Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #31
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You are thinking of the "Popular Highlights" option.

When you select multiple lines of text in a book a highlight is automatically created from the selected text. If the "Highlights Menu" option is ON a menu will popup with choices including an "Undo" button. If the option is OFF then the highlight is created, but no menu pops up.
Ah, I see. Interesting, my Kindle Oasis (2017) doesn't have this option with 5.9.5 installed!
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #32
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Ah, I see. Interesting, my Kindle Oasis (2017) doesn't have this option with 5.9.5 installed!
Have you tried synching your Oasis as jhowell mentioned?

Quote:
I see the option. See the attached screenshot.

I saw a comment on another forum that you need to sync your device online before the option becomes available. I don't know whether that is actually true.
The highlight option is available on both my first and second generation Oasis.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #33
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Have you tried synching your Oasis as jhowell mentioned?
I hadn't tried it, but now I have. It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just a comment, I do believe this specific message was from back in 2016. It was a critical update necessary for older e-ink Kindles to be able to continue downloading purchased ebooks from Amazon via wi-fi.
Hm, yes, you are right. Looks like I have polluted this topic with some misleading misinformation.

Sorry folks! Live and learn, I suppose!
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #34
rosemaryknits
rosemaryknits began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
I have a PW2, 6th gen.

When I updated to 5.9.4, my battery life went from 20 hours to about 8. I was running the clock while reading, so I'm not sure if it was the new update, or the new way of having the clock on the screen.

I have updated to 5.9.5 and now, turned off the clock option, and now my battery life is about 4 hours. I want to cry. Any advice? Is it the update?

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but I am currently reading a book and when I tap the three dots in the upper right, the "sync to furthest page read" words are greyed out. I've never had a book where this is greyed out. Could it be a glitch in this particular book which is running out the battery? (it is actually a doc, not a proper kindle book)

On a different forum, someone suggested resetting - I would like to try that, only I hate the thought of getting everything back how I want it - do you have any suggestions? I'm thinking of maybe screen shotting all of my different folders/screens?

Any help on these two questions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited to add - I have done a restart, and a restart where I let it go "white" several times while holding the button. I have not yet reset. I have checked - nothing is indexing. Also, I installed this update, manually.
Thanks.

Last edited by rosemaryknits; 04-16-2018 at 01:19 PM.
rosemaryknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryknits View Post
I have a PW2, 6th gen.

When I updated to 5.9.4, my battery life went from 20 hours to about 8. I was running the clock while reading, so I'm not sure if it was the new update, or the new way of having the clock on the screen.

I have updated to 5.9.5 and now, turned off the clock option, and now my battery life is about 4 hours. I want to cry. Any advice? Is it the update?

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but I am currently reading a book and when I tap the three dots in the upper right, the "sync to furthest page read" words are greyed out. I've never had a book where this is greyed out. Could it be a glitch in this particular book which is running out the battery? (it is actually a doc, not a proper kindle book)

On a different forum, someone suggested resetting - I would like to try that, only I hate the thought of getting everything back how I want it - do you have any suggestions? I'm thinking of maybe screen shotting all of my different folders/screens?

Any help on these two questions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited to add - I have done a restart, and a restart where I let it go "white" several times while holding the button. I have not yet reset. I have checked - nothing is indexing. Also, I installed this update, manually.
Thanks.
Other folkss may have other ideas but the only ones that I can think of involve persistent indexing. Two cases: 1) you have a corrupted file and indexing keeps trying and failing to index it, or 2) your My Clippings file is getting very large and every new annotation triggers indexing of this large file.

This is what I do to check case 1):

- go to Home
- type a period in search control and press ‘return’ button to search in all results
- if something is indexing then Text in Books will be enabled and tapping on that will list the items being indexed

For 2), if you have created a lot of annotations over the lifetime of the device, it may be time to delete My Clippings and start over (back it up first if you side-load content). If it is getting large then your Kindle spends a lot of time indexing it every time you add a new note, and maybe that is draining power. If you delete you will not lose any annotations you’ve made for cloud-stored content.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:53 AM   #36
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you delete you will not lose any annotations you’ve made for cloud-stored content.
More precisely, no annotations at all are lost, but there’s no way to retrieve annotations for sideloaded content once deleted, hence the substitute myclippings.txt
I think it’s a good idea to use a Kindle clippings manager from time to time to backup annotations.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #37
rosemaryknits

Tomsem, Thanks so much for your reply.

I deleted (backed up first) MyClippings, and it still seems that the device's battery is draining awfully quickly. I guess that my next step is to do a factory reset and hope for the best. I took screenshots of all of my folders and etc, so I hope to get everything back like it was.

(I had, previously, checked for indexing - nothing is stuck.)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryknits View Post
Tomsem, Thanks so much for your reply.

I deleted (backed up first) MyClippings, and it still seems that the device's battery is draining awfully quickly. I guess that my next step is to do a factory reset and hope for the best. I took screenshots of all of my folders and etc, so I hope to get everything back like it was.

(I had, previously, checked for indexing - nothing is stuck.)
Maybe a Restart will be sufficient.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #39
rosemaryknits

I've restarted several times, once holding the button through several white screens. No help. I have many sideloaded articles, so I am reading my way through them, then I'll do a reset and see if that helps. It would be a total pain in the arse to re-find and re-load these articles, so I'll just keep plugging it in every night until I work my way through them.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #40
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I see the option. See the attached screenshot.

I saw a comment on another forum that you need to sync your device online before the option becomes available. I don't know whether that is actually true.
The sync online option is true. I initially didn't have the "Highlight Menu" as an option. I connected to wifi, synced my Kindle and now I have that menu option.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #41
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i just updated to 5.9.5 (manually by getting the update file onto the kindle) on my oasis 2017. after completion, it seems to be frozen/very slow to respond. could it be busy re-indexing? has anyone experienced this?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #42
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
hew. got it sorted. don't know what happened. but i was able to get it back. i re-downloaded the update file and placed it in the kindle again and restarted the device. when it started up it updated again without me manually initiating the update. after completion, it was back to normal.

but the process was painfully slow. each tap took 15-30 seconds to take effect. and the screen was never fully refreshed. a few seconds after each tap, i had to keep on closing and re-opening the cover to get it to the screen to refresh enough to be able to see what i was tapping on.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #43
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I always update my two Paperwhites and it's always gone flawlessly. Lucky me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #44
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@rosemaryknits Any update? I've got a PW2 and am leery on updating if you're still having issues.

Last edited by just_jeepin; 04-26-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to tag a person
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #45
rosemaryknits

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
@rosemaryknits Any update? I've got a PW2 and am leery on updating if you're still having issues.

You know, this is going to sound very "woo woo" but I think that my problem was a particular BOOK!

I did many variations of restart (touch "restart" on the screen, and also where you hold the button down for several flashes of the white screen - something like 40 seconds - this generally solves any problem) and it didn't help. I did a factory reset, and now, the battery lasted four hours. I wanted to cry. Husband suggested the last in first out procedure, where I just tossed the most recent book, and I think it worked. It's not been enough time yet to really be sure, but the battery has at least lasted more than four hours.

What was so odd about this book is that I downloaded it onto my paperwhite from the cloud, but when I looked at "about this book" it said "delete from device" rather than the usual "remove from device." One is given the "delete" option when one sideloads something, not when one downloads the book from the cloud. This book also didn't sync from my paperwhite to my kindle fire, or to my android phone app. However, the book synced between the fire and the android app. My hypothesis is that the book didn't have the proper code for the paperwhite, and it was somehow continuing to try to communicate with the cloud?

The reason why I didn't think of this right at the first is because I didn't need to or try to remove the book while I was still reading it. It wasn't until I was done with the book that I realized that it said "delete" instead of "remove." I was aware that it wasn't syncing, though, so that should have been a red flag.

I uploaded this book on the same night that I had installed the latest upgrade, so I just wasn't connecting the dots. I should have, because I have had a wonky book in the past. I had one where it prevented the paperwhite from functioning properly - it's been a long while, and I forgot the symptoms, but it was something like it disengaged the touch screen or something. I remember that the only way that I could remove it was to plug it into my computer and find the book and its file folder by digging around in the documents folder.

A few years ago, I used epubor (something like this, I don't remember the actual name) where one was able to do a trial version of a membership, and strip the drm from a few books to test the membership. I do believe that this was one of those books. I downloaded another from that period to my paperwhite, and the same thing - "delete" instead of "remove." So odd.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Also, you can't avoid the updates, unless you never hook up with wifi ever again. You can manually update (which is my suggestion, I've had wifi updates screw up) or wait and let Amazon do it for you, but you will be updated!

RST