyboard, but no response, but i can press 'e' key to see the Kindle disk with documents, music directory..., i tried to recover it manually as last method in README.txt. I see kindle disk on pc with around 4gb, but not 2gb. and it is the disk with documents, it's not rootfs. anyway I tried what README.txt said, dd it and reboot but no luck. what should I do to see the rootfs ? does anyone has kindle dx graphite rootfs backup to share ? thank you.
If you ran prepare-kindle before hand, you should have gotten a backup rootfs.img and a backup recovery package. If you didn't run it, you don't have my custom kernel and won't be able to access the recovery features.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #267
mb8312
mb8312 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, paperwhite, Sony T3
Quote:
If you ran prepare-kindle before hand, you should have gotten a backup rootfs.img and a backup recovery package. If you didn't run it, you don't have my custom kernel and won't be able to access the recovery features.
yes, I did but it fail in the process. but I got the rootfs mounted once, I compare it with one i saved before the process, it looks the same. so I reboot and tried to reset the kindle. after then, it stoped when booting. (I don't remember how to get into the rootfs with what combination of keys. 'e' 'alt-e' won't do that.
mb8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #268
bftanase
bftanase began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
@yifanlu

Many thanks for creating and releasing this tool! Got it working perfectly on DXG with the premade image floating on the internet.

The only noticeable speed difference is on start-up from sleep mode. It's slower on 3.1 but that's not a real issue. The new browser is awesome!

This is a definitive proof that Amazon has absolutely no technical reason for not upgrading the DX-es to latest versions. Shame on them!
bftanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #269
danfinkelstein
Kindle User
danfinkelstein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftanase View Post
The only noticeable speed difference is on start-up from sleep mode. It's slower on 3.1 but that's not a real issue. The new browser is awesome!
The ability to change contrast on PDFs is a lifesaver, for me. By the way, wakeup from sleep mode appears to be fine—for me—when wireless is on; when wireless is off and several seconds or minutes pass, then wakeup takes up to tens of seconds.
danfinkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #270
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
yes, I did but it fail in the process. but I got the rootfs mounted once, I compare it with one i saved before the process, it looks the same. so I reboot and tried to reset the kindle. after then, it stoped when booting. (I don't remember how to get into the rootfs with what combination of keys. 'e' 'alt-e' won't do that.
Can you post the logs found in the output folder of the kindle USB drive? If what you said is true, chances are your kindle is still in stock 2.5.