Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
janerol
janerol began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Pages compared to normal book

Hi Everyone,

just bought a sony reader PRS-300, can anyone explain why are ebooks shorter in number of pages than the regular book

Regards

John
janerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

I would have expected you to fine the ebook had more pages than a paper book. The number of pages in an ebook is not a fixed number, change the screen size the font size, the font used etc and the number of pages will be different.

Ignore the page numbers as they mean next to nothing for ebooks.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
I would have expected you to fine the ebook had more pages than a paper book. The number of pages in an ebook is not a fixed number, change the screen size the font size, the font used etc and the number of pages will be different.

Ignore the page numbers as they mean next to nothing for ebooks.
I thought PRS-300 was kind of based on Adobe's RMSDK. And for other readers based on that SDK the total page number is constant when changing font size or other things.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I thought PRS-300 was kind of based on Adobe's RMSDK. And for other readers based on that SDK the total page number is constant when changing font size or other things.
Yup. And I'm finding that the page count for ePubs can really vary depending on how the original book was printed. I have one ePub that has about the same number of pages as the trade paperback, and another which is about half the page count of the mass market paperback, and hardcover.

The page count for ePubs seems to be figured out based on how big the HTML files are. If you have more formatting in the ePub HTML itself (instead of CSS), it will have more pages than one with less inline formatting.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Which all makes the page numbers in ebooks just a random number plucked out of the air really.
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Just for an example...

The layout I find acceptable on the 300 gives me 24 lines of text at 9 words per line.
The same book in papeback give me 32 lines at 10 words per line.
Good enough fpor me
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
Which all makes the page numbers in ebooks just a random number plucked out of the air really.
Not really.
Total number of lines / lines per page = number of pages.
It's a good way to see, how far you've been reading.

Of course it can't be used for reference, since every reader (person as well as device) will get a different number depending on their preferences.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
spideog
Connoisseur

Agreed, it is useful for gauging how far through the book you are, but cannot be used for comparing to paper books, or even other ebooks, as to how long they may actually be in relation to each other.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Most of my ePub books are also shorter than the paper versions. I suspect it's just as simple as words per page differences. ePub books have a set number of pages that are spread out over multiple page turns on any given device. On my nook and PRS-505 it's usually 2-3 page turns per ePub page, depending on the font size I'm using. This way, page #3 is the same across all devices, which I find preferable to the old method, which paginated differently for each device and/or font size. I suspect the ePub versions have more text per page than their paper counterparts, so we wind up with slightly "shorter" versions on our Readers than on our bookshelves, even though the number of words is identical.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Of course it can't be used for reference, since every reader (person as well as device) will get a different number depending on their preferences.
This is actually exactly what Adobe's page count for ePub seeks to solve (as does the Kindle's location number).

As Adobe's page count for a particular ePub is the same on any device using the SDK, it /can/ be used as a reference as the page count is fixed as long as the ePub's content doesn't change.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 AM   #11
janerol
janerol began at the beginning.

Page Count thank you

Thanks everybody for your replies, really helpful

Regards

John
janerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just for reference, a "page" in an ePub book is a count of 1k (1024) bytes in the compressed file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I wish the PRS-600 firmware would give up on page numbers. There's the page count at the bottom of the screen, then those mildly annoying page numbers to the right of the text. I feel they're irrelevant to digital formats. I wish they'd replace them with a percentage of the file size, and even if they count the CSS towards the total, it'd be more meaningful to me than page numbers.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I wish the PRS-600 firmware would give up on page numbers. There's the page count at the bottom of the screen, then those mildly annoying page numbers to the right of the text. I feel they're irrelevant to digital formats. I wish they'd replace them with a percentage of the file size, and even if they count the CSS towards the total, it'd be more meaningful to me than page numbers.
A percentage of the files size is meaningless if you do not know the file size. And it is hard to jump to a specific percentage to get to a specific page.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
The text on the side is going away it looks like. Who knows if the 600 will get a firmware update, but the 900 doesn't use the page index numbers on the right side anymore, and leaves it simply to the page number on the bottom (which will also now say things like: 280-281 of 505, if the displayed page crosses a page boundary).

Page numbers tend to be fairly arbitrary already (because the size of the print page and the font used is), so I don't see anything wrong in continuing the tradition, especially since an ePub should show up with the same page count on multiple devices for the most part. It at least lets me cite an ePub (much like the Kindle locations) and have good expectations that someone trying to find the cited material won't go nuts trying to find the text.