Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Clara $100 at Walmart

I don't know why it's on sale now, but it is.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...bled/848940265
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know why it's on sale now, but it is.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...bled/848940265
It might be on sale for no other reason than class reasons. For instance, people who shop at Target do so because they can't afford Macy's kind of reasoning. Walmart is probably having a hard time getting rid of units. Reading , in America, has traditionally been a middle class thing not the typical Walmart shopper thing. I am living in a middle class neighborhood but I have been to Walmart before.

I used to buy Kobo's until they joined with Walmart which I think was a dumb move for demographic reasons.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-23-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
It might be on sale for no other reason than class reasons. For instance, people who shop at Target do so because they can't afford Macy's kind of reasoning. Walmart is probably having a hard time getting rid of units. Reading , in America, has traditionally been a middle class thing not the typical Walmart shopper thing. I am living in a middle class neighborhood but I have been to Walmart before.

I used to buy Kobo's until they joined with Walmart which I think was a dumb move for demographic reasons.

And being available through Walmart changed Kobos exactly how? Because you'd be embarrassed to say you got your eReader at Walmart?

Look, I don't like Walmart for its labor practices. But I would never, ever, clarify reading as a "middle class thing." It's overly hard on the monied classes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I think you're overthinking this. Walmart has sold out their Kobo Clara stock several times in the (not quite) a year since they've been carrying them. They go on sale, they go off sale. They run of stock, they get more stock in. I just didn't know what, specifically, triggered this particular sale at this time. Maybe an early "back to school" sale?

As for Walmart... they're another giant corporation, like Amazon. Like it or not, it's the reality in the United States now.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

And being available through Walmart changed Kobos exactly how? Because you'd be embarrassed to say you got your eReader at Walmart?

Look, I don't like Walmart for its labor practices. But I would never, ever, clarify reading as a "middle class thing." It's overly hard on the monied classes.
Well, I got the idea from two books I read . A book "Class ..." by a Harvard professor Paul Fussell and "The Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby.

Anyway, I am probably overthinking this. Especially, since they are ordered online instead of purchased in store.
Advert
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #6
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think you're overthinking this. Walmart has sold out their Kobo Clara stock several times in the (not quite) a year since they've been carrying them. They go on sale, they go off sale. They run of stock, they get more stock in. I just didn't know what, specifically, triggered this particular sale at this time. Maybe an early "back to school" sale?

As for Walmart... they're another giant corporation, like Amazon. Like it or not, it's the reality in the United States now.
Maybe, Kobo is gearing up to release a new 6 inch model and Walmart is trying to get rid of them. Anyway, it is probably not important to speculate on why they are doing it, unless you think they are pushing shoddy models, then to just be glad they are doing it.

Anyway, I don't see why teaming up with BestBuy rather than Walmart would have been a bad idea even though Walmart is a bigger corporation.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Anyway, I don't see why teaming up with BestBuy rather than Walmart would have been a bad idea even though Walmart is a bigger corporation.
Kobo was just part of the Walmart/Rakuten deal.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Local Walmart isn't putting any effort into selling them. There was no display and the sales people didn't even know they existed. You can find them if you look hard enough but there is absolutely no chance anyone would make an impulse buy.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Has anyone investigated if the Kobo Clara for sale at Walmart is the same (features and quality) as a Clara sold elsewhere? Walmart is well known for pushing their suppliers to lower the features/quality of their offerings for Walmart to sell at lower prices. I've found on at least one occasion that the "same" thing purchased at Walmart vs. as a different store is lower quality at Walmart. Specifically, I can comment on Hanes brand T-shirts. Thin and pitiful when purchased at Walmart, much better if purchased elsewhere. The stories of Snapper mowers and Levi jeans vs. Walmart are well known and documented.

https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/ma...id-no-wal-mart

Sooo, ... is the Kobo from Walmart the same as the Kobo from a different retailer? I don't know. But it's certainly worth investigating before purchasing just because it is cheap at Walmart.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Sooo, ... is the Kobo from Walmart the same as the Kobo from a different retailer? I don't know. But it's certainly worth investigating before purchasing just because it is cheap at Walmart.
I would never have even thought of that as an issue. It might be difficult to prove unless someone has 2 Claras: 1 from Walmart and 1 from another retailer.

What I can say is that I purchased my Kobo Clara via Walmart. All the branding on the packaging (box and the printed info) and the device is for Rakuten Kobo. On the device itself, the copyright/legal info is all attributed to Rakuten Kobo. The only place where Walmart comes up is on a splash screen during startup because the bookstore is affiliated with the device. And the specs are the same, so no reason for me to think that Walmart is anything but a reseller.

ETA: I bought my Clara a couple of weeks before the sale, but I was able to get a price match. This made me extra glad that I bought it.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Local Walmart isn't putting any effort into selling them. There was no display and the sales people didn't even know they existed. You can find them if you look hard enough but there is absolutely no chance anyone would make an impulse buy.
I know. When I read the instructions for the original displays (left lying in the store) there was something about Kobos being expanded into the main floor plan this past April. But none of that seems to have happened. They've hired some contractor to renew the displays once a week and their effort seems less than minimal. The display models I've seen are either broken, or were never set up. It looks like they're happy to sell online. Not exactly the threat to Amazon they touted when this alliance was announced.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-25-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #12
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I have wondered the same thing because I have read articles about Walmart requiring manufacturers to lower their prices by leaving out normally included accessory items. Specifically, I have wondered whether the Kobos with light bleed issues have come from Walmart, or did some of them come direct from Kobo.

I don't have a Kobo but have been thinking about getting one.
Wally
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:53 AM   #13
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Not on sale yet on Walmart Canada, but I did notice a big back-to-school banner when I went to their homepage.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:04 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Maybe, Kobo is gearing up to release a new 6 inch model and Walmart is trying to get rid of them. Anyway, it is probably not important to speculate on why they are doing it, unless you think they are pushing shoddy models, then to just be glad they are doing it.

They Were at Best buy several years ago..... slow sales killed that deal.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 07-25-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:17 AM   #15
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
They Were at Best buy several years ago..... slow sales killed that deal.
Not entirely... Best Buy Canada still sell Kobo: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=kobo
teija is offline   Reply With Quote