Notices

Old 02-05-2023, 08:23 PM   #1
Sunshine82
Enthusiast
Sunshine82 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Beginner Questions

Hi, all.

I am lumping a few questions together. I have finished reading the Calibre manual and feel better acquainted with the program.

1) Can someone please explain the concept of Polish? How is metadata used to generate more metadata in a way that is different from searching for metadata (and generating it from) online? Also, I continue to get an error message when trying to use the Polish command with Epub and AZW3 ebooks.

2) What happens when separate book records of the same book that is divided into different formats are merged and then exported? Does Calibre make an automated decision about which format to export or is there a dialogue window allowing the user to choose which file type to export?

3) Where is the "Add subcategory" command located? When I right click within the Tags section, I don't see any such option. [I have attached a screenshot to show my view.]

4) I apologize if this is a stigmatizing question (it's not clear to me if this is a file management question that is being explicitly addressed in the FAQs section), but is it possible to change the default location of the Calibre library to an external drive? (I am concerned about running out of space on my computer.) Or does this qualify as tampering with the program's innate coding?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 15.03.46.png
Views:	136
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	199505  
Sunshine82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1) Polish does a bit of cleanup and updating as configured. It performs this ON the Library copy (what you see is only added to exported books)
Polish is not a conversion, thus make minimal changes.

2) Device settings (you do that while attached); Right click: configure device.
The order is the preferred version (if ticked). The first is the one used for Auto-convert if allowed are not avail.

3)I think this is Preferences: Look & Feel: Partitioning... (a tab). The menu allows it to be 'excepted'

4)Absolutely AS LONG AS IT IS ATTACHED (no NAS, No shared). A Spinning HD is recommended over a SD/flash type. Use disk management to lock the drive letter (above any likely to be used. L: (for Library) to keep the location stable. Right click the Library Icon: Switch/ Create: Move to...
The configuration folder will remain in your (per)user preferences (it is fairly small)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:38 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1) post screenshot of options used for Polish books and the error message - there should be a copy to clipboard option.

2) Preferences->Save to Disk has settings to control what, where and how (folder and file names) books are saved.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:18 PM   #4
Sunshine82
Enthusiast

Thank you for the help!

I have a few followup questions.

1) Does the updating involve the searching and confirmation of ebook metadata? And if "what you see is only added to exported books," does this mean that the changes that occur aren't visible within Calibre's library? [I have attached shots of the error message I am still getting.]

2) I figured this issue out. But for a book record that contains multiple formats, is there a way to manually select which format is exported to a device separately from the automated settings that are set up globally within Calibre?

3) I'm definitely still confused on this issue. I have attached some screenshots showing the displayed options within settings as well as the right-click options within the Genre tags section in the sidebar. Does "partitioning" refer to the changes in subcategorization within the file hierarchy (genres: non-fiction: science, history, etc.)? What does the "excepted" setting do? And when would it be helpful to change the subcategorization theme? (Would the latter command help me set up deeper tiers within the Genre tags section?) [I have attached shots of the views I am seeing within Preferences as well as the sidebar.]

4) Am I right in assuming that if I move the default location for the Calibre library, I can rename it whatever and place it wherever I'd like? Is there a best practice to adhere to other than locking the drive?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Polishing Error.png
Views:	98
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	199576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing Error 2.png
Views:	93
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	199577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Partitioning & Collapsing.png
Views:	86
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	199578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Subcategorization Theme.png
Views:	76
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	199579  
Old 02-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Partitioning is usually when there is a lot of Values in a column:
Like Authors that last names begin with M (I have 264. Q has 6)
Excepted just means Don't do it for this field

IMHO Partitioning Languages? how many? Would what you have make the list of those LONG? I know many members are poly lingual, but I would be surprised if their Library had 10

Polish only works on books that have (computer readable)metadata embedded. That is what the message is trying to say.

What you see is SAVED METADATA (in the old days, that would be the Card Catalog). Every line is linked to a (set) of formats for A BOOK. Some people do NOT want to embed as that leave the original, as published. Your choice.

The Folder name (that contains metadata.db and all the folders is the Library name. All you need to do is re-link the new name (if you did not use Move. Move could be a simple Rename, with the files not actually being rewritten.)

Don't over think this. You can change partitioning without a major upset. It is a Presentation setting.
IMHO do worry a bit about planning custom metadata, tags. Those are a lot of work to go back and redo.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:15 PM   #6
Sunshine82
Enthusiast

Thank you for the help. It's beginning to make more sense.

Is there an equivalent command to "polish" for ebooks without embedded metadata? Is there a way to embed saved metadata?

I have moved the Calibre library to my external drive, however, it appears that the actual ebooks themselves have not been migrated. Is there a specific command to migrate the ebooks in addition to the Calibre data? [I have attached a screenshot displaying my view.]

Regarding the creation of sub-categories within customized tag sections (like what I am trying to do for book genres), it still is not clear to me how this is done. I don't see an explicit Create Sub-category button (or any equivalent). I would still like to add telescoping fields within the tags section, if that is possible (again: Non-fiction --> Science (Geology, Physics, etc.), History (-->20th Century, Medieval, etc.). What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 19.06.15.png
Views:	92
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	199580  
Old 02-08-2023, 01:01 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Books (title folders) are Inside Authors folders
Those contain formats.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #8
Sunshine82
Enthusiast

I am still not following. Why wouldn't I be able to see the ebooks visibly? I do see some ebooks in some folders; but the files corresponding with the ebooks appear seemingly inconsistently within the Calibre file management library.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:07 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine82 View Post
I am still not following. Why wouldn't I be able to see the ebooks visibly? I do see some ebooks in some folders; but the files corresponding with the ebooks appear seemingly inconsistently within the Calibre file management library.
If you don't SEE the standard arrangement, it is probably:
1) someone was messing below the skirts and change something. AKA Damaged (Library Maintenance should help identify) Treat the entire structure as a black box. Only Calibre is to make changes.
2) The Library is on A network Share or Cloud/NAS. It only take 2 connections to the same Library to mess it up. Also file Timing MUST remain in lock step. Delays are not good.

3) What you are looking FOR, is not what is in the Library as expected. Something about thee is different. Quality Check Plugin and Find Duplicate Plugin are the easiest way to locate these issues.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:53 AM   #10
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine82 View Post

Regarding the creation of sub-categories within customized tag sections (like what I am trying to do for book genres), it still is not clear to me how this is done. I don't see an explicit Create Sub-category button (or any equivalent). I would still like to add telescoping fields within the tags section, if that is possible (again: Non-fiction --> Science (Geology, Physics, etc.), History (-->20th Century, Medieval, etc.). What am I missing?
If you are trying to set up sub-categories do the following an see if it creates what you want.

Create the Category and sub-category by adding an entry containing both names seperated by a dot.

Non-fiction.Science.Geology
Non-fiction.Science.Physics
Non-fiction.History.20th Century
Non-fiction.History.Medieval
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:10 PM   #11
Sunshine82
Enthusiast

Regarding the issue with the sub-categories, thanks, @ Sunlite, I figured it out.

Regarding the issue with the migrated Calibre library location, @theducks, it's still not clear to me what is happening.

1) The library was migrated to a hard drive is used for other general purposes. Additionally, the library now exists in a folder that shares a root folder with other neighboring folders. Is this a problem? What is involved with Library Maintenance? Is there a default command within Calibre for this?

2) The library is not on a network shared or NAS/CLOUD setting. I don't tamper with the library. How can I better manage delays or file timing?

3) Do either of the plugins you suggested help search for missing ebooks entirely?

Thank you for the help!
Old 02-18-2023, 04:21 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

3) Library Maintenance is a menu item on the Library Icon.
It cleans the obsolete records (a 'delete' is just a flag) and packs the data.
the second phase looks for disagreements between the files (found/not found) and what the DB says there should be. YOU have to resolve these manualy.

Slowness can be caused by over aggressive A/V.
Whitelist the Library folder for real time scans (you can leave it for a Regular/manual scan) as the books are scanned when you download to your PC, before adding to Calibre
Old 02-18-2023, 09:05 PM   #13
Sunshine82
Enthusiast

Great, I found the Library Maintenance button. Thanks so much.

This raises some new questions:

1) After checking my library, the majority of my books seem to appear in the Missing Book Format section. Does this imply that there was an issue when I migrated the location of the Calibre library to my external hard drive? Perhaps this confirms the suspicion that I have about "missing" books in my hard drive.

2) Is there a way to command Calibre to search for the missing books? Or is it better to simply delete the items in my library and re-import them?

3) It is still not clear to me what the purpose is of the "Fix Marked" command in Library Maintenance. The following instruction in Library Maintenance seems quite fatal: "Use this if you are not going to restore the formats from a backup." What does Calibre do if this command is selected -- delete them?

4) What is the ideal way to migrate an existing library as it is to a new location? I am confused as to the difference between the following two commands: "Use the previously existing library at the new location." And "Move the current library to the new location." Am I right in assuming that the latter command would be ideal as default for most people in normal contexts? When would the first command be preferable? Is a "previously existing library" based upon some memory of a library that Calibre has backed up?

5) I am using a Mac, not PC. Does this matter regarding whitelisting? And what are the scans that you are referencing? Are these security scans or scans by Calibre?
Old 02-18-2023, 10:22 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Missing is either really Missing (gone) or has moved (now is a different book entry)
This is one of the perils of delayed writes or network delays OR 2 way mirroring (the mirror is trying to restore a (partial) changing book)
Old 02-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #15
Sunshine82
Enthusiast

Good to know. Many questions remain from above, but, for now, I could use some clarification around the specific point you raise.

Again, I am a Mac user using an external hard drive for my Calibre library storage. I don't know if I have delayed writing enable on my hard drive. (How does one check for this setting?) I am not using a network drive.

Lastly, my hard drive is being backed up by another external hard drive. Are backups an example of two-way mirroring? If so, is the "mirror" in question the hard drive initiating the backup? What then is the best practice for managing the Calibre library that is being simultaneously accessed by another hard drive for purpose of backing up?