Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2022, 12:59 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
RIP my Kobo Aura H2O

Well, I unexpectedly had some workmen show up yesterday for some long overdue repairs. After they left I discovered the screen on my Kobo Aura H2O was cracked and unresponsive.

So now the question becomes: How long before I cave and buy a Libra 2? Or, maybe... a refurbished Forma?

Last edited by ottdmk; 09-25-2022 at 01:02 AM.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Well, I unexpectedly had some workmen show up yesterday for some long overdue repairs. After they left I discovered the screen on my Kobo Aura H2O was cracked and unresponsive.

So now the question becomes: How long before I cave and buy a Libra 2? Or, maybe... a refurbished Forma?
Tomorrow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Buy a libra2 or if you want bigger, a Sage, today.
I gave an original H2O to one of my grandchildren and unless it's dirt at the bezel it's faulty as it keeps freezing. Not seen it yet as I've had the "wrecking" workmen for 3 days now so couldn't go out.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

For a long time, I thought I’d get a Forma, as I prefer the shape compared to the blockier Sage. But it’s getting awfully old at this point so I’ve moved on and once my Aura One goes paws up, I’ll get whatever 8” Kobo is current. The Forma price never dropped to what I considered reasonable for a defunct device. Get the Libra 2.

That said, my condolences on your H2O. Mine is still going gangbusters; even the battery life isn’t bad, considering its age.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I gave an original H2O to one of my grandchildren and unless it's dirt at the bezel it's faulty as it keeps freezing. Not seen it yet as I've had the "wrecking" workmen for 3 days now so couldn't go out.
Was bezel dirt.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I haven't caved yet, which I find remarkable... but I've basically decided to go with the Libra 2. I like the Forma form factor, and I like the Mobius tech, but the cost savings on the Libra 2 plus the extra storage has been the tipping point. (Interestingly, I doubt I'll ever use the extra storage as I'm not an audiobook person, but it's nice that it's there.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #7
isaacbh
Connoisseur
isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Can I ask how's the screen of the libra 2 compared to h2o? I have the h2o and still use it every day, but the battery is showing its age. I got the forma but I will probably sell it. Yes it's 300ppi and very light but the contrast compared to h2o is poor. Side by side the letters on the h2o are inky black. Maybe I just got lucky with it, but I'm not going back to a muddier screen. Does the screen on the libra 2 just as contrasty in your opinion?
isaacbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Forma price never dropped to what I considered reasonable for a defunct device.
So much this! I find it hard to believe that on my store at least Kobo is still offering it for around 90-95% the price of the Sage. Fwiw, the latest firmware updates and feature additions have made the Sage a worthwhile candidate, imo. I'd love it if Kobo decided to double down on the Elipsa as their note taker, enhancing it and focusing the "Sage 2" as a reader only. If they did, it would be the Libra killer

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 10-06-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'd certainly be interested in an 8" Libra. I have no desire for the writing features of the Sage, nor for the poor battery life associated with them.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:55 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacbh View Post
Can I ask how's the screen of the libra 2 compared to h2o? I have the h2o and still use it every day, but the battery is showing its age. I got the forma but I will probably sell it. Yes it's 300ppi and very light but the contrast compared to h2o is poor. Side by side the letters on the h2o are inky black. Maybe I just got lucky with it, but I'm not going back to a muddier screen. Does the screen on the libra 2 just as contrasty in your opinion?
I went from an H2O edition 2 to a Libra 2, and the screen is terrific. Nothing bad about my H2O screen, the Libra 2 is just a slight step up for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:48 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I went from an H2O edition 2 to a Libra 2, and the screen is terrific. Nothing bad about my H2O screen, the Libra 2 is just a slight step up for me.

Yes, my Libra 2 screen is also absolutely wonderful!
It's almost like someone ordered a Kobo executive into a dark room, and then proceeded to beat this person up with a feather until he or she agreed to put out a Kobo with an incredible screen.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote