Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
add font to kindle

hello i made this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295556 but after a few try i think i can't solve the problem with the file (no idea if the options are just ignored or that doesn't works)
how i can add a font with emojis compatibility on the kindle? i think the font package is outdated (i have 5.9.x)
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
hello i made this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295556 but after a few try i think i can't solve the problem with the file (no idea if the options are just ignored or that doesn't works)
how i can add a font with emojis compatibility on the kindle? i think the font package is outdated (i have 5.9.x)
The answers you received to that post remain correct.
Follow them.

Where are you getting the package you think is outdated? (link please).
What model are you writing about? (use our nickname for the model)
Is the device jail broken?
Have you updated all of our add-ins since the most recent firmware update?
Have you changed the device's registration at any time?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Trigun
Connoisseur

i have pw3 5.9.4
is jail broken and the addon i was talking is in the sticked post and point here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=219405 (on the last page 1 guy writed that with 5.8.x didn't work and he downgraded the firmware and for this reason i didn't tried the addon)
i don't know what is the "device's registration" and how to change it so i don't think i did :-)

if the answer is correct i need to do something else for enable the font on the kindle? it use "bookerly"
**edit** i noticed i should have enabled "use editor font" on the kindle, now i see a different font but still no emoji :-(
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Trigun
Connoisseur

ok i downloaded a font https://github.com/MorbZ/OpenSansEmoji and used this font instead the default calibre fonts and it worked ^_^ now i only need to find a fix for send azw3 files on the @kindle.com mail
Old 03-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Solution is to side load and forget emailing. If you want/need this on multiple devices, side load on those as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Trigun
Connoisseur

i use mail bc i made a small program like a rss feeder and send me all the stuff i read on the kindle ^_^
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Then your not going to be able to embed the font you need since Mobi doesn't do embedded fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
i have pw3 5.9.4
is jail broken and the addon i was talking is in the sticked post and point here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=219405 (on the last page 1 guy writed that with 5.8.x didn't work and he downgraded the firmware and for this reason i didn't tried the addon)
i don't know what is the "device's registration" and how to change it so i don't think i did :-)

if the answer is correct i need to do something else for enable the font on the kindle? it use "bookerly"
**edit** i noticed i should have enabled "use editor font" on the kindle, now i see a different font but still no emoji :-(
Did you happen to notice the date of that attachment?
I know you ignored the directions to always check NiLuJe's snapshot thread for the most recent build.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Trigun
Connoisseur

i tried the last and it works (btw in the last page was the link of the last version and he said that it wasn't working for this reason i didn't tried before the post ^_^ ) what i don't understand is how works ^_^ i overraided the bookerly font with another but i don't understand how select the font to override (but i don't think this is the right place)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then your not going to be able to embed the font you need since Mobi doesn't do embedded fonts.
But it is possible to change the extension of an epub to png or txt and email it to amazon for conversion to azw3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane View Post
I just tried it works great , just changed epub to .png.
I use Calibre for all my Files but this be a quick way for my not so techie friends to do convert work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

I tried it with .txt and it worked.

Yes, TOC worked for me on the one book I tried.

One drawback: If you email the epub with a .png or .txt, etc. extension, the title will be the filename and the author will be your email address; whereas, if you convert the epub through KindleGen (or Calibre) first then email the resulting .mobi, the Kindle will pick up the title and author from the OPF. However, if you use the Send-to-Kindle app, the app allows you to input the title and author before sending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I concur. I'm definitely getting an AZW3.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is not true. A Master-MOBI contains both the old MOBI and new KF8 formats in one file. It can be emailed to your Amazon account and the KF8 portion will be delivered to your Kindle, along with any embedded fonts it contains.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is not true. A Master-MOBI contains both the old MOBI and new KF8 formats in one file. It can be emailed to your Amazon account and the KF8 portion will be delivered to your Kindle, along with any embedded fonts it contains.
So, in summary, the best method is to generate a Master-MOBI with kindlegen or kindle previewer and email that to amazon, as jhowell patiently posted in the original thread, but that got lost in all the FUD.

Alternatively, an epub can be generated, renamed as txt or png, and emailed to amazon, if, for some reason, kindlegen, etc. is not a viable option.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Trigun
Connoisseur

funny ... after the font addon and override the font with 1 with emoji now all font have emoji... i reverted to the default font and i still have the emoji ^_^ (with mobi file too)